Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: 'The Nearly Men' Lord's Final
Grizzers 26 May, 2019 10:31
I am feeling very fortunate, as I've never yet been at a final where Somerset have lost !

Having been at Lord's in 1979 & again for the B & H wins in the early 1980's, I was also at the C & G 'Boswell' Final in 2001, but didn't travel over for the 2010 final. Nor have I ever been to any of the T20 finals days.

So I'm looking forwards to being at the first Trent Bridge final next year, whatever the format of the new tournament is.

Meantime, let's see if we can win this Championship thing ....

Grizzzly

stevecav 26 May, 2019 10:35
Thanks for all the condolences. Very much appreciated. A Somerset win would have been emotional enough but the circumstances made it doubly so.

sfwithers 26 May, 2019 11:07
Grizzly, carry on going!

I've seen Somerset lose to Sussex, Gloucester, Yorkshire and Warwickshire - but was at least there for Leics!

sfwithers 26 May, 2019 11:09
Stevecav - my condolences.

I was going to travel to the final with my 84-year-old dad but sadly his health didn't allow it.

sfwithers 26 May, 2019 11:24
Well, that was a fantastic team effort. There has been some criticism on this board at times about Somerset not always performing as a team - not this time. I'm not sure whether Somerset would have batted it they'd won the toss - I think they back themselves chasing. Either way, they clearly had a plan, and rarely have I seen a team stick to the battleplan so diligently.

The Sky commentators somewhat grudgingly finally had to admit that Somerset were better in all departments – and convincingly so, batting, bowling and fielding. Davey never looks that threatening, but could have been close to man of the match for his opening spell, which set the tone beautifully, especially as he clearly had a bit of a niggle. But the bowlers kept a beautiful line and length, they never got after van der Merwe who looked more of a threat than the much-vaunted Crane. The fielding was first rate; I had a very bad feeling when Hildreth dropped that catch in the slips, but I needn't have worried.

I also thought the commentators overly bigged up the effects of Hants final three overs. Yes, it was a good finish for them, but Somerset would have take a score of 244 every day of the week. With a team that bats down to 10 and on what most people agreed was a wicket 'full of runs', that looked massively below par. And so the first few overs proved.

Maybe if Fidel had bowled from the other end, who knows. It's all very well bowling at 92mph, but if it's a leg-side half-volley a player like Banton (just how good is he!?) is going to hit them all day long, and that 4-6-4 made Hampshire's innings look inadequate. Somerset were able to win at a counter with only one six on the scorecard.

Great captaincy from Abell, and if he'd got a score he could also have been a contender for MOTM. As for Hildreth's batting... he scored at more than a run a ball while never looking like he was hurrying, partly the result of the lack of 'scoreboard pressure', partly the fact he's such a quality batsman.

If Somerset were to go on and win the CC (I'm not counting chickens here) with a young team featuring a lot of home-grown talent, it would make even more of a mockery of the ECB's treatment of them. Frankly, the ECB can stick the Hundred up their a**e.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2019 12:50 by sfwithers.

hantssabre 26 May, 2019 12:05
A brilliant win and to be honest one that never really looked in doubt. Being a Hampshire member but born and bred in Bath, I always want Somerset to win when they play Hampshire but am always happy for Hampshire to beat anybody else. Hope to get down to Taunton for some of the CC match against Hampshire in July as I’ve never been to Taunton a lot but really enjoyed our time at the equivalent match last season in May. I know the Bowl isn’t popular with most on here but we enjoy it as a stadium but accept that’s it’s not a proper cricket ground like Taunton. Might even try and make the last CC game of the season if we are looking like potential pennant winners!

Do you think the RLC trophy will be paraded in front of the Hampshire fans at what will be the next home match in July?

Grockle 26 May, 2019 12:11
Bloody Hell Hants..... hadn't thought of that!! Well that's the next time we can get into our own ground.

Might have to do it. Delicately.

(Sm72)

Grizzers 26 May, 2019 12:51
Quote:
Mike TA1
I wondered if I should have put this link on the 100 thread. [www.thecricketer.com]

Thanks for the link Mike.

An excellent article, summing up the situation very well.

I didn’t hear the names of Colin Graves or Tom Harrison mentioned yesterday. Can’t think why as I’m sure they would have got a very warm reception from all of the fans ?!

Grizzzly

Mike TA1 26 May, 2019 13:22
Stevecav, when I read your post I couldn't find the correct words to say how I feel and my sorrow for your loss.

Memories are a comfort, remember the good times.

Mike TA1 26 May, 2019 13:28
Quote.
I didn’t hear the names of Colin Graves or Tom Harrison mentioned yesterday.

The same reason Graves wasn't at the CC presentation last year, they are running scared of supporters of cricket.

