Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Championship v Surrey
AGod 14 May, 2019 09:51
In the case of Hildreth, one wonders how long he, himself, will want to persist at three if he doesn't come off there?

One can see the logic of "England have top three vacancies, bat in the top three," but there must still be a remote chance that England might pick somebody scoring lots of runs at four in CC1, to bat at three for them. There's (presumably) very little chance of them picking somebody not scoring runs at 3 in CC1 to bat there for them, the fact that they're not spoiled for choice, notwithstanding.

One thing worth mentioning... in CC1 they've gone to the ball with the less prominent seam.. and this is likely to mean that top three batsmen make more runs in CC1 than they did last year... BUT the Ashes is going to be played with the old ball.....so any new batsmen making the step up from CC1 to Tests, will have to deal both with an increase in standard and with a ball more tricky than they one they've been batting against all season..

Scrumper 14 May, 2019 10:48
Surrey win toss and bat, Josh and Tom B miss out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 10:55 by Scrumper.

AGod 14 May, 2019 11:05
Brooks onto bowl.. he needs to be far, far tighter, than he has been across the first two games, especially on such a good batting day.

Somerset LaLaLa 14 May, 2019 11:24
A welcome return to red ball cricket. And lots of counties wanting to bat first.

I can see the selection debate continuing for some time, given that the cup and championship sides have been set so differently. Good to see Tim back and George there after his immense contributions previously.

Jamie and Dom playing, are we going to comment on their progress in this thread?

Grockle 14 May, 2019 11:39
Don't see why not. Seems dFt to start another thread for these 4 days.

(Sm72)

AGod 14 May, 2019 11:39
Sounds a pretty flat track, which is scarcely a surprise. (we were never going to deliberately prepare anything lively for Morkel - so the only way the pitch was going to be lively would be by accident).

And I think the commentator quite right to suggest that the pitch is most unlikely to deteriorate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 12:20 by AGod.

Grizzzly 14 May, 2019 12:05
Yes. It’s looking rather cosy for Surrey right now.

I hope we have our selection right. Just wonder about the choice of TG ahead of JD and also whether Jove’s pace would have been an asset.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we see Jack Leach on before lunch. Not expecting much spin, but hopefully he can make things happen.

Grizzzly

btry1 14 May, 2019 12:07
i think jamie o is needed right now for somerset

AGod 14 May, 2019 12:22
In theory, it’s true that we could use pace and bounce - a battery of medium-fast bowlers are never likely to prove hugely effective on a flat track, and under sunny skies. And the more so with the reduced seam ball.

Unless Leachy can work wonders then one already suspects that a draw might be the best result that we can get from this game. Not that same is guaranteed.

Scrumper 14 May, 2019 12:32
A very good toss to win, track looks flat. 2 warm sunny days, then Thursday and Friday becoming increasing cloudier and cooler. Would certainly settle for a draw at this moment.

Wickham 14 May, 2019 12:35
Like others, I wish we could call on Jove to bowl. Four fast-medium bowlers (with Abell in reserve) seems one too many.

Grockle 14 May, 2019 13:03
Don't they see Jack B as 'faster'?

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 14 May, 2019 13:13
Tim Groenewald bowled Burns last time when they batted and batted, Jove took Stoneman & Roy and Abell got Elgar. We were saved by the covers (or lack of them covering in a storm). Not quite how Farmer would have described it, but I'm suggesting Abell and Leach will be in the wickets later. Maybe the case for Jove in this match will be more apparent by his absence and he should come back next week if the pitch is the same?

AGod 14 May, 2019 13:24
I believe there is a recall clause in the case of injury only for Jove (other than to play at Lord’s). Anyway, we must hope for less flat surfaces in future matches, whilst remembering that Morkel might make this look less flat...

Should Morkel take lots of wkts, we should refrain from suggesting that Jove would have done likewise, given that the former is vastly more experienced and proven.

AGod 14 May, 2019 13:26
Bess, apparently, no chance for Yorks (with ball) as Kent all over them.

AGod 14 May, 2019 13:48
Well done, LG and JB (and Cove with the catch).

I'd give a lot to rid ourselves of Elgar ASAP

Phrench Phil 14 May, 2019 13:59
Quote:
AGod
Bess, apparently, no chance for Yorks (with ball) as Kent all over them.
Maybe, but he has certainly started off quite confidently with the bat.

btry1 14 May, 2019 14:02
bess is racing

Somerset LaLaLa 14 May, 2019 14:05
How much would you give AG?

Somerset LaLaLa 14 May, 2019 14:06
Quote:
btry1
bess is racing

Jinxed - b Milnes 25

Phrench Phil 14 May, 2019 14:07
Ah.
Mr Bess is now back in the pavilion after a run-a-ball 25.

AGod 14 May, 2019 14:09
Davies, whose place must surely be under threat from Tom Banton may have just moved a step closer to being axed from the red ball, as well as the white ball, with that reported drop off LG.

btry1 14 May, 2019 14:09
Quote:
Phrench Phil
Ah.
Mr Bess is now back in the pavilion after a run-a-ball 25.
sorry about the jinx
good little knock while it lasted

AGod 14 May, 2019 14:23
Grockle - I think the answer to your Q re:Brooks is that, of those playing today, Cove is the quickest bowler - at an average of about 82/83, Brooks and LG about 79/80 and TG about 76/77. I think Josh is a similar speed to TG, Meerkat similar to Brooks/LG and Jamie averages about 85/86/87 (when I’ve seen a speed gun on him)

Somerset LaLaLa 14 May, 2019 14:28
Haha I'm no stranger to jinxes, but don't think Yorkshire will win the championship

AGod 14 May, 2019 14:31
Jamie will be batting soon, too..

AGod 14 May, 2019 15:38
Awful from Azhar, by the sounds.

Not a good day, so far.

Somerset LaLaLa 14 May, 2019 16:06
They made 485 last year, but we'll have to wait and see what Somerset make from this pitch. Giving Burns a chance will increase that wait.

Jamie Overton at the crease

AGod 14 May, 2019 16:07
I fear that they make more this year, as both Burns and Elgar tend to go big.

Phrench Phil 14 May, 2019 16:17
Jamie Overton at the crease.

At the tea table, but I understand your post.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net