Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
White Rose pruned?
Discussion started by cricketjerry-mouse , 10 July, 2019 13:38
White Rose pruned?
cricketjerry-mouse 10 July, 2019 13:38
Yorkshire opening bowler Ben Coad is doubtful for Saturday`s championship match with Somerset at Headingly.

Coad, who has played in every match this season and taken 33 wickets at 25.85, didn`t field against Essex yesterday because of a sore calf. He will have a scan ahead of the match.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2019 21:44 by Grockle.

Re: White Rose pruned?
AGod 10 July, 2019 19:36
Would be a huge miss for them and somewhat even out the LG loss.

With them having Maharaj and us not having Leachy, might they go dry turner? Paging Roelof, if so?

wsm fan 10 July, 2019 19:46
TA AA JH TB GB SD DB CO JO JD JB

AGod 10 July, 2019 21:47
It's going to be absolutely imperative that Jamie is right on it, WSM. And Dom too.

Because the rest of that attack is one guy (Craig) who will, no doubt, take a bit of time to settle back into a rhythm/to get back to his best, after injury, one guy (Jack cool smiley who hasn't played the last two games and played poorly at Chelmsford, so his last decent game was five weeks ago, in Surrey and another guy, Josh (if that's the team), who has not been penetrative this season.

So it might not *quite* be the unit, in terms of consistently being at the batsman that it has been for most of this season.

I do think that they might decide to go turning track, though (Yorks). If I were us, I'd definitely take Roelof up there with us, just in case.

nelliec 10 July, 2019 22:09
According to the weather rain and showery all day saturday so might be worth a bowl first gamble if that's the case. Probably the square will be covered thursday and Friday.
Sun ,mon and tues looks fine

Somerset LaLaLa 10 July, 2019 22:41
I like the choice of words "bowl first gamble", why would we risk anything on such an important game?

Realistically Yorkshire are only playing for pride now, but seemed to have underperformed a few times this season. I could see the pitch being a turner for no other reason than to let Dom have a few wickets in front the Headingley faithful.

Yorkshire have a pretty good record of winning the toss of late. It's good to see Azhar getting into the runs, but I'm still needing to cross a few fingers for our batting on this one.

The Overtons will be rampant, ahead of the Ashes, which should decide it.

Predictions - Somerset win (complete and utter thrashing), Essex win

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 13:13 by Somerset LaLaLa.

cricketjerry-mouse 10 July, 2019 23:42
What nobody has mentioned yet is that the Yorkshire ground staff have had no control over the type of wicket at Headingley since late April.

All wickets at World Cup grounds have been the responsibility of the ICC, in some cases through their own staff, in others through instructions to local ground staff.

As recently as last Saturday, when India beat Sri Lanka, the Leeds track was prepared by the ICC. The general consensus is that it has favoured the Asian nations - turning, but not hugely, and tending towards the ball coming onto the bat slowly.

Somerset need to keep this in mind when selecting their XI.

Scrumper 11 July, 2019 00:24
The wildcard selection is Marcus.

AGod 11 July, 2019 08:00
Hmmmm... interesting, CJM

Tracks at Edgbaston have been turning square in the CC and I assumed this was no accident with Warks having 878347328943749832749847 fast bowler injuries and a star spinner, in Jeetan Patel.

Still, if the track is likely to be as you say, then let's get Roelof in. We want the option to turn the ball away from both RHB and LHB. And no, if it's just slow turn, I don't think Az will be sufficient..

sandhills 11 July, 2019 08:22
Dom signs for the Tykes

Rod1883 11 July, 2019 08:46
Quote:
sandhills
Dom signs for the Tykes
For the T20 a I understand it.
Very odd timing I feel, just as we are about to play them in the CC. Risks affecting Dom's performance in this weekends game I fear, if only subconsciously.

Grockle 11 July, 2019 10:15
It does seem strange - obviously is not in Somerset's plans for the white ball. This may be important in Dom's plans for his future. If he is looking for a significant white ball future then he needs some high profile games this summer so he becomes a factor in any 100 draft.

