Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 12
A welcome outbreak of the runs v. Hants. ?
Discussion started by Grizzzly , 29 June, 2019 15:17
A welcome outbreak of the runs v. Hants. ?
Grizzzly 29 June, 2019 15:17
Let’s hope we get our batting form back for this hugely important game.

I see Craig is still missing from the squad announced on the main site, which is a real shame as I thought the noises being made were suggesting he was recovering well and expected to be back.

Still, we have masses of bowling talent and both Josh and Dom Bess are in the thirteen named.

Noting the good weather forecast and on the assumption that we’re expecting the wicket to spin, I assume both Dom and Jack Leach will play.

The batting remains the bigger concern and Az. must be fortunate indeed not to be ‘rested’ given his recent struggles.There is no mention of changes in the batting order but I’d so like to see James and Tom A. back at 4 & 5 respectively. I know that would mean Tom B. opening and George at number three, but to me it’s worth the risk. Let’s face it, they don’t have much to beat !

In addition, hopefully James, Tom A and Steve D. will show what they are capable of with the bat.

1) Az.
2) Tom B.
3) George
4) James
5) Tom A.
6) Steve D.
7) Lewis
8) Dom
9) Jove
10) Jack L.
11) Jack B.

If we’re not expecting much spin, then Josh or TG instead of Dom. I’d likely go for Josh as notwithstanding his sparse return of wickets this season, he is the better bat.

And let’s face it, an outbreak of the runs would be most welcome.

Grizzzly

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2019 07:51 by Grockle.

Re: A welcome outbreak of the runs v. Hants. ?
Mike TA1 29 June, 2019 15:31
Hampshire players are on the outfield in the nets.

nelliec 29 June, 2019 15:57
Could be a bit unfair to go for Brooke’s ahead of Groenswald after his 5 for....but can you trust Jamie with a new ball.I do agree with Grizzlys batting line up,although would quite like Gregory to bat above Davies,to give him more time to build an innings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2019 16:00 by nelliec.

cricketjerry-mouse 29 June, 2019 16:11
Hampshire have added all-rounder Ian Holland, who was out on loan earlier this season, and opening bat Oliver Soames to the XI who fared even more dismally than Somerset against Essex in their last outing.

Re: Marcus Trescothick
nelliec 29 June, 2019 15:04
Same side tomorrow roughly .Craig not fit so only change could be in the bowling department.Gregory ,Jamie and Leach plus 2 from 4 from Bess,Groenswald,Brooke’s and Davey

Roger ivanhoe 29 June, 2019 18:43
Full Hampshire Squad:

Kyle Abbott (11)

Sam Northeast (17) Captain

Tom Alsop (9)

Rilee Rossouw (30)

James Fuller (26)

Joe Weatherley (5)

Ajinkya Rahane (6)

Fidel Edwards (20)

Ian Holland (22)

Aneurin Donald (12)

Keith Barker (10)

Mason Crane (32)

Oli Soames (27)

AGod 29 June, 2019 21:20
TG rather than Brooks. More consistent and reliable.

nelliec 30 June, 2019 08:39
Cloudy in TA1 this morning with the sun due to break out lunchtime. Definitely a bat first day but if we are in the field could still be something in it for the first two hours.

nelliec 30 June, 2019 10:35
Win the toss and bat

Scrumper 30 June, 2019 10:47
Bess in for Brooks.

AGod 30 June, 2019 11:04
Win toss, bat. Jason has got the bowling part of the selection right, I feel, as - sans Cove - this is our strongest possible bowling permutation.

Don’t believe that continuing with Azhar is at all wise, however.

AGod 30 June, 2019 11:07
I see Notts have Ravi Ashwin vs Essex, so maybe they’ll be marginally less useless than usual?

Somerset LaLaLa 30 June, 2019 11:18
Really important toss to win in the context of the season. Jack and Dom are ready for action later

AGod 30 June, 2019 11:25
Stuck on train so not able to watch. Is it flat, so far, I assume?

AGod 30 June, 2019 11:28
Managed to get feed to work and Azhar out to the first ball I saw. Sorry, but this abject stubbornness of team selection cannot and must not continue.

Somerset LaLaLa 30 June, 2019 11:35
It does seem rather predictable

AGod 30 June, 2019 12:08
I fail to see the logical difference as to why Azhar should be treated differently to MT?

Or is it that we’re happy to admit one mistake but can’t face admitting a second?

AGod 30 June, 2019 12:11
Praise be! Mullaney going nicely for Notts.

Nailsea_Fizz 30 June, 2019 12:15
Quote:
Somerset LaLaLa
It does seem rather predictable

In more ways than one !!

Grockle 30 June, 2019 12:23
It is a crazy way of operating the 'one rule for you' business. You would have expected them to stay with Banger and send Azhar on a form finding mission instead.

What is the value of doing this? It isn't happening so 'change is as good as a rest' comes to mind.

(Sm72)

AGod 30 June, 2019 12:42
Logically, one would expect the club’s position to be either:

A) Both proven Test players. So we stick by them. Both stay in team.

cool smiley ‘We don’t care what your name is or what you’ve done in the past, it’s all about production in the here and now. Neither stay in team.

Both, sadly, have been looking like walking wickets. But if, for some reason, one of the two must play, it would arguably make more sense for that man to be Marcus. Not for sentimental reasons, but because his slip and short-leg catching remains an asset.

Nailsea_Fizz 30 June, 2019 13:07
Azhar gets a county cap?

AGod 30 June, 2019 13:08
Still. Good morning. Sound platform, on which we must capitalise in the second session. Essex not having things particularly their way at T Bridge, so I’d like us to be greedy with batting bonus points in this innings.

sandhills 30 June, 2019 13:18
Im told he averages around 10. Does it make the Somerset Cap worthless!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2019 14:09 by sandhills.

AGod 30 June, 2019 13:28
Well, I suppose it’s awarded on an all comps basis, not just red ball. The timing of the award is, perhaps, a trifle unfortunate.

Rod1883 30 June, 2019 13:37
I imagine AG (12.42) that Tres was big enough to admit his poor performance by his magnificent standards and, probably, with Somerset in his heart didn't want to let anyone down.
I'm not saying Azhar isn't or wouldn't admit his form isn't great but, perhaps, he would be less determined to step down because of it?
I think that also to drop both would have created more of a hole at the top and finding two new openers harder than one, so maybe the management thought it best to allow Tres to try to find form in the twos, and to persevere with Azhar, although I imagine patience will wear thin at some point.

As I said the Marcus thread, perhaps his retirement decision was weighing heavily and now it is made he will come back with renewed vigour soon.

AGod 30 June, 2019 13:46
Perhaps. We seem obsessed with the idea, this year, that the experienced guys must face the new ball. We didn’t have that obsession last year because George was at 3 for a while and did quite well. So I don’t really know where the obsession has come from, nor why?

Somerset LaLaLa 30 June, 2019 14:07
Short video of the pitch on the twitter feed. Good PR that we are confident in the pitch preparation

cricketjerry-mouse 30 June, 2019 14:35
Somerset are currently 150-1 in 40 overs, and still virtually every posters on this thread is setting a negative agenda. What a miserable crowd you are.

I don`t expect you`ve noticed that James Hildreth, another player not flavour of the month here recently, has just reached both 100 in this match and 500 county championship runs for the season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2019 14:43 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Nailsea_Fizz 30 June, 2019 14:39
Indeed, meanwhile the batting master class goes on in the sunshine

Oh and as he's batting at 3, we are saved that particular moan for today at least.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2019 15:07 by Nailsea_Fizz.

Current Page: 1 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net