Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: 2019 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Mike TA1 06 July, 2019 11:22
No overseas T20 Blast signing for Leicestershire due to lack of finances. [www.thecricketer.com]

Not good for them.

Loyal of Lhasa 19 July, 2019 17:16
Sad to read of the death of Jack Bond at the age of 87. Though not the greatest of middle-
order batsmen he was an outstanding captain of Lancashire, particularly in one-day cricket and a highly respected man.

[www.theguardian.com]

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grizzers 19 July, 2019 18:26
Yes, memories of some classic one day games in the 1970’s when JB was skipper, including the one referred to in the newspaper article when he took an unbelievable catch.

Grizzzly

cricketjerry-mouse 19 July, 2019 21:05
Jack Bond was one of the smallest players playing county cricket and captained Lancashire just as the James Bond films were coming in to vogue.

He was known in dressing rooms throughout the circuit as 003½.

AGod 20 July, 2019 05:37
Really? Hhshahahahahaha

Grizzers 24 July, 2019 22:02
Darren Stevens, age 43, has announced he is leaving Kent at the emd of the season, but that it is not retirement & that he wants to carry on playing.

Grizzzly

AGod 25 July, 2019 06:00
My kent supporting friend increasingly despairs of Darren's batting, these days, but he seems to remain an effective bowler.

It would be a heck of an age to still be playing at - 44 - for a bowler.

It probably implies that he's one of those absolute "criket badgers," who can't get enough of the game.

Either that or he has a huge mortgage!!

Shepton Paul 2 26 July, 2019 11:14
Siddle in Aus Test squad - I think a blow to Essex in the CC.

Roger ivanhoe 26 July, 2019 11:23
And Surrey will be without David Warner for our T20 game on 2nd August.

hantssabre 26 July, 2019 12:24
Not sure Warner was lined up to play for Surrey? Presume Alex Carey will now play T20 for Sussex though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/07/2019 07:27 by hantssabre.

Somerset LaLaLa 26 July, 2019 13:43
Bancroft in the Ashes squad.

I must remember to get some more sandpaper for my diy, in case it gets in short supply

Grizzers 26 July, 2019 17:45
Jos B. has signed a contract extension with Lancs. until 2022.

So much for that theory then.

Grizzzly

Grockle 26 July, 2019 18:04
It's weird that Jos can be on both threads because he is 'other' and 'Somerset' at the same time.

(Sm72)

Wickham 27 July, 2019 18:51
Regarding Jack Bond, whose death is mentioned above, I was invited to a reception for Pakistan cricketers (at the High Commissioner’s house, since you ask) in the late 1990s. I met Asif Iqbal and recalled that he had - very sportingly - applauded Bond as he had walked off after the marvellous catch which effectively won the Gillette Cup final. Ah, it was a great catch, he responded.

I later met Mushtaq Ahmed, who told me that he was looking to return to county cricket. Perhaps if I had conveyed that news to Somerset, Mushtaq would have won the County Championship for us, rather than for Sussex.

Grockle 28 July, 2019 06:09
I'm not sure that our parting with Mushy at that part of his career would have garnered a welcome had he looked our way slightly later.

He might well have looked anyway and got a cool response. He 're-found' himself at Sussex shall we say.

(Sm72)

Grizzers 29 July, 2019 20:20
Interesting article from the other AG here:

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Wonder iif it received editorial approval from Messrs Graves & Harrison ?

Grizzzly

AGod 29 July, 2019 22:10
David Warner, Roger? Surely Surrey weren’t expecting Warner to not be involved in the Ashes?

Tractor 30 July, 2019 13:56
Thanks for that article, Grizz. Absolutely stunned that there is yet another competition from next year if I have read it correctly …
"...there will be no County Championship cricket played in the white-ball window built for The Hundred and 50-over cricket from 2020..."
Obviously can't be a one-day comp, tricky to complete it in two, so probably a 3-day?

Grockle 31 July, 2019 08:48
I suppose the prep theu are talking about for the white ball was the almost non existent promotion if the domestic 50 over and T20 except for the games being shown behind the paywall? All the promotion I saw was Somerset based as far as I am aware.

At least the article didn't talk about concentrating resources and did mention the county game.

(Sm72)

Loyal of Lhasa 03 August, 2019 10:19
Sad to read of the death of Malcolm Nash and that he will be remembered less for being an excellent one-county pro and more for six balls he bowled on one Swansea afternoon.

And of course we shall remember here that he was educated in Somerset.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bagpuss 08 August, 2019 15:25
Hashim Amla announces his retirement from international cricket.

Related news - Surrey announce new Kolpak player in 3....2....1....

AGod 08 August, 2019 15:58
I think we should possibly consider looking at Scott Borthwick as a top three batting option. Unlikely to win a Hundred contract. No point him staying at Surrey because I’m sure you’re right, and Amla will be swiftly inked.

