Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

'Farmer White' book - advance information
Discussion started by Farmer White , 16 April, 2019 10:17
'Farmer White' book - advance information
Farmer White 16 April, 2019 10:17
I have (finally) incorporated my 2018 Championship match reports and some of Mike's photos (in matt black and white) into a self-published book. As soon as I am organised to properly sell the book I will let you know.

The reason for this premature information is I have the OK to try to sell one or two copies at a Cricket Society Meeting in Bath today and it is not beyond the bounds of possibilty that someone who posts on here may be there and I wanted the information to readers of grockles to come from me in the first instance.

As soon as I get myself properly organised I will post again.

Farmer

Re: 'Farmer White' book - advance information
Grockle 16 April, 2019 14:49
Having seen a draft copy I must recommend this to those who find electronic reading tedious.

(Sm72)

geordie moonraker 16 April, 2019 16:41
That is splendid news... I can hardly wait.

Mike TA1 16 April, 2019 17:23
FW (Paul) why don't you post a photo of the front of the book.

If You can't, send It to me and I will do it for you.

Re: 'Farmer White' book - now available
Farmer White 18 April, 2019 00:59
My book (self-published in every regard except the actual printing and binding) of match reports for Somerset’s 2018 County Championship season is now available if you can get to Taunton. I will be looking at options for online sales for anyone further afield who might want a copy.

In Taunton both Brendon Books on Bath Place and Somerset County Sports at the CACG have agreed to carry the book and have copies available.

Title: “I hope I don’t miss a hat-trick …” Somerset CCC. The County Championship 2018

The book contains:

Match reports on every day of CC cricket in 2018.

Matt black and white version action photographs by one Mike TA1, and some photographs of some away grounds (not action photos - my 'pocket brownie' wouldn't cope) by one ‘Farmer White’ plus a few (slightly quirky) outline stats on Somerset in the first division 2008-18.

It is in glossy softcover, 9ins x 6 ins, 323 pages and will retail at £12.99.

It will not be on general distribution so please don't enquire at bookshops, other than Brendon Books and Somerset County Sports both of which have copies, or try to find it on internet sites.

I will send a photo of front and rear covers to Mike as he has offered to post it on here. My attempt failed at the first attempt and every attempt after that! If you can read the ISBN on the back cover in the photo please do not try to use it because it is not activated.

And finally, thank you to Mike for the use of his photos in the book, to Julia W for her help in setting up my website which was a key phase in getting the reports fit for purpose for a book, to Mike Index for proof reading the entire manuscript and then doing it again for the proof copy of the book, to Grockle for his support throughout and to each and every one of you on here for your support and encouragement over the last two and a half years. It has enabled me to live my dream to write about cricket. Let us hope Somerset enable all of us to live our dream of a lifetime this year.

Thank you one. Thank you all.

Farmer

Grockle 18 April, 2019 01:05
Congratulations Farmer. I know how much work goes into something like this and it is great that you've got to this point.

I am sure people will enjoy it.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 18 April, 2019 08:18
https://oi1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Not%20Cricket%20Match%20Photos/Pauls%20book%20cover.jpg

This is the front and back covers of FW (Paul's) brilliant book.

A lot of hours and sleepless nights went into writing this book, the end result was well worth it.

geordie moonraker 18 April, 2019 15:04
This is a must for me. As I shan't be in Taunton I must find a way of buying it.

Wickham 18 April, 2019 16:16
Congratulations, FW, on the publication of your book. You - and Mike x 2 and Julia - should feel very proud. I look forward to owning a copy.

mikeindex 18 April, 2019 16:54
I do indeed feel very proud to be associated with this project.

I wish a) all books I help on their way to publication were as readable, and b) all authors were as courteous, appreciative and generous in their provision of beer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2019 17:39 by mikeindex.

Clarence Parker 18 April, 2019 17:07
Geordie,

I went into Brendon Books last year when I was in Taunton for the cricket. At least I think it was called Brendon Books; it was down an alleyway off the High Street, and the staff there were most helpful.

So, if you can't source it otherwise, It might be worthwhile to give them a ring and ask them to post one to you, with the cost of postage added on, in view of its limited availability.

Worth a try I would respectfully suggest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2019 17:10 by Clarence Parker.

mikeindex 18 April, 2019 17:44
Clarence, you have the name of the shop dead right.
The proprietor, Lionel Ward, is a most obliging gentleman and a great supporter of all areas of local culture (his son, incidentally, is a very useful young actor, but that's not to the point), so I'm sure it would be worth Geordie's while to contact him as you suggest.

geordie moonraker 18 April, 2019 23:01
Thank you Clarence and Mike. That is most helpful.

Rod1883 19 April, 2019 13:05
That looks excellent, well done.
I must see if I can find a way of getting a copy here in Sussex.
Rod

Nailsea_Fizz 19 April, 2019 18:50
Copy secured, looking forward to the read

Kilmainham 20 April, 2019 11:35
Yesterday was Bad Friday thanks to the chaos on the motorway networks.
Yesterday was Bad Friday because as a result of the above I was 3 hours late arriving at the ground.
Yesterday was Bad Friday because I missed all of Tom Banton's innings.

Yesterday was Good Friday when I finally arrived and I discovered Tom Banton had made a century.
Yesterday was Good Friday when I watched Craig's excellent all round performance.
And yesterday was Good Friday because I managed to buy a copy of Farmer's book!

I am really pleased for you Farmer. Congratulations, you should be rightly proud of your work and I hope it is a success.

Hopefully the sequel will include the ending we all want!

Shepton Paul 2 20 April, 2019 22:16
Love this 😊

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net