It may not go the way he wants but if he is significant in Yorkshire's campaign then I have doubts he will be at Taunton next year. Another factor in the end of this year's plans I assume.

(Sm72)

Grockle 11 July, 2019 10:24
I've noticed a very clever named thread on this issue so can I suggest that if anyone wants to talk more about the specific Dom issue they discuss it there and we leave this one for the game.

It probably deserves its own thread as it may be an issue with more than Mr Bess.

(Sm72)

nelliec 11 July, 2019 11:09
Sam Hain has been added to the lions squad in place of Ben Duckett.That means Warks will have no Siblley or Hain against Essex.

Rod1883 11 July, 2019 11:27
ECB doing their best to thwart us it seems.

Bagpuss 11 July, 2019 12:36
I guess its our own fault for breaking Duckett at Taunton this week

Des Platt 12 July, 2019 00:58
None of Yorkshire second-team making an unanswerable case to be included against Somerset. I could be doing him a disservice but I don’t think Somerset will fear Leaning’s four for eight in the first innings.

[live.nvplay.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 01:02 by Des Platt.

Grizzzly 12 July, 2019 14:29
SCCC site reports RvdM and Josh are included in a thirteen man squad travelling to Yorks.. Cove and Dom also.

Grizzzly

AGod 12 July, 2019 14:31
Good to see VDM in party ... very sensible.

AGod 12 July, 2019 16:13
Bottom line?

English county players couldn't play a turning ball, if their lives depended on it....

The one thing they can deal with relatively easily (unless swinging/seaming everywhere) is medium pace and medium-fast stuff.

So... if track likely to turn, even a little then *unless* expected to swing/seam prodigiously, then better to play two spinners, IMO, whenever possible.

nelliec 12 July, 2019 19:17
Rain forecast on and off all day tomorrow.A good day to bowll or bat ? Tricky decision

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 19:18 by nelliec.

Farmer White 12 July, 2019 19:53
News from the front.

BBC prediction: light showers forecast all afternoon tomorrow (10-29% chance of

'precipitation').

Met Office prediction: cloudy all day. (5-10% chance of 'precipitation')

Accuweather prediction: 'times of clouds and sun'

Head out of the window: Just finished a heavy shower. Prediction: 0-100% chance of precipitation.

You may safely put money on my prediction. As to the others ...

Farmer

Rod1883 12 July, 2019 21:49
The Norwegians say rain between 08.00 and 10.00, then showers between 13.00 and 16.00 and light rain between 17.00 and 18.00, heavy rain for a couple of hours thereafter. Sunday - light showers 11.00 - 12.00 and 13.00 to 14.00.

Saturday certainly looks to be an inyterrupted day - best to bowl first and make he most of cloud cover, interruptions to batsmens concentration, rest periods for bowlers?
Norwegian forecast:
[www.yr.no]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 22:20 by Rod1883.

Bobstan 12 July, 2019 22:19
I've told you before. Ignore these Norwegians; they know next to nothing.

Grockle 12 July, 2019 22:38
Trump likes Norway.

(Sm72)

Scrumper 13 July, 2019 00:46
http://www.funnysigns.net/files/weather-stone.jpg

AGod 13 July, 2019 08:01
Looks like we might be screwed by the weather in this round?

Chelmsford will get four dry days (though Essex will only need about 2.5).

And looks like today might be heavily interrupted? If so, and track flat?

Would be tough to win, one imagines.

Farmer White 13 July, 2019 08:18
The stone is dry and casting no shadow at present - neither is there any sign it might cast one.

Farmer

Mike TA1 13 July, 2019 08:27
Be positive claps, we won against Kent have lost the first day due to rain.

Somerset could win anything they set their minds too.

AGod 13 July, 2019 08:33
Kent track seamed alarmingly, Mike.

Sure, if the track here does the same, the game won't need four dry days - certainly not.

I read that tracks in Leeds have, generally, been slow turners of late, not tracks that seam all over the shop.

Having said that, we did also win the home game vs Kent in 3 days, but that too was a track that favoured the pacemen.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net