Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 4 of 13
Re: 2019 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
cricketjerry-mouse 02 May, 2019 17:53
Sussex lost four wickets in the last six balls, one of them a wide. Hampshire by nine runs.

wsm fan 02 May, 2019 18:13
Perfect result for us.
Simple now. Win 2 and we 99.9% get a home semi.
Also we will now very likely qualify in top 3 by only winning 1, unless Sussex & Middkesex both win both their remaining 2 matches
From the start with 4 of first 6 being away i'd have happily taken this strong position with 2 home matches at a packed Taunton to come.
All up to us now.

nelliec 02 May, 2019 18:20
Lets hope Surrey take their one day cricket form into the 4 day matches

Somerset LaLaLa 02 May, 2019 18:57
The Surrey scorecard looks a bit of a shocker, plenty of good players, I can only think they are luring us into a false sense of security

Clarence Parker 02 May, 2019 19:55
Sorry, I can not confirm that the photograph was taken at Clarence Park.

Somerset LaLaLa 02 May, 2019 20:46
Clarence Park was a compact ground surrounded by a mix of large limestone buildings / newer flats and trees everywhere on the perimeter. Of course there may have been fewer trees and buildings in those times, but it doesn't look like Clarence Park to me

geordie moonraker 02 May, 2019 22:27
Hants/sussex was far and away the result we wanted-a narrow win for Hants. The ball is back in our own court now.

Cleavo 02 May, 2019 22:42
Quote:
wsm fan
Azhar Ali to be the second T20 overseas player, you heard it here first!
Absolutely no source whatsoever just the longer it goes without announcing one the more likely the simplest option becomes Azhar......

Signing Azhar as second T20 overseas player would be ridiculous. Solid enough batter, but not a T20 player.

We need some X factor and firepower of a similar ilk to Corey Anderson if we want to go one step further this year. Not sure who’s out there that is available.

Jimmy Neesham? Colin De Grandhomme? David Miller? Marcus Stoinis?

I’d imagine that this question will be raised again at the next members Q&A during the Warwickshire CC game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 22:54 by Cleavo.

Scrumper 02 May, 2019 23:30
I thought we had Jerome Taylor again?

wsm fan 03 May, 2019 06:48
I didn't say it would be the right decision, but the easiest cop out one.....

No news on Davies contract either......

Roger ivanhoe 03 May, 2019 08:26
The rumoured possible signing of Jos Buttler would also surely have a bearing on a short or longer term contract being offered to Steven Davies.

I cannot think S.D. can or will be happy playing no first team white ball cricket, when he is quoted as saying he will be putting his name in the hat for the 100,wham bam stuff.

wsm fan 03 May, 2019 08:49
Exactly Roger.

For solid county players the "100" is a big thing, it's a chance of decent money and exposure.

The same logic applies to Leach Bess Abell Overton x2 Gregory Banton, this is a big shop window so not playing white ball for Somerset in 2019 is really not going to help them get in the frame for one of those 96 spots.

Phantom 03 May, 2019 11:55
Quote:
Somerset LaLaLa
Clarence Park was a compact ground surrounded by a mix of large limestone buildings / newer flats and trees everywhere on the perimeter. Of course there may have been fewer trees and buildings in those times, but it doesn't look like Clarence Park to me

I live by Clarence Park and would 99% say it is NOT there

The reason I only say 99% the house in the background to the left of Fred Rumsey with the M shaped roof with another higher roof above it is 100% not there today, and the properties surrounding the park are all very old

Farmer White 03 May, 2019 13:03
This is just a punt on the cricket ground in the Guardian article picture. Could it be Brentwood? I used to drive past it on the way to work and it is very open like the one in the picture but I can't remember the detail of what the surrounds looked like because it was surrounded by trees from recollection - or my eye might just have been on the road.

Somerset played Essex there in 1963 and the four players in the picture all played.

The only photo I could find of the ground is a modern one and only shows the Pavilion and a bit either side which is not as helpful as it could be. The angles are different too. However look at the trees to the right of the Pavilion in both pictures. The link to the picture of the ground, for what it is worth is below:

[www.google.com]:

If you want to compare you probably need to have the two pictures open in separate windows and flick between. If anyone has actually been into the ground they might be able to stop this hare in its tracks.

Here is the link to the Guardian article which might make it a bit easier:

[www.theguardian.com]

The location of the sightscreen in the Guardian picture is also consistent with the direction of the wicket in the modern picture. The Pavilion is square of the wicket.
Farmer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 13:39 by Farmer White.

