Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Somerset Rush Their Fences
Discussion started by Grockles.com , 07 April, 2019 09:52
Somerset Rush Their Fences
Grockles.com 07 April, 2019 09:52
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2019 07:50 by Grockle.

Somerset vs Kent - CC round one, Fri 05 Apr
AGod 03 April, 2019 10:07
There would appear to be rather more competition for bowling places than batting ones?

Craig Overton seems to have not completed overs in a match the other day - do we know if he's fit?

I understand that Jamie is, once again, sadly hors de combat, but will, apparently, start bowling again next week.

To be honest, I'm inclined to think that, in early season conditions, the extra height/pace of Overtons is less of a must-have anyway. Unless we contrive to produce an absolute pudding of a pitch in early April (which has happened before, see Warks game several years ago where Hildreth scored about 4,000), then a very "traditional," English seam attack with the likes of LG, Jack Brooks and the (admittedly non English), Josh Davey and Tim Gronewald, would seem to be the way to go anyway?

I'd imagine the batting is liable to more or less pick itself, though I should prefer to see Eddie Byrom in the top three but, to judge from Mr Hurry's comments at the press conference (which I've just watched), it sound like we may instead be getting Hildreth there "because James wants to play for England, and England have vacancies up there."
Whilst AH did add "obviously it must be right for the club too," I was left with the distinct impression that Hildreth at three is what will happen.

If it's a juicy, early season type track, then I'm far from convinced that Trescothick (of little foot movement), Azhar (with very few, I would imagine, games under his belt this early in an English season) and James (with an aggressive mind-set and a better attacking game than defensive one) represent the ideal triumvirate. I'd rather have rather more of a blocker ( I know Eddie can do more than simply block, but I'm talking about temperament rather than technique) in there.

I assume we're going to be ultra-conservative in terms of trying to keep the pitch dry, so could even be a no-spinner selection, possibly?

Thoughts on any of the above? Thoughts on likely team selection?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 10:53 by Grockle.

Re: Somerset vs Kent - CC round one, Fri 05 Apr
Loyal of Lhasa 03 April, 2019 10:38
That must be one of your longest periods of hibernation, AGod, and it's good to have you back, dispensing some sensible opinions, with most of which I agree. I am very optimistic about Bartlett's career and the "new" Byrom is a revelation. Picking the top six could become quite interesting were a miracle to occur and Hildreth to take his rightful place in the Test side. Even more interesting if Trescothick is struggling.

This is always such an exciting time of the year and, given that I have no intention of dying before Somerset wins the CC, you will have me around at least until September.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grockle 03 April, 2019 10:53
Missed the intensity AG. Welcome back. At least the top eleven CC1 side does not pick itself for everyone. Even without everyone being fit. It's suggested that Cove will be OK but Jove won't start the first game.

(Sm72)

AGod 03 April, 2019 11:32
Thanks, both.

I trust "strong and stable," winters were had by all..

Loyal of Lhasa 03 April, 2019 11:50
Much reassured that "The Hundred means The Hundred".

LoL

AGod 03 April, 2019 13:27
Yes, that is indeed a collective weight off many minds, I'd imagine.

However, one might have cause for at least a smidgen of concern that the details about the future plan seem so sketchy. I understand that, as yet, there are no players, sponsors, or mechanism for selecting players in place. Nor are there any ferries.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 18:52 by AGod.

Loyal of Lhasa 03 April, 2019 14:22
But it will definitely start on 29th March, sorry, 12th April...

LoL

Somerset LaLaLa 03 April, 2019 14:24
Happy New Season AG, Somerset to bat first...

Railboy 03 April, 2019 16:08
Much talk about which of our young guns will fill what spots in the batting order. I’m always surprised that the one who already has a first class ton and a test match fifty seldom seems to come in to the reckoning.

nelliec 03 April, 2019 18:02
I think that they have already made a decision to start with Trescothick, although I would have started with Green or Banton at the top of the order.
I think it will be a top heavy batting line-up.
Ali
Trescothick
Hildreth
Bartlett
Abell
Byrom
Davies
Gregory
Davey
Brooks
Groendswald/or Craig if fit.

Five seamers including Abell

AGod 03 April, 2019 19:21
I think that that will prove about right, Nellie.

Grockle 03 April, 2019 19:37
I do think there is a heavy conversation to be had however if Marcus goes early in Somerset's 1st innings.

