Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: Surrey - We’re Coming To You
Tumbles 06 June, 2019 11:28
Quote:
somexile
8 down now, Clarke gone
I'm worried about the health of AGod - no posts since 9.36 this morning

Because we're winning.

Tumbles 06 June, 2019 11:35
Well, that was quite the win.

Nailsea_Fizz 06 June, 2019 11:36
another win, on we march with 22 more points.

Bring on Kent.

sandhills 06 June, 2019 11:36
Postaminute, im concerned! But not much!

somexile 06 June, 2019 11:36
Blackbird Time!

Loyal of Lhasa 06 June, 2019 11:37
Absolutely brilliant result for this year's CC champions. I blame WSM Fan and Geordie Moonraker and other ridiculous optimists.

Only one candidate for MotM: for dropping Bartlett first ball it has to be Rikky Clarke.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Shepton Paul 2 06 June, 2019 11:39
Genuinely amazed - and delighted! I knew we had a chance this morning, but really didn't expect that. Fantastic bowlers we have, congrats to them all - if we could sort our batting, we'd have a hell of a team!😉👏👏👏

Somerset - we bowl teams out.

sfwithers 06 June, 2019 11:39
Well, well, well! Look at Cricinfo and it's 100-odd for 2, then 120-odd for five. And then game, with five wickets for Brooks, the decision to bolster the bowling line-up over the winter looking a sound one. Would be good if our top order were to get some runs, might even be a little less tense...

Not sure we'll see Abell opening again, which hasn't seemed a great success...

geordie moonraker 06 June, 2019 11:41
From 94 for 1 to 164 all out is rather spectacular. I don’t think even my optimism extended that far. And I agree with LoLs MoM nomination

hantssabre 06 June, 2019 11:41
Brilliant win. Wish I was blessed with WSM’s optimism. Now hope for the same result at Kent

brt1919 06 June, 2019 11:43
Well, I can cancel my whole day’s holiday & go to work this afternoon now! Was tempted to ask for a partial refund given how little cricket we saw 😂

Grizzers 06 June, 2019 11:44
Simply stunning performance with the ball. It's a bit scary to think what we could achieve if the top order batting starts firing.

Wonder what the odds would have been at the start of play today for a win by over 100 runs !

Can't help wondering what our illustrious opponents would have said if 25 wickets had fallen at Taunton in under four sessions.

Likely something about peasants, doctored pitches and favourtism from the ECB. :-)

Grizzzly

Sloop John B 06 June, 2019 11:48
This is a seriously good side. The bowling unit aleays coming up with the .goods.
Fifteen point lead in Div 1 and one trophy already in the cabinet...

Loyal of Lhasa 06 June, 2019 11:52
At the end of today's play all Div One sides will have played five matches and - at just over a third of the way through the season - we shall have a realistic view of the respective performance of each of the eight teams. With an even number of teams, surely it would be possible for every team to be involved in every round, but I suppose that would be too easy for ECB.

Even if we do very badly in the next match, we cannot end it lower than 2nd in the table.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Shepton Paul 2 06 June, 2019 11:58
Spoken like a true pessimist, LoL 😉

Railboy 06 June, 2019 11:59
This was a huge result! that is 3 wins now where we have gone in to the final phase of the game in a losing position. This bunch of young men have something special in their mentality. Whilst I am not counting those chickens yet, I am abandoning my plans for a September holiday!
Much is made of our top order failures, but that at least gives time for our bowling unit to work its magic!

rodders 06 June, 2019 12:00
Unbelievable ! You couldn't make it up - just as well they ignored AG and " risked " our man Brookes !

Bobstan 06 June, 2019 12:01
Yes, Sloop it really is a bowling UNIT. We write off Timmy G and Brooks at our peril.

Can't argue with LoL on this occasion (Boring!); it has to be Clarke for MoM.

AGod 06 June, 2019 12:01
Quote:
Tumbles
Quote:
somexile
8 down now, Clarke gone
I'm worried about the health of AGod - no posts since 9.36 this morning

Because we're winning.

Utter crap. Always post regardless of match situation.

Didn’t post because I’m in Lisbon now, was having a guided tour in Portuguese and had no time to so much as look at the score (was a one-to-one tour, so would have been rude)

cricketjerry-mouse 06 June, 2019 12:04
Sorry to see that on the 75th anniversary of D-Day, of all days, when an indomitable spirit saw us through to victory, and following another glorious win for Somerset, there are still posters aplenty looking for the downside.

