Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
'The Nearly Men' Lord's Final
Discussion started by Grockles.com , 25 May, 2019 10:31
'The Nearly Men' Lord's Final
Grockles.com 25 May, 2019 10:31
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2019 09:16 by Grockle.

The final 50 over Final at Lords
nelliec 21 May, 2019 17:40
With just three days remaining before our biggest game in years, in what could be the final domestic cup to be played at Lord's some disturbing news to see Tom Banton struggling around the county ground this afternoon, after retiring with a back spasm whilst scoring 67 no for the seconds today.
Another major factor is the inclusion of James Vince and Liam Dawson in the world cup squad, which makes them both unavailable for Hants on Saturday

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2019 18:42 by Grockle.

Re: The final final at Lords
AGod 21 May, 2019 18:03
Any chance, I wonder, of Davies keeping wicket and Tom playing just as a batsman? If the back is, say, 95 percent by Saturday, might not want to aggravate it by having him keep wicket and yet might want to make the slight gamble on having him at the top of the order?

Grockle 21 May, 2019 18:41
Ahh well I was hoping to be there but by the time the ECB had got its collective act together and confirmed things (some 8 days after initial enquiries and 3 automated responses from the office specifically for the final) the cost of travelling had doubled and so it will be finding places where I can get some of it live here instead.

As much as I wanted to be at the last one (for the moment), it is probably a good thing as the times that I have attended live finals we have lost while the times when I haven't we've won.

Here's hoping that continues.

(Sm72)

nelliec 21 May, 2019 19:08
At who's expense AG. Would have to be Bartlett one would assume, and he deserves his place on merit.

Re: The final 50 over Final at Lords
AGod 21 May, 2019 19:11
Yes, I tend to agree. Not really a suggestion, but just a "I wonder," kind of thing. Tom B would be a big miss. And it's easy to say "don't gamble if there's any doubt at all," but - especially for one-day as opposed to four day games, I think teams sometimes do make small gambles - and if he's, say I say, 95%, then it would possibly only be a small gamble... but a slightly larger one if he has to keep wicket for 50 overs first...

nelliec 21 May, 2019 19:24
Jason Kerr is hopeful that he will be fit, and says they will have a much better idea tomorrow morning.

AGod 21 May, 2019 19:27
I'm sure they will. Could all but vanish (the problem) over night.

If not, some sort of muscle relaxant might help.

Grizzers 21 May, 2019 20:10
He was walking around the ground at close of play, clearly in a lot of discomfort.

Time for the Club physio to earn his salary !

Grizzzly

Somerset LaLaLa 21 May, 2019 20:56
Statement on Hampshire website:

"ECB made representations to ICC on behalf of the board and Hampshire Cricket in an attempt to ensure Liam Dawson and James Vince were available for their county for the Royal London One-Day Cup final.

ICC regulations around global tournaments are clear that squad players are not permitted to play in domestic cricket after the start of the Support Period (May 23) and while we understand the ICC decision we are nevertheless disappointed that it will lead to two leading international players missing our showpiece domestic final at Lord's.

ECB Representative"

[www.ageasbowl.com]

My question - is this the end of the matter i.e. Bransgrove isn't going to appeal?

That Bloke With The Dog 21 May, 2019 22:04
There was a little chap at the ground yesterday, about 8 years old, wearing a Tom Banton replica shirt with the sleeves around his knees and the hem down to his ankles. Evidently his parents had decided Banton is going to have a long Somerset career, and the poor lad is just going to have to grow into his replica shirt if he wants one.

I do hope for his sake he gets to see his hero in action on Saturday.

Annunziata 22 May, 2019 01:40
Bants will play,no doubts.

Shepton Paul 2 22 May, 2019 08:07
I'll be there on Saturday, got my ticket for Edrich Upper...

I go to the Cup Final pretty much every year as it's convenient from where I live. Not seen my team there since 2001 (Boswell's game for some, Parsons' game for others). Can't wait, like a kid at Christmas - will be nice not just to cheer for Whoever's Playing Surrey.

Mike TA1 22 May, 2019 08:17
Ten coaches going from Somerset.

Bagpuss 22 May, 2019 08:27
Another abiding memory for me from 2001 is Afridi c Turner b Johnson. The ball spent longer in the air than it took for me to type this post.

AGod 22 May, 2019 08:35
Yes. Quite a lot longer, or so it seemed.

Angell Face 22 May, 2019 08:49
I look forward to seeing us lift the trophy on Saturday and the fellow I shall be most pleased for is Brian Rose.

Phantom 22 May, 2019 09:04
Quote:
milton Keane
Bants will play,no doubts.

Agree, he will be OK, if it was one of us we may be struggling but a professional sports club will get him back ok

Funny how the rumor about him have a hamstring injury went around so many various social media sites yesterday all off of one post on this forum !

Loyal of Lhasa 22 May, 2019 10:21
Quote:
Mike TA1
Ten coaches going from Somerset.

That would please Shane Warne!

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Phrench Phil 22 May, 2019 18:33
[quote Bagpuss]Another abiding memory for me from 2001 is Afridi c Turner b Johnson.
A propos 'Turner', I read recently that there is a Rob Turner playing for Weston-Super-Mare.
Does anybody on this thread know if it is the same Rob Turner?