(Sm72)

Farmer White 03 April, 2019 20:44
In 2018, by my reckoning, Trescothick made a score of 50 or more every 3.6 times he went to the wicket. Only Renshaw, every 2.8 times, and Hildreth, every 2.9 times, scored 50 plus more frequently. The next best were Azhar and Abell, each scoring 50 plus every 4.3 visits. The best of the youngsters was Byrom with two scores of over 50 in 15 starts.

I don't have stats for the frequency of scores under say, 10 or 20, which is of course the other side of that equation.

Farmer

Scrumper 03 April, 2019 23:55
Quote:
nelliec
I think that they have already made a decision to start with Trescothick, although I would have started with Green or Banton at the top of the order.
I think it will be a top heavy batting line-up.
Ali
Trescothick
Hildreth
Bartlett
Abell
Byrom
Davies
Gregory
Davey
Brooks
Groendswald/or Craig if fit.

Five seamers including Abell

Can't see Jack being left out. Brooks has confused things, he'll be useful mind, but no Morkel.

Grockle 04 April, 2019 10:38
But how many of the big scores were in the second innings batting Farmer?

My concern is losing an early wicket in the first innings of a game - where the batting points exist and where the game starts for the batting unit.

I may be mis-remembering but my impression was that Marcus went early more times, especially at the start of the season/when we batted first.

I may be out and I still see the man as a batting asset but as he insists on opening he has to open and that means being there to form a base for the innings, especially first up.

If that isn't happening then his place has to be discussed and options considered early given the form of the competition and the importance of getting off to a good start in April.

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe 04 April, 2019 13:45
Somerset Head Coach, Jason Kerr has named the following 13-man squad: Tom Abell (c), Azhar Ali, Jack Brooks, Eddie Byrom, Josh Davey, Steve Davies, Lewis Gregory, Tim Groenewald, James Hildreth, Jack Leach, Craig Overton, Marcus Trescothick and Paul van Meekeren.

Kent have named the following squad: Heino Kuhn (c), Daniel Bell-Drummond, Alex Blake, Mitchell Claydon, Zak Crawley, Sean Dickson, Fred Klaassen, Matt Milnes, Harry Podmore, Matt Renshaw, Adam Riley, Ollie Robinson and Darren Stevens.

Somerset LaLaLa 04 April, 2019 13:51
13 squad announced, as predicted above except Leach for Bartlett, and Van Meekeren included. So will Leach be left out? Weather expected to improve over the weekend

cricketjerry-mouse 04 April, 2019 13:56
Kent opening batsman Sean Dickson, who was injured in their opening match against Loughborough, has passed a fitness test and will bolster a batting line-up minus captain Sam Billings and vice-captain Joe Denley, both away (although not playing) at the IPL.

Farmer White 04 April, 2019 15:12
Trescothick scores of 50 or over in 2018:

100 1st inns v Lancashire at Old Trafford
71 2nd inns v Worcestershire at Worcestershire
95 1st inns v Essex at Taunton
50 2nd inns v Hampshire at Southampton
71 1st inns v Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge

5 in 18 inns. Compared with Hildreth 9 in 26 inns (24 complete).

Perhaps he should just play away matches ... (tic)

Farmer

Grockle 04 April, 2019 15:32
You may very well be right Farmer - when he stays in he stays in. Hope he does that a lot. I wish he'd move down the order as I've said many times before but that is not going to happen so he has to stand and score.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 15:34 by Grockle.

Roger ivanhoe 04 April, 2019 16:35
Not sure they will risk Cove.

Grockle 04 April, 2019 19:51
Well it was the more definite Overton pick but we'll see in the morning.

Looking forward to seeing some people there tomorrow. Here's to a winning start.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 04 April, 2019 20:38
I am only there until 12.30, I am taking my car in for a service, unfortunately the agent is in Bridgwater.

cricketharris 04 April, 2019 20:53
The Ondajee stands will be closed again, a shame as the wicket is closer to that side. And a shame because they have all winter to fix the problem.

Scrumper 04 April, 2019 21:32
What problem?

Railboy 04 April, 2019 21:38
Would rate the chances of play tomorrow as virtually nil. Heavy rain most of the evening and a rubbish forecast for the whole day.

Somerset LaLaLa 05 April, 2019 06:59
Starting the season with a jinx? Ok, my prediction - it will be a dustbowl (tic)

Roger ivanhoe 05 April, 2019 09:14
inspection at 11.30. Looking brighter in area.

hantssabre 05 April, 2019 09:44
No doubt it will be an uncontested toss so Somerset will bat first

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net