Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 13 of 13
Re: Surrey - We’re Coming To You
Wickham 07 June, 2019 07:40
A beautifully evocative piece, JCW. I am sure that, having read this, I will have convinced myself, by the time I reach my dotage, that I was there on the fourth day, as well as the first.

Grizzers 07 June, 2019 07:49
I see Surrey are playing Yorkshire at Guildford next week, so perhaps they could do us a favour and find some form.

When does Dom’s loan spell with Yorks. end ?

Grizzzly

Des Platt 07 June, 2019 07:56
Thanks for your comments above. I have a terrible record watching cricket on holiday having just had two weeks off for Cheltenham and Liverpool so perhaps best not to invite me! I have a habit of going to see four days and seeing one or two either with rain or last season’s tie or seeing Lancs defeated in a day and a half at Worcester.

I do think your time has come and I may even come down this September if there is no chance of my wrecking it. Don’t buy me any cider though ; real ale rules!

This Forum is great and I just wish I had more time to come on here. We had a Forum like this in Lancashire a few years ago but many people have been put off by the amount of spam we get on it and also some over personal comments. We lacked a good moderator.

I’ve always had a lot of affection for Somerset Cricket. When Lancs won 3 Gillette cups 70-2 we played you each year in three really good games ; sorry if that is a painful memory for some of you. I also remember in 74 your semi final against Kent when the very young Viv Richards was given out leg before to Derek Underwood ( I think by a Kentish umpire ) when it would have hit the middle of the next set. As I’ve said before, love to see you win this Championship. You certainly have the momentum we had in 2011 when I was confidently predicting Lancs success from about the fourth game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 07:57 by Des Platt.

wsm fan 07 June, 2019 08:22
Dom's loan spell "officially" ends next Thursday evening!

It's going to take some good work from Mr Hurry to bring him back mind!
He is under contract until Sept 2020 so i assume we can do as we please, but equally a unhappy Dom in the camp may not be good for us.
I can see a real option of him playing in the Hamps & Notts home matches, but if the management dont we may be at a crunch point.

Having been a division 1 number 1 spinner for a month AND done well i cant imagine the 2s at Taunton Vale will excite him overly.
Maybe a compromise is a division 2 loan for the next month as i agree with the posts on here it will be madness to let him continue to assist Yorkshire in challenging our title ambitions.

2 of Yorkies last 9 are against us too so he would automatically not be allowed to play in those 2 anyway.

The first of which is July13 which clashs with a Lions fixture which i am already concerned over. We may not have a bowling attack at all for Headingley!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 09:01 by wsm fan.

Grizzers 07 June, 2019 08:35
Interesting thoughts wsm, with which I agree.

Does the loan system allow a player to be loaned to different counties, in either division, in the same season ?

If so, Dom will likely soon be applying for membership of the nomads association !

Grizzzly

Mike TA1 07 June, 2019 08:49
The Cricketer Mag, report on the last day's play. [www.thecricketer.com]

Grockle 07 June, 2019 09:43
If the loan period is over why couldn't Dom play against Yorkshire? Thought playing restrictions only applied DURING the loan period.

(Sm72)

Grizzers 07 June, 2019 10:09
Re-reading the Yorkshire news release from 8 May, it says Dom is available for them v. Surrey next week, which really does highlight the conundrum of the loan system.

I guess the fact that the Guildford strip looked pretty unfriendly for spinners might work in our (but not Dom's) favour.

Grizzzly

AGod 07 June, 2019 10:33
Grockle - Dom can play for us against Yorks, I believe. But not for Yorks against us.

WSM - I think the Lions - unusually for the ECB - do try to be mindful of not taking too many players out of specific CC matches.

So, I think they will only take lots of ours if they also take lots of Yorkshire’s players. But probably only Ben Coad will merit a call for Yorks (they’d learn nothing new about Ballance) so they might only take one of ours. And it might not be a bowler. Lewis will probably barely have returned from injury and they may already know what they need to about Overtons. Little obvious point in picking Leachy. Tom Banton or George Bartlett might be most likely, IMO.

AGod 07 June, 2019 11:05
WSM - Chelmsford has been known to turn plenty, and Simon Harmer has been in form. So Essex away may have potential for two spinners to be played.

Essex might prefer to take their chances with Harmer vs Leachy and maybe Bess, rather than Porter and Siddle vs Brooks and Overtons.

Certainly it’s unlikely Essex would produce a green seamer for us to send them in on.

So either a flat track or a turning track are conceivable. Either, in my view, would provide a good case for 2 spinners though, in the former case, that would require Dom to maintain strong form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 11:08 by AGod.

Somerset LaLaLa 07 June, 2019 11:19
On the subject of our recent successful championship run chases, they are fairly sparse on the ground.

In May 2016 we chased 301 against Surrey at Taunton winning by 1 wicket.
We also chased 99 against Notts and 41 against Yorks (both for no wickets) later that season.

After the Notts follow on run fest in 2018, we got the tricky target of 248 winning by 6 wickets.

One of the reasons I prefer Somerset to bat first

AGod 07 June, 2019 11:28
Yes, the epic TG/Leachy stand.

Against Notts, Mybs smashed Tahir all over Trent Bridge, which was great fun.

wsm fan 07 June, 2019 11:43
[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

If i were reading between the lines here i'd suggest Tres is playing Monday AND Dom will return after Thursday and be involved in 1 or both the next 2 home matches......

AGod 07 June, 2019 12:00
One other point re: Essex away:

Their biggest strength is Cook. But a green seamer would neutralize that strength. Cook is at his best on either something quick and bouncy (they won’t try to produce that), a Turner, or something flat.

If I were Essex, I’d go with something flat and rely on Cook displaying reserves of stamina and concentration that other batsmen in the match would lack, or gamble on a turner and on Cook being the best player of spin on either side.

AGod 07 June, 2019 12:03
Well, if Trescothick is in the know, then it certainly sounds as though there are no plans to let Dom go out anywhere else, after this loan.

Grizzers 07 June, 2019 12:24
Quote:
wsm fan
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/other-sport/marcus-trescothick-somerset-right-county-2950350
If i were reading between the lines here i'd suggest Tres is playing Monday AND Dom will return after Thursday and be involved in 1 or both the next 2 home matches......

There's also very interesting extended interview with Brian Rose within the page from your link wsm.

Grizzzly

Grockle 07 June, 2019 12:59
Thanks AG. That was my understanding of the rules. So Dom would be available for Headingly and Taunton. Would be a good way of keeping a spinner out of later games if you took em on loan early and that stopped you facing them later in the summer.

(Sm72)

Grockle 07 June, 2019 13:07
Quote:
AGod
Yes, the epic TG/Leachy stand.
Against Notts, Mybs smashed Tahir all over Trent Bridge, which was great fun.

Yes. The Mybs opener. The first time we got a taste of what Johann could do to a bowler if he got his eye in. Absolute blood on the walls - so satisfying against Tahir who Notts thought might turn that game.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 13:07 by Grockle.

Nailsea_Fizz 08 June, 2019 13:25
Chepstow races - Don't know why I thought this might be of interest to this forum. Apologies as the post missed it's intended target by several pitch widths.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 23:50 by Nailsea_Fizz.

Bobstan 08 June, 2019 15:03
Mornington Crescent

Current Page: 13 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net