Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: Warks CC1 Taunton
Mike TA1 19 May, 2019 14:09
13-man squad: Tom Abell (c), Azhar Ali, Tom Banton, George Bartlett, Josh Davey, Steve Davies, Lewis Gregory, Tim Groenewald, James Hildreth, Jack Leach, Craig Overton and Marcus Trescothick.

Can we read anything into that selection?

Clarence Parker 19 May, 2019 14:12
Who is No. 13?

mikeindex 19 May, 2019 14:12
I make that 12?

Mike TA1 19 May, 2019 14:19
A mystery guest/guess.

mikeindex 19 May, 2019 14:21
The SCCC website shows the same 12, referred to as 13 - so small blame to Mike TA1.
Pretty obvious what the options are; I'm aghast to hear myself say that I really think the time has come for Marcus to be stood down. Not necessarily permanently.

wsm fan 19 May, 2019 14:26
Marcus has had 4 innings.
3 of which were by Apr13 in rubbish batting conditions.
He brings so much more to our side than just his runs.

Grockle 19 May, 2019 14:35
His primary job is to bring runs WSM and as others have objectively posted in the recent past the drought of runs is not just this season.

We need base and presently Marcus isn't bringing it and he should be up for deselection like everyone else.

It seems to be a Taunton thing for example, he is far more solid away.

Saying he brings 'other things' is the 'Luke Wright for England' defence. Some of the other things he brings are necessary because he isn't bringing a solid base to the first innings.

(Sm72)

Grizzzly 19 May, 2019 14:41
TG must have strong limbs after getting hit painfully a couple of times on Thursday.

Grizzzly

Grockle 19 May, 2019 14:49
Hard men these bowlers. I wonder if any seamers play without some pain into their 30's?

(Sm72)

Cleavo 19 May, 2019 14:54
Sorry WSM fan, but as Grockle said Trescothick’s main job is to score runs and give a base for the middle order to build on.

We effectively find ourselves 1 down more often than not inside the first 5-10 overs.

The recent poor run of form goes back to last season too. Big scores are becoming less frequent and the stats don’t lie.

Nobody has a divine right to be selected based on his status as a player. Yes, the man is a legend and Somerset icon, but no score this week and the management will have a decision to make ahead of Guildford I’m afraid. Anyway, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he silenced his critics with a big score this week and I shall be delighted if he does.

Mike TA1 19 May, 2019 15:32
https://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2019%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202019/Somerset%20v%20Warwickshire%20starting%2020th%20May%202019/The%20pitch%20position.jpg

The pitch is a lot further over than I first thought.

Grizzzly 19 May, 2019 16:36
The official SCCC abacus has now been located and the squad of 13 is now corrected to 12 on the club site !

Grizzzly

AGod 19 May, 2019 17:54
Agree completely with all of Grockle’s comments on this thread.

Also share Roger’s concern viz Kerr/Trescothick.

Also agree, though, with Mikeindex and think that Kerr needs to be thinking this way too - namely that Marcus being dropped doesn’t necessarily have to mean curtains forever. He should return to the twos and, if he makes lots of runs, be considered for a return if there’s a vacancy.

As to what we can read into the squad, Mike TA1:

A) Jamie Overton will play for Northants.

cool smiley Josh Davey will replace Jack Brooks

C) If, as reported, Tom Banton has already said that he’s going to be playing for the twos then our side will be otherwise unchanged... ergo neither Lewis nor Craig will be resting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2019 17:56 by AGod.

AGod 19 May, 2019 17:58
It is to be hoped that, by the time of the Guildford match, Jamie will have found form (and thus been recalled) and that Paul Van Meekeren will be fit enough to at least be a possibility should any other injuries arise.

Anybody heard how long Brooks may be out for?

cricketjerry-mouse 19 May, 2019 18:03
Top order batsman Sam Hain, who injured a knee during the Royal London Cup group stage, returns to the Warwickshire line-up at Taunton tomorrow.
i
Former Glo`shire seamer Liam Norwell, kept out all season so far with a pec injury, may make his Warwick debut, teaming up with former county colleague and fellow quickie Craig Miles. Opening batter Dom Sibley will be seeking his sixth century in successive matches.

Squad; Patel (c), Ambrose, Banks, Brookes, Hain, Hannon-Dalby, Hose, Miles, Norwell, Rhodes, Sibley, Thomson, Yates.

wsm fan 19 May, 2019 18:10
Sibley already has 6, he will be going for 7.....

