Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 5 of 13
Re: 2019 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Somerset LaLaLa 09 May, 2019 09:49
I bet they're getting lots of google hits from Somerset right now.

From Clarence Park in Weston-super-Mare to Chalkwell Park in Westcliff-on-Sea, the joy of outgrounds

Kingston Black 09 May, 2019 09:54
A decade or so ago (at least it feels like a decade) we used to play a "spot the ground" game on this site, where someone would post a google earth picture of a cricket ground from above so that respondents could try and identify it. Quite entertaining while it lasted...

KB

Grockle 09 May, 2019 11:15
That was a 'Bloke' initiative, who posts very occasionally now but was welcomed back by Tractor and others after what seems like a long absence. Hope you are still checking in occasionally sir.

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse 14 May, 2019 12:39
After pathetic crowds at The Oval and Southampton for the ODIs against Pakistan last wicket, the stands look pretty full at Bristol today.

The ECB will be kicking themselves though, for after `awarding` Bristol an ODI on a working Tuesday, they find unwelcome support has turned up on a non Hundred-playing ground for 2020.

AGod 14 May, 2019 12:50
And, given the current table, we must root against Dom, really.

Bagpuss 14 May, 2019 12:51
Wonder how many of those at Bristol today are Somerset supporters

Shepton Paul 2 14 May, 2019 13:09
Imran Tahir has joined Surrey for the T20 - according to BBC, they become his eighth (8th!!!) county. Idiotic.

hantssabre 14 May, 2019 14:39
CJM - you may have thought the crowd at the Rose Bowl was pathetic but I think you will find it was sold out so there may have been empty seats but they were sold empty seats!

AGod 14 May, 2019 14:40
That's all Bransgrove would care about.

AGod 16 May, 2019 18:33
Apparently the ECB plan to further weaken county cricket by awarding full central contracts to all white ball internationals, per the Evening Standard.

cricketjerry-mouse 16 May, 2019 20:10
What are the odds on Peter Moores still being head coach at Trent Bridge come the end of the summer?

Two championship defeats for Nottinghamshire in succession, both in under two-and-a-half days, to Somerset and Essex.

And not a single contribution of note - or barely at all - from the four "future England star" he collected from fellow Midlands counties in the winter, while the one he poached from Durham last year missed the entire summer through injury and is hors de combat again.

AGod 16 May, 2019 20:39
Moores clearly can’t be blamed for the injury to Coughlin.

At the same time, I think Moores’s ‘reputation,’ was mainly made by dint of happening to be the guy who was in charge of Sussex when Mushy was at his zenith (and ditto Chris Adams with Sussex).

Notts are a poor side, but they’ve been a little unlucky with certain situations viz, for example, the two Taylors.

Somerset LaLaLa 17 May, 2019 17:37
Not an expert on drafts, except the ones at various points of the County Ground, however Azhar Ali's name is on the CPL 2019 list. Does this mean, if successful, he won't be here in September or merely he wanted to get his name noticed for future tournaments?

[www.cplt20.com]

AGod 17 May, 2019 18:03
I assume that it would, indeed, mean that - yes.

However, I suspect there’s a good chance that he won’t be bought

Bagpuss 18 May, 2019 17:32
The CPL runs from early September to mid October. My understanding is that if a team wants to recruit a player later in the tournament as an injury replacement, that player has to have been listed on the original draft. It is possible Azhar Ali could stay with Somerset until the end of our season - or until his presence was no longer essential - but then be available for a call up to the CPL.

Grockle 18 May, 2019 21:18
That seems to be the case with Kent players who are involved.

(Sm72)

MisterMurph 20 May, 2019 17:11
18 days later and he is making his debut for Kent - with 4 wickets so far...
Quote:
MisterMurph
Do Somerset have a 2nd overseas 20:20 player? There is a fantastic young South African who hasn’t made it in to the SA WC squad but looks like he’ll play for Kent. As a hard hitting all rounder and more importantly a most humble and polite chap, I will wish Wiaan Mulder every success this year.

Grockle 20 May, 2019 17:29
I liked the look of our second man and his ton during the England v Pakistan game

(Sm72)

AGod 20 May, 2019 18:05
Yes, Grockle. Babar Azam does look a very accomplished batsman. He made 80 in the next match as well (which was the final one).

Even making 16 in front of me in a rain-ruined match at the Oval, the other week, he looked like a very decisive and confident batsman.

Shepton Paul 2 21 May, 2019 08:45
Just trying to clarify: with Vince and Dawson both in the England World Cup squad named this morning, and Markram (I assume) in the SA squad, does that mean all three are unavailable to Hampshire for Saturday's final?

If so, blimey! Even as a Somerset loyalist, I'd say that would be tough on them and, frankly, a bit silly.

Following on 21 May, 2019 09:01
According to cricinfo - "both ineligible based on ICC regulations stating that once players have been selected for the World Cup they cannot play in other competitions".

AGod 21 May, 2019 09:16
Yes, Dawson won’t be allowed to play. It’s a big blow to them. However, I’d really rather beat their full-strength team, rather than a diminished one. I’d guess Dawson may have been second only to Cove in the comp MVP rankings?

AGod 21 May, 2019 09:18
SP - and they also can’t play Ajinyka Rahane, who has replaced Markram, per competition (not ICC in this case) rules.

Personally, I think it diminishes the spectacle.

mikeindex 21 May, 2019 10:03
Totally agree with the competition ruling against parachuting players in for a final who haven't played in the earlier stages - but depriving a team of three top players in a cup final because of an event that won't even have started by then is outrageous. If we win on Saturday against Hampshire's A team it will tarnish the triumph a bit (but definitely better than losing).

2019 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Following on 21 May, 2019 10:43
If we were in the same position clearly it would be infuriating, but if we can just get across the line and win something, then the dam may burst and we have a new glory years era on our hands!

Phantom 21 May, 2019 10:58
Feel sorry for the Hants supporters that won't see their first choice side playing

But if we are lifting that trophy Saturday afternoon I certainly won't give two hoots about who was playing or not

AGod 21 May, 2019 11:11
Yes, Mikeindex, to be clear, I think it perfectly fair that they can't "Do an Elliott," with Rahane.

But the ICC rule is clearly absurd. Probably CSA wouldn't release Markram, even if they had the option, but I think Vince and Dawson should be allowed to play by the ICC, and then given permission to by England.

hantssabre 21 May, 2019 11:13
What’s more, Dawson has been withdrawn from the County game on the IOW and replaced by Mason Crane

AGod 21 May, 2019 11:50
Well that is a further boost to Somerset, then.

Somerset LaLaLa 21 May, 2019 14:31
There is no logic being applied at all, Dawson batted for Hants and now Crane has had a bowl

Current Page: 5 of 13

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net