Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Charles Clark
Discussion started by Roger ivanhoe , 21 June, 2019 12:25
Charles Clark
Roger ivanhoe 21 June, 2019 12:25
Very sad to hear our Chairman Charles Clark passed away in the early hours of this morning.

May he rest in peace.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/06/2019 16:50 by Grockle.

Re: Charles Clark
Bagpuss 21 June, 2019 12:55
Oh that is sad news, we were only talking of him yesterday.
Remembering how happy he looked at Lord's after the RLODC final.

Mike TA1 21 June, 2019 13:17
Not unexpected but still very sad news, my thoughts are with his wife, family and friends.

I spoke to him at the Royal London celebration evening, he had a nurse with him pushing the wheel chair.

RIP.

Rod1883 21 June, 2019 13:26
RIP, thoughts go to the family

Grockle 21 June, 2019 13:44
Good point that he got the RLODC before he passed. Sad news but not unexpected. Last time I saw him he was very frail and that was some 3 months ago.

Commiserations to his family and friends.

(Sm72)

hantssabre 21 June, 2019 13:47
Very sad news. Let’s win the Championship in his memory

Let’s win the CC for CC

RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2019 14:28 by hantssabre.

Mike TA1 21 June, 2019 15:35
I have had an email from the club, it is the same on the clubs website. [www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

Somerset LaLaLa 21 June, 2019 17:02
Extremely sad. Leaving us as we find ourselves Top Of The County Championship by a mile and with the 50 Over Trophy in the cabinet

Grizzzly 21 June, 2019 17:19
Very sorry to hear this.

Saw him at the RLODC Final, looking very proud to be photographed with the team as they celebrated their win.

Sincere condolences to his family.

Grizzzly

Grockle 21 June, 2019 18:23
The club have put out the following press release

"It is with great sadness that Somerset County Cricket Club announce that our Chairman, Charles Clark has passed away.

Charles began serving on the Committee in 2010 and became Chairman of the Club in January 2018.

A life-long Somerset supporter, Charles commented that his appointment to the role of Chairman was “a dream post”. During that same speech he also recounted his first visit to Taunton to watch Somerset play.

“My father was an auctioneer in Taunton Market, and he brought me across to my first ever game in July 1967,” he said. “We were playing Pakistan that day. That year my Grandfather gave me my first ever Wisden and I have got every year since then."

Following Charles’ sad passing, Somerset CCC CEO, Andrew Cornish said: “In the short time that I knew Charles I found him to be a man of great integrity. His passion for Somerset cricket was second to none and his enthusiasm for the Club was infectious. He also took a huge amount of pride in his work.

“Even as his health faltered, his love for the Club remained undiminished. We are all so pleased that Charles was able to be at Lord’s to see the Club that he loved lift the Royal London One-Day Cup on that fabulous day.

“The thoughts of everyone at the Club are with his wife Rebecca and his entire family at this sad time.”

Somerset President, Brian Rose said: “I knew Charles for a long time, and he was a Somerset man through and through. He took a huge interest in every element of the Club, from the progress of the Academy players all the way through to the development of the Cooper Associates County Ground.

“Charles was of the opinion that Somerset was the best club in the country, and he made it his mission to convince everyone that he met that this was the case. He took his role very seriously and took huge pride in how the County Club was helping to develop the game from grass roots level through to the International arena. Somerset matches won’t be quite the same without him.”

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 21 June, 2019 20:49
Rebecca Pow's tribute to late husband [www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk]

hantssabre 27 June, 2019 16:19
A nice tribute from Hampshire CC

[www.ageasbowl.com]

AGod 27 June, 2019 19:29
Well done, Hants.

Phantom 28 June, 2019 11:02
Quote:
hantssabre
A nice tribute from Hampshire CC
[www.ageasbowl.com]

Thank you for sharing the link
Really nice tribute from Hants
RIP

Roger ivanhoe 28 June, 2019 17:01
A Memorial Service for Charles Clark will be held at Kings College Chapel, Taunton on Thursday 11th July at 1:00 pm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net