Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 8 of 13
Re: 2019 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
geordie moonraker 20 June, 2019 15:54
You are of course right AG but I must admit I was assuming that if Warwick managed to bat for 65 overs then they would reach the tsrget so I had ruled out the draw.

AGod 20 June, 2019 15:58
Indeed.

AGod 20 June, 2019 16:03
And with what seems a match-sealing knock from young Mr Sibley, surely now we can end the pretence that batting James Hildreth at number three for Somerset will somehow lead to an England top three batting slot.

It won't.

He must be a country mile behind Sibley for a top three place, now. And Ballance had been scoring for fun before this round, with both Burns and Jennings also making more runs than James.

James would be much better off reverting to four and hoping to make lots of runs and then, in the event of one or two England middle-order injuries, perhaps he might have an outside shot at getting a look in at four or five.

Management appear to have alighted, this year, on the idea that only the more experienced men should bat in the top three. This is despite the fact that both Byrom and Bartlett batted there last year. At the end of the day, when something isn't working you have to keep trying different things until something finally does work, rather than sticking with a particular idea or theory.

Shepton Paul 2 20 June, 2019 20:55
...and Denly has runs for Kent this week.

AGod 20 June, 2019 21:03
Yes, big runs.

cricketjerry-mouse 21 June, 2019 20:24
Yorkshire batsman Tom Kohler-Cadmore and Nottinghamshire`s Joe Clarke were today charged by the ECB with bringing the game into dispute.

This follows the Hereford Crown Court trial in April at which their former Worcestershire colleague Alex Hepburn was sent to prison for five years for rape. Among the evidence that emerged at the trial was the WhatsApp social medium platform to which all three belonged to record their sexual conquests.

They will appear before the Independent Cricket Discipline Commission.

Perhaps Yorkshire will think twice now about making Kohler-Cadmore captain of that proud county when Steven Patterson is unavailable - as they did for the this season`s Royal London One-day Cup match with Durham.

AGod 21 June, 2019 21:44
Clarke has barely made a run since the trial.

Mike TA1 27 June, 2019 21:56
Glamorgan Cricket Club to start repaying Cardiff Council loan. [www.bbc.co.uk]

Thanks to the ECB.

Roger ivanhoe 28 June, 2019 08:47
The council's Labour leaders also expect a new city-based cricket tournament to boost the club's coffers, according to the Local Democracy Reporting Service.

THEY DARE TO DREAM. (Sm128)

Mike TA1 28 June, 2019 08:57
Yep, that did put a smile on my face.

AGod 28 June, 2019 10:08
Fools. If they’re counting on that, then the Council will go bankrupt!

Bagpuss 28 June, 2019 21:25
Sussex have signed out-of-favour Essex batsman Varun Chopra.

Somerset LaLaLa 28 June, 2019 22:11
Glamorgan - Borrow more than you can ever pay back and get away with it

Rod1883 29 June, 2019 10:37
I guess with Cook now a fulltime Essex player Chopra has been pushed out. The move to Sussex is just a three match loan I understand.
Perhaps with our woes we could have looked at him, but Essex wouldn't loan him to us obviously.
Any other 'out of favour' openers that want to prove a point out there?

Grockle 29 June, 2019 10:51
Not completely certain they are 'woes'. We have the players it seems. We just can't seem to sort out which combination works!

Possibly the incentive of a now certain vacant opening spot for 2020 may clarify the mind?

(Sm72)

cricketharris 29 June, 2019 11:43
I think the post of a couple of days ago should more correctly read Glamorgan Cricket Club not to start repaying the Cardiff Council loan according to the bbc.co.uk attachment. And that is despite the ECB giving them more than enough money to do so.

Grockle 29 June, 2019 12:30
Odds on them being treated the same way as Durham were?

(Sm72)

Grizzers 30 June, 2019 03:47
Pick the bones out of this:

[www.espncricinfo.com]

I guess generally good news for the players.

As an aside, given the overall amount of money and support now available, I do wonder whether the concept of a player being awarded a 'benefit' season &/or 'testimonial' is now redundant ?

Grizzzly

hantssabre 30 June, 2019 06:31
No doubt with the rising of the salary cap means Surrey will be able to afford a few more players!

Grockle 30 June, 2019 06:51
Well it won't be affected much by the salaries being paid for the 100. Conservative to say the least. £1m per franchise for each and for everyone.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 05 July, 2019 07:37
Nottinghamshire's Joe Clarke and Yorkshire's Tom Kohler-Cadmore have both been fined £2,000 for bringing the game into disrepute.

Clarke, 23, and 24-year-old Kohler-Cadmore were named as members of a WhatsApp group which came to light during the trial of former team-mate Alex Hepburn.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

cricketjerry-mouse 05 July, 2019 08:22
The most depressing thing about all this is that Yorkshire, the county of captains of the ilk of Sellers, Illingworth, Close, Lord Hawke et al, made Tom Kohler-Cadmore one-day captain after the Hereford Crown Court trial when Steve Patterson was unavailable for the role.

And Nottinghamshire, who have always claimed to put their players` well-being at the front of their thinking, have continued to pick Joe Clarke time after time, despite coach Peter Moores admitting that he has been affected mentally by giving evidence at the Alex Hepburn rape trial.

I know `health and safety` comes in for a lot of derision, but surely it is an issue here.

Mike TA1 05 July, 2019 09:46
Division two looks like it is taking shape, it may be a matter of who will be the third team to get promotion. [www.bbc.co.uk]

Somerset LaLaLa 05 July, 2019 11:57
Did anyone tip Glamorgan, after their wooden spoon last year?

AGod 05 July, 2019 12:15
Gus Fraser on track for the wooden spoon!? Wonder who he he will try to pin the blame for that on? Pitches?

As for Glamorgan, Labuschagne, of whom I had never heard, has made an absolute mountain of runs for a Glamorgan team that, for several years, had been unable to buy a run. Both him and Cameron Bannedcroft, who has scored well for Durham might, possibly, be named in the Ashes party? Saying that, I assume that it hasn’t already been named.

cricketjerry-mouse 05 July, 2019 12:42
Marnus Labuschagne, one of the Ebbw Vale Labuschagnes I understand, looked totally at sea with the bat against Somerset in the RLC back in April, aGod. But he took the middle-order wickets of Hildreth, Abell and Gregory with his leg spin.

Since then, though, it is his batting (including a century in both innings recently) that has brought Glamorgan their unexpected table-topping position, helped along the way by former Nottinghamshire batsman Billy Root - how they must wish he was still at Trent Bridge - who already has a double hundred to his name.

Our old friend Matthew Maynard must be doing something right.

AGod 05 July, 2019 13:02
It didn’t work for Maynard last year (when he was batting coach). I believe he’s now in the DoC chair. I wonder whether, as at Somerset, he’s doing everything (including driving the bus) himself or whether some things have been delegated.

Mike TA1 05 July, 2019 13:12
They are at the top mainly due to the number of drawn matches, three wins, is that good enough for division one?

AGod 05 July, 2019 13:22
There have been some enormous scores in their matches. I imagine Maynard has ordered a change of pitch preparation to make life easier for their batsmen.

Bagpuss 05 July, 2019 22:09
Amazing how much better your results can be a year after £2.5million lands in your bank account, courtesy of C. Graves....allegedly...😉

Current Page: 8 of 13

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net