Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: The final 50 over Final at Lords
Grockle 23 May, 2019 16:09
There was a competitor for the T20 concept which was being pushed by an ANZAC (kiwi I think) cricketer of the time with West Country links which had a pilot game at Taunton.

It was much more 'basebally' but the marketing pitch was a bit 'arts and crafts' and it never came to anything.

(Sm72)

AGod 23 May, 2019 16:53
Hmmm... interesting.

Shepton Paul 2 23 May, 2019 16:58
That was Martin Crowe.

Scrumper 23 May, 2019 18:23
Quote:
Grockle
I took my kids to an event at the Milkennium stsdium in Cardiff where an England side including the likes of Nasser and Mark Saggers took on an Asia side full of Indian and Pakistani stars to promote short form cricket pre T20.

I went to that, I remember Afridi hitting the roof. It was called "Power Cricket", was it two games of 15-overs-a-side?

cricketjerry-mouse 23 May, 2019 19:26
In a nicely balanced interview on cricinfo, Hampshire`s Kyle Abbott believes his side`s main edge will come from familiarity with Lord`s from playing in last year`s final, while Somerset will be out of their comfort zone. Quite a bold statement really, as Hants will be without their most experienced batsman James Vince and spin bowler Liam Dawson.

Interesting that Abbott seems in a way to regret giving up his South African Test career to become a Kolpak with Hampshire. He puts his decision down to his country`s selection policy, but says six month later he might have taken a different view.

Somerset LaLaLa 23 May, 2019 19:42
Marcus's guide:

[www.thecricketer.com]

geordie moonraker 23 May, 2019 20:46
Well you certainly can't fault Marcus for positivity.

AGod 23 May, 2019 20:51
"In a nicely balanced interview on cricinfo, Hampshire`s Kyle Abbott believes his side`s main edge will come from familiarity with Lord`s from playing in last year`s final, while Somerset will be out of their comfort zone. Quite a bold statement really, as Hants will be without their most experienced batsman James Vince and spin bowler Liam Dawson."

Bold... and, surely, completely confounded by the recent form in this series between Somerset and Hants:

1. They almost always beat us in 50 over games at Taunton.

2. We usually beat them in 50 over games at Hedge End.

Apart from that, it's hardly as though our guys have never played at Lord's.

Of the starting XI, I'd think the only ones that *might* not have played at Lord's would be George Bartlett and Tom Banton, if he plays. I'm not 100% certain that Craig Overton has done, mind. I've seen all of our other batsmen and bowlers (bar Azhar who has obviously played there for Pak) play at Lord's, but I can't swear that I've seen Craig bowl there.

nelliec 23 May, 2019 21:23
So if you go by Marcus's team assumption, and all our players hit their average score we should set Hampshire approximately 370. Will take that !!!

Somerset LaLaLa 23 May, 2019 21:40
Cove bowled at Lords in CC1 2016

That Bloke With The Dog 23 May, 2019 22:23
I didn't read that Abbott interview as an expression of regret at going Kolpak. Nor implying that he would have ultimately done anything different, had he waited 6 months. Just that if he HAD waited 6 months, then he would have had the chance to play the Champions Trophy and the SA tour of England. But after that, he's still convinced that he would have been frozen out of the SA side, with the returns of Steyn and Morkel.

And he goes on to point out that it's always better to be 6 months early than try to be clever and be 6 months too late (with the Kolpak opportunity possibly no longer available).

Annunziata 23 May, 2019 22:42
ON course for the double

Scrumper 24 May, 2019 00:42
Double runners-up?

Annunziata 24 May, 2019 02:15
125 years of pain to end Scrumper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2019 02:21 by milton Keane.

AGod 24 May, 2019 06:34
Hahaha - good one, scrumper.

I was a bit shocked to see some talk of ‘the treble,’ from one of the club’s officials the other day.

It is presumptuous, in the extreme, to talk about winning a competition that hasn’t, yet, even begun!

Clarence Parker 24 May, 2019 20:57
My very best wishes to the players, the club and to all those who will be attending tomorrow.

It seems an eternity since I first went to Lord's for a one - day Final in 1967; wish I could still do it but I will be seated around the TV nevertheless.

And with Brian Rose back on board as Club President, what could be more appropriate than a full - throttled rendition of 'We are the lads of Rosie's Army...….'

sfwithers 24 May, 2019 21:21
Clarence, my father was at the Lords final in 1967 (he still blames Geoff Clayton for some reason) and I've been to a succession of Lords finals with him since, but we're also watching it on TV. I'd love to go with my old dad but it's just too difficult.

