Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: Warks CC1 Taunton
Rod1883 20 May, 2019 10:32
Going to struggle for batting bonus points today it seems.....

AGod 20 May, 2019 10:39
And Tresco's average at Taunton over the past two years now slips even further into the abyss.

He can, surely, have very little confidence, these days, when batting at home, such has been the catalogue of failures?

Tumbles 20 May, 2019 10:57
May regret not contesting the toss at this rate!

Rod1883 20 May, 2019 11:02
Not our choice is it Tumbles.
The visiting captain can choose to bowl first, and if not then a coin toss is made. Them's the rules aren't they?

Edit - bad to worse, Azhar gone now too, 61-4!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/05/2019 11:03 by Rod1883.

Tumbles 20 May, 2019 11:05
Quote:
Rod1883
Not our choice is it Tumbles.
The visiting captain can choose to bowl first, and if not then a coin toss is made. Them's the rules aren't they?

Edit - bad to worse, Azhar gone now too, 61-4!

Ok maybe I've misunderstood when they said the toss was uncontested.

AGod 20 May, 2019 11:07
It was rather predictable that we'd gamble on a seaming track, but I think we'd have hoped to not prove quite so inept on it, thus far.

If the track flattens out quickly, then better we get bowled out for a lower total and start bowling immediately, than have a prolonged struggle to 200 on a pitch that, by then, has flattened out.

Hopefully, though, the track will stay lively for at least the first couple of days.

Rod1883 20 May, 2019 11:11
It just seems (no pun intended) a shame that we have essentially thrown away 3 or 4 batting points by the approach taken. I guess if it works out in the end and we get a win it will have been worth it, but if indeed the track does flatten out then after this start we'll be struggling to avoid a very low points scoring defeat.

Mike K 20 May, 2019 11:20
George was unlucky. Hit him in the midriff and rolled slowly onto the stumps. Shame he was looking good.

AGod 20 May, 2019 11:20
Entirely true, Rod. It all depends on the track firstly not flattening out at any point today (and for at least the first half of tomorrow) and then, on us bowling and catching well.

We've given a Warks bowling line-up that would have been bereft of confidence a significant boon this morning.

That's what also happened when Middx came down here and we realised that Tim Murtagh wasn't playing, so Rogers switched us to a green seamer and gave a present of those conditions to an inexperienced Middx seam attack. We lost that match (it was the infamous declaration game)................ Middx had a much stronger looking batting line-up for that one than Warks do for this..... but, still.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/05/2019 11:25 by AGod.

Rod1883 20 May, 2019 11:20
Bl00dy commentators curse - the BBC text saying Bartlett looking in good nick...…!!!

geordie moonraker 20 May, 2019 11:26
Apart from Hants we are doing the best of the lot!!

Rod1883 20 May, 2019 11:27
Yes, Hants must be wondering what's going on elsewhere with us ad Surrey both 5 wickets down, and them yet to lose one - playing on the Isle of Wight for the first time in ages

cricketharris 20 May, 2019 11:29
I suppose that Trescothick might now feel that he has been let off the criticism hook as Hildreth, Abell and Ali have also scored badly. He must bring early gloom to the dressing room though.

Rod1883 20 May, 2019 11:33
His was a poor shot imo. It brings the next batsmen in too early, and increases pressure on the whole batting line up. Tres may have been got out later by a good ball, but his job is to stay there and take the shine off the ball and the spark out of the bowlers, something I am sad to say he just isn't doing at the moment.

AGod 20 May, 2019 11:33
He should not be spared from very fair criticism of his appalling recent record at Taunton. There is no doubt that, against a moving ball, he is a liability.

And, yes, the sight of him repeatedly trudging back to the dressing room, inside 3 or 4 overs, will be inspiring precisely nobody.

AGod 20 May, 2019 11:34
I'm starting to worry that this track might be so uneven, that we could be in trouble for it. Oh, the irony, if the pitch deduction were finally to come for nothing to do with a turning ball...

AGod 20 May, 2019 11:37
Surrey 65 for 5, but that's on an out-ground where, I imagine, Morkel will cause havoc. Agent Mulder taking the wickets for Kent.

Worcs are 43-7, but that's vs Bunny and Jimmy on what is, presumably, a green top... although quite why Worcs didn't send Lancs into bat on it, I have zero clue (there was a toss, and then Lancs sent Worcs in, but game is in Manchester!)

Rod1883 20 May, 2019 11:45
What made you say that AG - the bouncer?
Spin now, this'll be interesting

Rod1883 20 May, 2019 11:49
That ball swung in the air didn't it, or is it just the camera angle?

AGod 20 May, 2019 11:49
Embarrassing morning, really.

The only consolation that I can think of is that they've bowled a stream of extras.

I'd guess we'll be 140-150 all out now, but at least we can start bowling when there is still (hopefully) plenty in the track.

AGod 20 May, 2019 11:50
They said a few had bounced strangely, Rod, and then, yes, they said there was a bouncer which Lewis let go that trampalined over the keeper's head. Only listening. Not watching. Will watch when we bowl, later on.

Mike K 20 May, 2019 11:54
Thank God for Mr Extras currently 39 not out

AGod 20 May, 2019 12:03
Jamie Overton has taken a wicket, but his figures suggest that he's done less well than the rest of the Northants bowlers, I'm afraid.

1-23 from 4 for Jamie. Sanderson, for example, has 3-9 from 8 overs. Buck and Proctor 1-12 and 1-13 from 5.

And because Sussex are 77 for 6, Jamie isn't even going to get that much bowling in, during this innings.

Nailsea_Fizz 20 May, 2019 12:05
Well that was exciting, passed Agods doom laden score prediction already

AGod 20 May, 2019 12:08
Don't count your chickens, Nailsea. On a track doing all sorts, the final four could easily for another 6 or 7 runs.

Grockle 20 May, 2019 12:14
Not a great start. We have had a difficulty with a solid top 3 for so long now we have to look at it seriously. The right choice of 1 and 2 (accumulator and 'pusher') with preferably an interchangeable 3 and 4 would be good.

It certainly isn't what we have now and although we can pick the innings up later (and do many times), it puts real pressure on the middle order far too often and makes hitting maximum batting points much harder to achieve.

We do not take the collection of bonus points seriously enough and lose out on close finishes because of it.

(Sm72)

Grizzers 20 May, 2019 12:37
Pretty crazy morning.

OH-D swinging it like a boomerang.

Scoring at very nearly five an over.

Six wickets down.

39 extras.

SCCC batting suffering from bi-polar disorder.

All before lunch.

Don’t think there will be much action on day four !

Grizzzly

Nailsea_Fizz 20 May, 2019 12:37
Not sure "doing all sorts" is accurate from what I've watched.

mikeindex 20 May, 2019 12:46
Marcus' misfortunes have added importance with James batting out of position (or at least out of the position he has occupied regularly and (mostly) with distinction for several years), and being exposed to the new ball far more regularly than before. James' returns at 3 have not been disastrous and his 90 in the last game was an excellent innings, but somehow I get the feeling he's more comfortable at 4.
I remarked two or three years ago that I thought Marcus would be better deployed down the order - he's an outstanding player of spin and has always relied on eye rather than technique against pace. His confidence must be low at present and he's not got the kind of breezy personality to shrug it off.
If he makes a ton in the second innings, on an easier wicket against the Division's weakest pace attack (excellently as the annoying H-D has bowled this morning - how can he possibly swing it away with that action??), I really don't think this would make much difference to my views.

mikeindex 20 May, 2019 12:49
Five an over before lunch and six wickets down - first-class cricket Omani style!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net