AGod 19 May, 2019 18:14
And he is somebody who should, presumably, be under consideration for an attempted signing by Somerset in the winter. If Sibley doesn’t get picked for the Ashes this year, in CC1, then he may find it tough to get noticed in CC2 next year, in which case he might be interested in a move to CC1?

Loyal of Lhasa 19 May, 2019 19:33
More likely he will return to Surrey, who should never have let him go.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Cleavo 19 May, 2019 19:54
We should have looked at Sibley a couple of years ago when he became available and firstly joined Warwickshire on loan, but Rikki Clarke was part of the deal and went the other way.

AGod 19 May, 2019 21:21
Yes, LoL, that had occurred to me. If that happens then, perhaps, we should instead consider one of Surrey’s two former Durham men, Stoneman or Borthwick, one of whom may be surplus to requirements ... although it depends on how Rory Burns goes in the Ashes (if does well may get Central contract).

Regardless, SCCC figure to have needs in our top three. If Hildreth doesn’t get into the England side with his top three ploy, then I assume he will revert to four. Tom A doesn’t seem to want to bat up in the top 3 anymore. Marcus is no long-term solution and Azhar is on a one-year deal. That leaves Byrom, possibly Green, possibly Banton - if seen as an opener at first-team red ball level and the up-and-coming Lammonby. In other words, there may be a vacancy for a more experienced figure in the top three.

Grizzzly 19 May, 2019 21:33
Looks like TB had an active weekend:

[www.thecricketer.com]

Grizzzly

AGod 19 May, 2019 22:54
[www.thecricketer.com]

Following the latest round of fixtures, Lewis Gregory is now averaging 63 with the bat, and 14 with the ball for the CC season.

He's the leading wicket-taker. Not sure how many are ahead of him in the bowling averages but not many - possibly Leachy. And I'm sure 63 books a healthy position in the batting averages, too.

AGod 19 May, 2019 22:56
Lewis is tenth in the CC1 batting averages and, effectively, first in the bowling averages (forget Leaning as he isn't a serious bowler and, as such, hasn't met any kind of minimum qualifying requirement for either overs bowled or wickets taken).

Leachy is second to Lewis in the CC1 bowling averages.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

AGod 19 May, 2019 23:04
Equally, if we throw out Jack Brooks' average of 41 (based on scoring 41 runs for once out), then only two guys - George and Tom, are backing Lewis with an average the right side of 40 (with nobody else even over 35).

So we've made a really strong start to the season but there could/should be more to come from quite a few of our personnel, which is actually encouraging in a sense.

AGod 19 May, 2019 23:05
One note of caution: Almost all of our penetration has stemmed from just those two sources - LG and Leachy.

LG has a strike-rate of 31 this season and Leachy has a strike rate of 37. Both figures are exceptional.

But the next best is Cove with a less than scintillating 62 and Josh and Tim have a strike-rate of 70 on the season so far.

In the CC, a strike-rate in the low 50s is usually considered very good.

AGod 19 May, 2019 23:06
Sorry, posted those two in the wrong order ... the strike-rate post was supposed to be first.

wsm fan 19 May, 2019 23:10
Josh & Tim on a small sample granted, have had their most favourable conditions in April&May.
As the sun comes out & pitches do less both will become less effective.
You can take a guess what i suggest would be a better option.
20-6-55-0 in a days play is not winning us division 1 title.

AGod 20 May, 2019 08:03
The other factor is the reduced seam on the ball. When conditions don't favour swing, then that will make life harder still for Tim and Josh - harder than in equivalent periods in other summers. I read somewhere that this is the smallest seam since the summers of 1990 and 1991, when batsmen ran riot.*

Of course, I know what your suggestion is.

I also think that Dom Bess should still have a role to play - with the same proviso, of course, as with Jamie - could do with demonstrating some form on his loan stint, first.

Not sure where Leachy is with England right now, but must have a decent shout of playing an Ashes Test or two (suspect they might also "take another look at him," against Ireland before then).

*Incidentally, should batsmen run riot later in the season, such that there are many, many drawn games, then points in the bag, already won, in more bowler friendly conditions may be even more valuable than usual.

Tumbles 20 May, 2019 11:09
Terrible shot. How many more chances..

Rod1883 20 May, 2019 11:16
Sad to say it, but I think it is time to give Tres a rest from 1st team games. If he can get his form back in the seconds, then another opportunity will be there later in the season I'm sure, but he's just not doing it at the moment and it's putting pressure on the next batsmen too early in the innings.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net