Loyal of Lhasa 04 May, 2019 16:38
I think I picked up a story a few weeks ago that Kane Williamson is to marry a young woman from Glastonbury - or did I dream that? Somebody must know more about it than me...

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bagpuss 04 May, 2019 22:27
I haven't heard the rumour LoL but I'm sure there's a limerick in there somewhere

Grockle 04 May, 2019 22:52
I seem to remember some twitter traffic about his girlfriend being English but no more than that.

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse 04 May, 2019 23:30
Does this mean he qualifies for Somerset?

Scrumper 04 May, 2019 23:43
First he must prove his wizardry with fire.

MisterMurph 05 May, 2019 08:06
Could it be our captains sister? Now you could write a book about that...

cricketjerry-mouse 05 May, 2019 17:45
Now you can see why the ECB paid Glamorgan £2million not to stage an Ashes Test.

For at today`s T20 match against Pakistan in Cardiff, a water sprinkler cover sprang open and sent David Willey staggering, during his delivery run-up in only the third over of the match.

He limped for a short while and was extremely fortunate to avoid serous injury. Just imagine it had been Mitchell Starc or Billy Stanlake in an Ashes Test!

Kingston Black 05 May, 2019 17:59
You've got the correct county Farmer - I think the mystery cricket ground is Chalkwell Park, Westcliff-on-Sea. Why? The Shutterstock photo archive confirms that it was taken in Essex on the 20th July 1965...

Shutterstock Archive

So it must have been the final day of this match, which Somerset won by an innings and 2 runs:

Essex v Somerset 1965

KB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2019 19:19 by Kingston Black.

Clarence Parker 05 May, 2019 20:21
Thanks for that Kingston Black - a smart piece of detective work. I knew from first glance that the ground in question was not Clarence Park.

Having seen the scorecard, I am now wondering if it was Colin Atkinson who was leading the team off the field, and not Brian Langford.

I guess we will never know for certain.

Kingston Black 05 May, 2019 22:15
Thank you Clarence. The scorecard suggests that both Fred Rumsey and Colin Atkinson bowled extremely well in that match. Interestingly, it seems that Somerset led the County Championship table in June 1965 so not the worst season in our history (although it is a little before my time).

KB

MisterMurph 06 May, 2019 08:21
Chalkwell Park is an interesting ground...the 2 pitches overlap, so you can field at square leg on one pitch and be standing with your back to the action at point on the other pitch.

cricketjerry-mouse 06 May, 2019 11:06
Does anyone else here feel that Yorkshire are giving the V sign to the ECB Cricket Discipline Committee by naming Tom Kohler-Cadmore as captain against Durham today.

Kohler-Cadmore, along with Nottinghamshire`s Joe Clarke (who is also playing today) was suspended just four days ago from playing for England at any level, ahead of the Discipline Committee deciding whether to consider further action over the remarks of the judge at the rape trial of former Worcestershire player Alex Hepburn.

The judge described the WhatsApp sex `game`, in which all three players took part when together at Worcestershire, as`a pathetic sexist game to collect as many sexual encounters as possible`.

In any other profession, anyone told they may face disciplinary proceedings (for whatever reason) would be immediately suspended - not made captain.

I wonder how this sits with the ECB`s avowed attempts to attract more women and children to the game - as players and spectators.

Bagpuss 06 May, 2019 14:17
I'm not sure Yorkshire's team selection will 'sit too well' with their red friends over the Pennines either. With no chance of qualification Yorkshire are playing 5 players who, in the eyes of the ECB, probably fall well into the 'development' category.

Yorkshire's opponents, Durham, are the only team who can knock Lancashire out of the top 3 in the North group.

Cleavo 06 May, 2019 16:58
Luckily for the Red Rose the weather gods favoured then and Durham fall victim to them.

So, if Somerset finish 2nd then we’ll have a home play off v Lancashire and if we finish 3rd it will be Worcestershire or Notts away depending on the outcome of their matches.

Shepton Paul 2 09 May, 2019 08:02
Westcliff-on-Sea? Excellent - delighted I set that hare running - top detective work, chaps.

Phantom 09 May, 2019 08:53
Quote:
Shepton Paul 2
Westcliff-on-Sea? Excellent - delighted I set that hare running - top detective work, chaps.

Great call !

Here are the houses in the original picture

[www.google.com]

Current Page: 4 of 13

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net