Hopes and wishes with the fans and players for tomorrow. Lord knows I'll be tense just watching it on the small screen!

geordie moonraker 24 May, 2019 22:19
Too far away and too many years on the clock,but the sofa is booked,the Thatchers is in the fridge and the Wurzels are by the CD player. May everybody going have wonderful day and may all the players show exactly why we believe in them. Onwards and upwards

Hants01 24 May, 2019 23:06
No Dawson, no Vince, no overseas player. What more do Somerset need? Hants to play without a full number of players? Hants players to be blindfolded? When Somerset win, the prizemoney and MOTM award should be donated by Somerset to the ECB who, in scheduling the competition's final now, have denuded Hants of key players. We await the margin of Somerset's victory. I have no doubt Hants would have won with their best team out.

George Dobell's article in The Cricketer this month is apposite: a deliberate downgrading of domestic competitions to big up The Hundred?

cricketjerry-mouse 24 May, 2019 23:59
Somerset have included Tom Banton in their 14-strong squad for Lord`s, but also Steve Davies as a precaution.

Jamie Overton is in the squad, but not fellow loanee Dom Bess, and two additions from the side that beat Notts in the semi are Tim Groenewald and Ben Green.

Hampshire make four additons from their semi-final line-up - wicket-keeper Lewis McManus, America-born Ian Holland, who won his first cricket contract with Victoria in Australia via a Reality TV Cricket Star contest, and batsmen and occasional off-break bowlers Joe Weatherley and Brad Taylor.

Mike TA1 25 May, 2019 00:10
Anybody living close to Taunton and haven't SKY the match is on at the Stragglers coffee house, they are staying open for as long as the match last.

Grizzzly 25 May, 2019 04:35
A big day is dawning !

Suitably fortified by a cup of tea from a SCCC mug, us be zoon on our way to Lord’s.

Come on Somerset !!!

Grizzzly

Bagpuss 25 May, 2019 04:55
Morning Mr Grizz! Sandwich making then off to get the 6.19 from Honiton 🏆

wsm fan 25 May, 2019 05:04
Very best wishes to all starting their trips to Lords.
I literally can not wait!

Having attended Rosey's event on Weston Pier last night i am more than ready for this.
As Brian said if we can learn today what it takes to win today this could be the start of a very special era for the club and a very special 2019.

LETS DO THIS BOYS 🏆🏆🏆

Grockle 25 May, 2019 05:05
Goodnight Bag. Off to sleep with alarm on for 7 when the gane starts here. Have a really great time and the result will be the right one.

(Sm72)

Bagpuss 25 May, 2019 06:44
In other news - wishing Farmer White all the best in his role as Father of the Groom today. #topnotchscheduling

AGod 25 May, 2019 07:00
Hants 01 - Whilst we understand - and even share - your frustration, your post is disrespectful to all concerned - not least to the Hants players that will grace Lord’s.

Equally, your assertion that you are ‘sure,’ Hants would win, if at full strength.

I like Liam Dawson. He’s a good cricketer. I don’t particularly like James Vince but, by County standards, I concede that he’s a good player. But you write as though Barry Richards, Gordon Greenidge and Malcolm Marshall have been ruled out, whereas the truth is that the number of world-beaters that have been ruled out is zero.

Given that recent Som vs Hants games have largely been split - with each side losing the home games, you have zero reason to be ‘certain,’ that you’d win, if only at full-strength. Equally, I can assure you that there’s zero reason to be certain we’ll win... we’re not rolling out Viv and Joel and Beefy, you know.

I remember well that you posted identical defeatist nonsense before a CC game last year, informing us that an SCCC win was inevitable. And did we win said game? No.

AGod 25 May, 2019 07:02
Oh - Hants 01 - we, of course, abhor the Hundred. However, my understanding is that the ECB want Vince and Dawson to play but that an ICC rule precludes it.

AGod 25 May, 2019 07:03
Which mug do you have, Grizz? Mine’s an MT benefit job.

Grizzzly 25 May, 2019 07:57
Just the latest SCCC mug from the club shop AG. a trifle underwhelming but it does the job !

Where are you based Bagpuss ? I set off from just outside Cullompton at 4.45 a.m..

Anyway, happy travels all !

Nice buzz outside the ground at 5.30 a.m., (with a few locals wondering what on earth was going on !).

How was Brian’s event wsm ? I wondered if attendance might have been impacted by today’s hame.

Grizzzly

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net