AGod 23 May, 2019 07:38
Forecast seems good. Anyone any thoughts as to whether there’s liable to be any material advantage in either setting a target or chasing one?

I suspect that, pitch and overhead conditions wise, the answer will be ‘no.’

However, they say that one should always put the pressure on the stronger element of a team’s game. For us, our strongest element is, surely, our fielding? For that reason, I’d prefer to set a target, should we get the chance.

Phantom 23 May, 2019 08:39
[quote Phrench Phil][quote Bagpuss]Another abiding memory for me from 2001 is Afridi c Turner b Johnson.
A propos 'Turner', I read recently that there is a Rob Turner playing for Weston-Super-Mare.
Does anybody on this thread know if it is the same Rob Turner?[/quote]

Yes that his him

sfwithers 23 May, 2019 09:06
Weston seems to have been a veritable who's who of Somerset cricketers... Peter Trego, coach Sam Trego, Charl Willoughby for a few seasons, Rob Turner...

As for the final, I'll be watching it on TV with my dad. I toyed with taking him but he's 84 and has mobility issues, takes water tablets so needs the toilet a lot! Etc. Plus, I find actually watching finals in the flesh impossibly tense... I went to Som vs Sussex in the Gillette Cup in 1978 (lost), Som v Glos (lost), Som v Yorks (lost), Som v Leics (WIN) and Som v Warwick in the Clydesdale 40 over cup a few years ago. Yep, lost, after a totally unnecessary run-out (Hildreth?) after which they fell apart.

This year I'll be sorting wine and snacks for a good day's entertainment!

Good luck to those going.

Grizzers 23 May, 2019 09:07
That was a terrific catch by Rob Turner.

Afridi was the man who could have taken the match away from us very quickly & I don't think I have ever seen a higher skier at any game, ever.

RT keeping his nerve to catch it was a massive moment for us.

Grizzzly

Clarence Parker 23 May, 2019 09:31
I watched a recording of it when I got home. I timed the flight of the ball from the moment Afridi hit it until the completed catch by Rob Turner to be 8 seconds.

It doesn't sound long, but it is an eternity if you are waiting underneath.

sfwithers 23 May, 2019 10:11
I was thinking of finding the video - many thanks. And eight seconds is a huge amount of time to be waiting...

It was great to see the back of Afridi before he got going, He bowled well if I remember correctly, with our batsmen not picking up his googly at all - did he bowl three?

Lovely day out though, the sixes by Parsons, the Turner catch, the bowling of Boswell; I felt guilty about cheering the wides when I read an article a few years ago about Boswell, who never played top-level cricket again after that torrid experience.

AGod 23 May, 2019 11:46
Yes, sfwitgers.... we had a bad start, but there was then a long stand between Compton and Hildreth, broken only by a daft run out. Then Imran Tahir took the rest apart. But I still think we’d have won had we picked the best team for the conditions, bowling wise, rather than taking the old ‘We have to play the team that got us to the final,’ stance. Perhaps we overcompensated for the prior Graham Rose / Stefan Jones business?

Grockle 23 May, 2019 12:55
I took my kids to an event at the Milkennium stsdium in Cardiff where an England side including the likes of Nasser and Mark Saggers took on an Asia side full of Indian and Pakistani stars to promote short form cricket pre T20.

There were different scores for hitting the ball into different seating tiers. 4 to the rope, 6 over the rope, 8 1st tier 10 2nd and 12 for hitting the roof.

The only player who got a 12 was Afridi Much to the joy of the predominently Asian audience.

(Sm72)

sfwithers 23 May, 2019 13:47
At the Millennium it should be 30+ for hitting the roof, and I reckon that Afridi would be one of the few in with a chance.

I remember press coverage of games like that. It's a pity that British football/rugby pitches are just too small for similar games. The London Olympic stadium, with its athletics track dimensions would have been/would be ideal (didn't they try to host cricket but were turned down?).

(Completely off topic: after my reference to Half Man, Half Biscuit here recently, I went to see Robert Forster of the Go-Betweens last week and I'm seeing The Chameleons tonight. The cricket link? These are performers from the time when Somerset were one-day kings in the early 1980s, and I was young, healthy, full of life, vim and vigour... and if we win on Saturday I will be again. Briefly...!

My 84-year-old dad wants to live to Somerset win the CC, and if they do, it'll probably give him a heart attack. But I doubt he'd want a better way to go. This is partly flippant/partly serious.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2019 14:54 by sfwithers.

AGod 23 May, 2019 14:53
I was surprised, when T20 was first devised, that it didn’t represent a more radical departure from the game as we know it.

Such departures could have included zoned boundaries like that above, or a fixed number of balls per partnership with no dismissals that remove a batsman from the arena... with things done on a ‘single wicket,’ type basis where a dismissal incurs penalty runs to baseball type arrangements where not everybody has to bat, bowl and field etc.

I was surprised that these sort of things didn’t come in to start with (given that T20 was supposed to bring in new audiences and that the new format was, initially, not taken very seriously and and I’m even more surprised - given their hatred of traditional cricket - that the Egotistical Cricket Board aren’t intent on far more radical departures from the existing T20 format, in their cursed ‘Hundred.’

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net