Grockle 26 May, 2019 14:50
A little change of wallpaper for the rest of the season lads and lasses courtesy of Press Associates who deigned to turn up yesterday to a cricket match and take some delightful photos.

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse 26 May, 2019 14:55
Somerset Seconds are playing Hampshire Seconds in a three-dayer at Taunton Vale from tomorrow. Perhaps they could parade the RL trophy there.

Grockle 26 May, 2019 14:59
If it was footy we'd have an open top bus through the town. The boyz have a week off.... any chances of that? If you wanna sell the game sell the team!!

(Sm72)

AGod 26 May, 2019 15:26
SF Withers - FYI - Tom said we’d have batted first, had we won the toss. He also said that we would ‘probably,’ have inserted Notts, at Trent Bridge, had we won that toss.

Shepton Paul 2 26 May, 2019 15:27
sfwithers: Abell said afterwards that he'd have batted first if he'd won the toss, while in the semifinal he'd have bowled first.

stevecav: condolences and sympathies for your recent loss.

There was a guy at Lord's yesterday, and walking back towards Paddington, with Exterminate Cricket Board printed on the back of a blue tshirt - if the first word had been Execrable, I'd have known who it was!

Shepton Paul 2 26 May, 2019 15:28
Overlapping posts!

Grockle 26 May, 2019 15:34
But both of value I would say

(Sm72)

Grockle 26 May, 2019 18:49
I've been right through my news apps on my phone. 150+ pages of UK sport on Flipchart. No mention of yesterday at all. WC cricket references, report on yesterdays game at Southampton. NO domestic cricket at all

Microsoft Launcher newsfeed. 40+ swipes no mention again. cricket stories yes but all WC related

Are the ECB press agency and marketing departmenta inept or is there a policy of keeping the spotlight on its initiatives at the expense of anything else in domestic cricket?

If I was Royal London I'd want my sponsorship money back or a damn big refund. Was there any national coverage last night?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2019 20:06 by Grockle.

AGod 26 May, 2019 19:04
It was in about the 8th position on the BBC cricket website.

Royal London do,indeed, deserve a refund.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a clause in their deal committing the Egotistical Cricket Board to ‘use best endeavours to gain publicity for the competition,” and they’ve plainly done nothing of the sort.

Somerset LaLaLa 26 May, 2019 19:12
Nothing on the BBC tv news yesterday evening

Loyal of Lhasa 26 May, 2019 19:30
In a brief report on the match yesterday evening Radio Five managed to say that Somerset, without the services of Vince who was playing for England, beat Hampshire! That makes the win even more remarkable.

I hope Hants01 heard that.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Wickham 26 May, 2019 19:36
I think it’s really unfair that Hampshire Seconds are being made to play during the World Cup purdah period, given that two of their number will have been removed to play for the Firsts, to cover for the absence of Vince and Dawson.

Grockle 26 May, 2019 20:10
The country's 2nd domestic sport is not seen as worthy of news coverage while the governing body complain bitterly about a lack of young person participation. How do people start to participate when they are totally unaware of events or games taking place. Do they have a PR department or is it just '100' only a year before it starts?

Was the England warm up covered? Bet the ECB spinners were out pushing that, shaking hands, making calls, pulling in favours, sending emails.

Hypocrits are everywhere.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/05/2019 02:19 by Grockle.

Loyal of Lhasa 27 May, 2019 09:40
Wickham: I think the Hants 2nd XI scandal needs to be taken to the ECJ while we still have access to it.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grizzers 27 May, 2019 11:18
A selection of niece pieces on James Hildreth (some may need to register to view):

[www.espncricinfo.com]

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Grizzzly

mikeindex 27 May, 2019 16:30
Quote:
Grizzzly
A selection of niece pieces on James Hildreth

My congratulations to the Hildreth family on the addition to James' brother's/sister's family.

Grizzers 27 May, 2019 16:53
(Sm6)

WeAreSomerset 27 May, 2019 19:56
Great great day.
Although London born and bred, my first game I ever attended was as a 10 yr old at the 1983 WC final. I remember being entranced by Viv Richards and the next year I watched Somerset v Lancashire on BBC2 in the John Player League and that was when I decided to support Somerset.
I didn't even know where the place was but I get down there once a season with pals and it's always worth the day out, whatever the weather.
I had the privilege to take my 11 yr old on Saturday, an avid Middlesex fan, who was mightily impressed with the Somerset support and songs and, even better, tonight in the nets after colts practice wanted to 'sweep like Tom Banton'.
Really hope this team can go and win more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/05/2019 19:57 by WeAreSomerset.

Grockle 27 May, 2019 20:49
It is scary how Tom seems to have been born to sweep

(Sm72)

Bobstan 28 May, 2019 06:53
Social reformers worked for generations to ensure that people were no longer born to sweep. It's a disgrace.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net