Grockle 08 August, 2019 19:12
No idea why he should be someone for us except he may be available.

I suppose if you expect Banton and possibly Byrom to move on and Abell, Hildreth and possibly Babar not to be about plus Lammonby not to make it as a 4 day player with Green while Smeed might still be too young though Davies possibly may be still here. Starting to wonder where you'd use him if they all are about next year.

But more the merrier I suppose.

(Sm72)

AGod 08 August, 2019 19:55
Why would Babar be here? If Pak have international cricket, he won't be.

Eddie is out of contract. We have no idea if he will be staying.

Trescothick is retiring.

Borthwick is usually a number three bat., for red ball cricket. He has a decent record in the role.

Banton is not being used, by Somerset, as a top three red ball batsman at the moment.

Besides, Byrom and Green have both been studiously ignored by management, all season, when it comes to the red ball side.

Hildreth, at three, has not worked.

There is no reason to imagine that Steve Davies, even if he stays, will suddenly be a top three batsman in red ball cricket.

In short, we need re-inforcements in the top three, and it would be astonishing if managment were not looking for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 19:56 by AGod.

Grockle 08 August, 2019 21:24
Funny that. I think the word 'possibly' identified that.... well possibility

Marcus is no longer a factor and hasn't been for more than 2019 if we are honest

Just because people have not been considered does not mean that in a new lineup it would be the same - you must try and not assume things that have happened are set in concrete for all time and will never change. Lammonby and Banton were top 5 (and maybe top 3) internationals for U19 England - don't quote me on that

Lots of people are out of contract - again it doesn't mean they will not be resigned. Though you seem to think Byrom will not be - I'd suggest that the last couple of weeks mean you ought to reassess that position.

There are lots of red ball 'number 3's' not many of them seem very good and records elsewhere mean very little as we have seen in the past.

We have our own to find places for - they are here for a reason. Maybe Borthwick is the answer to our prayers - you seem convinced. I think we have as good if not better but neither of us will be making that decision will we?

Always the opportunity to say 'I told you so again old boy' BUT not until it has happened of course

missed a 'not' out whoops AND U19 which I'm sure AG has corrected by now (haven't read below yet)

(Sm72)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 06:10 by Grockle.

AGod 08 August, 2019 22:02
I said nothing about ‘being convinced,’ hence why I said that we should possibly look at him. What I am convinced about is that management will be looking to strengthen from without in our top three.

I don’t need to reconsider anything about my position, re: Eddie. I’m a fan and had been calling for his red ball inclusion for a while. Instead he’s been put in for white ball, and come off, big-time 2/3 so far.

Regardless, we’ve got to this point in the season, without him having signed a new deal - unless the club are keeping it secret. So there must be doubt as to whether he’ll resign, until proven otherwise. And, ditto, Steve Davies.

cricketjerry-mouse 08 August, 2019 23:27
Hashim Amla`s retirement from international cricket jogs the memory of the seven-wicket win over Surrey at Taunton in 2013, sending the Brown Caps down to the Second Division and saving Somerset`s bacon.

Amla was Surrey`s overseas player that season, averaging 54-plus, but requested permission to return home just before the Taunton match to receive a series of awards for his winter exploits with South Africa.

That`s OK, said Surrey, but we`ll hire a private jet (believed to have cost comfortably over six figures) to fly you back to Heathrow on the morning of the match for an M4 dash to Taunton. Surrey duly batted but Craig Meschede had reduced them at 31-1 when Amla walked out - only to be strangled down the legside for a second ball duck.

Their second innings start was equally challenging, with Alma lasting just three balls this time before edging Lewis Gregory to Craig Kieswetter for only the second pair of his career. An expensive flight for just five balls and no runs.

Bagpuss 09 August, 2019 12:26
If the Hash's memory is as good as yours, c-jm, then I doubt it's worth the Somerset DoC getting his number and trying to sell him the joys of batting at Taunton 😁

Grizzers 09 August, 2019 15:36
Some interesting stuff re the 2020 season in this piece from GD.

One overseas player now allowed to play in 50 Over games.

More relaxed registration rules for overseas players.

Season structure may not be quite as bad as previously expected ?

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Maybe the ECB have decided they have to respond to all the cr*p they've been getting from the Counties & fans ?

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Grizzzly

Des Platt 09 August, 2019 17:08
Quote:
Loyal of Lhasa
Sad to read of the death of Malcolm Nash and that he will be remembered less for being an excellent one-county pro and more for six balls he bowled on one Swansea afternoon.
And of course we shall remember here that he was educated in Somerset.

Agreed LOl ; close to 1000 wickets. Was also hit for 5 6s and a 4 in an over by Frank Hayes but was a damned good cricketer. Suspect he may have been the leading wicket taker in their championship year of 69

Current Page: 9 of 13

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net