What about our top order, they agitate (ignoring today`s national newspaper reports today that the umpire apologised to Marcus for his second innings decision, when the live screening showed him nowhere near the ball after his trademark `leave`).

What about Surrey`s attitude towards Taunton, they ponder. What about poor team selection, they chant.

Misery me....even when Somerset have beaten last year's champions by 100-plus runs.

AGod 06 June, 2019 12:06
Now delighted to admit wrong on team selection, with Brooks/TG doing us proud today, per a report that I just received.

We can’t, however, continue to carry Marcus.

One day our bowlers won’t bail us out. On another day, Clarke would have caught George (I think even I might have caught George!)

So, we can’t pick a batsman for sentimental reasons, we just can’t.

MoM? Craig, Jamie, George or possibly even Brooks for finishing it off?

Mike TA1 06 June, 2019 12:11
Can I breath now!

I do remember a similar match position when we needed about the same number of wickets on the last day of a match, and won. I didn't get involved in the conversation this morning about winning today, we just seem to be able to do it with our set of bowlers.

Spinner not needed today.

AGod 06 June, 2019 12:16
Quote:
Bagpuss
I don't think Surrey won many matches chasing last season. If my memory serves they won a large number of their matches by an innings.
Oh and why on earth are we bowling Brooks when the pitch really doesn't suit him 😂😂😂

What I said is that conditions should have suited him as overheads were producing swing but that, prior to today, he hadn’t, in fact, carried much threat.

I said that, perhaps, the bounce evident in the pitch was why Overtons had been more effective... but bowling about overheads as well as pitch and, by the sounds of it, Brooks utilizes the overheads brilliantly today?

wsm fan 06 June, 2019 12:19
I would like to apologise for my lack of faith in our bowling unit. I had expected a win around 2pm realistically but as so often they came to the party with a 100 run win before i had even tucked into my sarnies.

As predicted though clear top with 4 wins from 5 and Surrey as good as gone as title challengers.

BLACKBIRD

AGod 06 June, 2019 12:22
Surrey’s hopes are, indeed, over.

Shame.

Grockle 06 June, 2019 12:26
There was a lovely commentator moment when Tim came on to bowl and the Surrey man said this would be a bit of a relief for the Surrey men whereupon Tim cleaned bowled his first batsman.

This is what we got Brooks for and he did us proud today. The bowlers in this game have been stupendous.

BUT please keep in mind that the real difference batting wise was George Bartlett. LoL is right. Rickie Clarke did us a massive favour dropping him.

Our batting is still fragile and needs serious consideration in order to keep this momentum going.

But for the moment..........

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2019 12:28 by Grockle.

AGod 06 June, 2019 12:33
For the moment, I shall enjoy a vat of Vinho Porto and an Overton sized block of cheese to celebrate!

Surrey - We’re Coming To You
Following on 06 June, 2019 12:52
Just fantastic!!!

We've done the hard yards in past seasons and come up agonisingly short at the last. Maybe, just maybe this team are able to go the extra mile....

#DARE TO DREAM

It's never dull when you have Somerset in your blood!

I wish I had your belief WSM, but when the doubts creep in I always know that the eleven men wearing the Wyvern, are doing their level best. Sometimes the opposition play well and we come out on the wrong end of a result. It hurts, but I'm sure it hurts the players more.

Wickham 06 June, 2019 14:55
Tom Abell said in his post-match interview that he would rather have been in Surrey’s position than ours at the start of play. I shared that view and, having been out of contact until a few minutes ago, looked up the score, fearing a comprehensive Surrey win (bearing in mind the strength of their batting). What a fantastic performance by the bowlers and fielders to turn the match around and bring us a convincing win.

The team spirit - with many of the players having grown up together and seemingly enjoying each other’s company and under the excellent captaincy of Tom Abell - must surely have made a major contribution to this year’s many successes.

mikeindex 06 June, 2019 14:58
Well said @Following On.
Yorkshire making no attempt to force the pace so have clearly resigned themselves to a draw (which once Essex avoided the follow-on was extremely likely whatever they did). So we go in 15 pts ahead of 2nd place and 25 ahead of 3rd.
Dom took 3 wickets (= 1 bonus point). If Yorkshire beat us to the title by one point I will be sad.

Well said @Wickham too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2019 15:01 by mikeindex.

Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net