Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Maharaj signs for Yorkshire
Discussion started by Des Platt , 28 June, 2019 18:31
Maharaj signs for Yorkshire
Des Platt 28 June, 2019 18:31
[www.yorkshireccc.com]

Bearing in mind his impact at Taunton last year, was rather worried when I saw this. However, looks like he won’t be around for the Taunton game and although he is available at Headingley for the game in a couple of weeks, I don’t think he was particularly effective for Lancs there last season in the game after Taunton.

I hate these short term signings as I think they erode team identity and the integrity of the Championship; however, hope this one stays short term.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/06/2019 18:37 by Des Platt.

Re: Maharaj signs for Yorkshire
AGod 28 June, 2019 19:43
I can’t imagine that our batsmen will be looking forward to renewing acquaintances with him.

Somerset LaLaLa 28 June, 2019 19:52
Yorkshire still keen for a spinner then. Are they touting for Dom any more?

Des Platt 09 July, 2019 00:16
Rather damned by faint praise in this article

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Maharaj himself described himself as a bowler who doesn’t vary it much .I think both he and David Hopps may be being a bit harsh on him. Although it looks like little variation from the spectator viewpoint, he seems to have the ability to get batsmen to play back to a flatter quicker delivery and make even a batsmen as good as Hildreth look silly as he is castled. Somerset batsmen weren’t the only ones tricked in his three match spell last year but nevertheless, apart from Taunton he was manageable and I’m hopeful he will be at Headingley.

AGod 09 July, 2019 07:45
Headingley usually seems to take some turn these days.

But the chances of it turning as much as the Taunton track vs Lancs are probably slim to none.

Des Platt 15 July, 2019 13:40
Quote:
AGod
I can’t imagine that our batsmen will be looking forward to renewing acquaintances with him.

Looks like you were right sadly. Haven’t seen any of this morning to know whether it has been turn or been his arm ball.

mikeindex 15 July, 2019 15:18
Hildreth and Bess were definitely the arm ball.

AGod 15 July, 2019 15:26
It is, of course, the combination of the two, since the latter would be useless without the treat of the former. Per the commentary, he's been bowling a lot of his stock ball, pitching just outside off and turning away, and then mixing in a fired-in arm-ball and our guys seem to have no real ability to pick said arm-ball.

Grockle 15 July, 2019 18:46
Do many others in the county system as it presently stands with the supposed regulations about spinning pitches (although they only presently seem to relate to Taunton as far as I can see)

(Sm72)

AGod 15 July, 2019 20:11
I don't know. All I know is that KM has had a field day with the ball, thus far, in two games against us but didn't seem to go that well in the other two games that he's played for Yorkshire, in this stint (although made lots of runs in the second innings of one of the games).

However, we have managed to go better in the second innings against him, thus far, than in the first, so maybe we've managed to take something from innings one, and apply it to innings two.

Des Platt 15 July, 2019 20:41
Quote:
AGod

However, we have managed to go better in the second innings against him, thus far, than in the first, so maybe we've managed to take something from innings one, and apply it to innings two.

Hope so as there is worrying talk in the Cricket Paper this week that he might return for the last few games.

AGod 15 July, 2019 20:51
The talk on the radio was that, as one might expect, it depends on a negotiation with CSA. Apparently, SA have new cricket management and it's considered probable that they will want to run the rule over all of their options in September, apparently. So we'll see.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net