Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: The Hundred
Rod1883 17 July, 2019 08:03
Similar story AG - yesterday early evening the barman at our local enthusing about the best cricket match ever and he was glued to the tv all day (his day off) on Sunday. He is a cricket fan though.
We then went on to discuss the nonsense of the 100, the downgrading of the 50 over comp next year - all to two or three other chaps in the pub nodding along in agreement.

Nailsea_Fizz 17 July, 2019 11:14
The trouble is we all know deep down that non international 50 over cricket is very rarely as incident pack and exciting as the W C final.

Agod's barman will soon be back to his other summer persuits after a few dull onsided 50 over games

Grockle 17 July, 2019 11:41
It's better than it was. I was very anti the move back to 50. I've been converted by the batting scores nowadays. 50 overs gives you that middle 10 overs to regroup if things go wrong. Get the 'press' working or regroup the vatting for a last 10 onslaught to get a cometitive total.

Good sides playing good sides in whatever format is going to provide a spectacle. It's why I don't particularly like the IPL. For all the sensational players there is the drafted in 'club cricketer' as well.

(Sm72)

Nailsea_Fizz 17 July, 2019 11:53
I really can't see that domestic cricket on the TV for 7 hrs will keep new comers transfixed. Maybe a specific free to air digital channel where you can watch it at your convenience or maybe a football type highlights package on a regular basis for T20 and 50 ober

Following on 17 July, 2019 14:18
For the record, I wouldn't cross the road to watch the new Hundred.

Domestic T20 appears to be going from strength to strength, with attendances growing year on year. If T20 is seen as the entry level to attract new spectators, if you in effect remove 50 domestic cricket, it is a big ask to expect newbies to go from watching T20 to a day of Championship cricket or test cricket.

50 over cricket is a bridge between the two, and it is being dismantled.

AGod 17 July, 2019 14:30
Most folks don’t seem to have patience for anything any more. It’s easy to see that, as NF said, most newcomers are unlikely to be enthralled with 7 hours of domestic 50 over cricket. However, I’m far from convinced that a 100 ball per side encounter is going to hold attentions for long enough, either. That’s still going to take, what, an absolute minimum of 2 hours, even if no innings break? And I assume it will actually be a minimum of 2.5 hours.

Grizzers 17 July, 2019 15:03
It's a pity that someone as respected as Andrew Strauss is advocating strongly for the hideous Hundred.

I don't think there are many cricket fans who think anything good about Messrs. Graves & Harrison etc., but AS is a different kettle of fish.

Meantime, just found this on a 'Lancashire Action Group' on Twitter, which at first glance looks like it could be significant news:

"All 18 Counties have agreed to set up an independent board away from the @ECB_cricket. Great news in giving all counties a voice. Also interesting that the MCC are chairing the new board who have a history of tension with the @ECB_cricket"

Grizzzly

Loyal of Lhasa 17 July, 2019 15:10
Is there any evidence for Lavender being a force for good behind the scene?

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grizzers 17 July, 2019 15:23
It would be nice to think so LoL.

There's an article in the Times, but unfortunately I can't read it as I've read my two free for the week !

Here's the link, if someone wants to have a go:

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Grizzzly

AGod 17 July, 2019 16:17
Grizz - Strauss bent his knee to the ECB shilling a long-time ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2019 16:28 by AGod.

hantssabre 17 July, 2019 16:21
This is what it says but unfortunately no control over the Hundred

“The first-class counties have moved set up a Professional Game Board to give them greater control of county cricket in a major change to the sport’s governance that could create further conflict with the ECB.

The new body, which will meet for the first time in October under the chairmanship of the MCC, was approved at a meeting of all 18 county chief executives at Trent Bridge yesterday.

The creation of the Professional Game Board is not a breakaway from or challenge to the authority of the governing body, but an attempt to give a greater voice to the county clubs, many of whom have felt emasculated since the ECB created its own independent board two years ago.

The new board, which will feature broad representation from the counties, will meet to discuss issues pertaining to the county game specifically before passing resolutions to pass on to the main ECB board for ratification.

If the ECB refuses to ratify its decisions, over such matters as county scheduling, the future of the 50-over One Day Cup and the numbers of overseas players to be fielded by each county, that could lead to further conflict. The ECB may also be unhappy that the MCC will chair the new board, as there is a history of tension between the game’s two main powerbrokers at Lord’s.

The Professional Game Board will not have any influence over the controversial new Hundred competition, which has its own board under the jurisdiction of the ECB. The county executive held positive talks about the Hundred yesterday, which will continue today.”

Grizzers 17 July, 2019 17:01
Thanks hants.

Relatively encouraging overall,................ apart from the last paragraph !

Grizzzly

somexile 17 July, 2019 17:42
What the ECB have not catered for is that all the youngsters who watched the final on Sunday and who want to watch the England players again either live or on TV will either need to be in a household with Sky Tv or live near enough and be able to afford tickets for the Ashes but otherwise no chance of seeing Buttler etc playing cricket again until next summer when they could see a 100 game but not live unless they lived in one of 7 cities.

By which time lots could have happened - England could win the rugby world cup and the enthusiasm for cricket will be relegated and forgotten.

Its all very well ECB say they are putting money into schemes for schools but schools wont be playing cricket until next April and momentum lost

AGod 17 July, 2019 19:45
Agree entirely.

Bagpuss 18 July, 2019 07:58
A comment on the 'Madness' threw on our sister site MTWD from someone at Cardiff for their CC match; rumours that there is so little interest in the H*ndred in the 'Diff they may be including it with Glamorgan membership.

AGod 18 July, 2019 08:24
Hahahahaha

nelliec 18 July, 2019 11:01
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Graves latest plan seems to suggest the 50 over competition isn’t going to be downgraded but will be relaunched as a major spectacle.
Let me guess .At 8 test grounds with the best plAyers from the 18 counties,before the counties get downgraded.

AGod 18 July, 2019 11:15
Got it in one, Nellie C.

Graves making it up as he goes along.

Go away, Colin.

Grockle 18 July, 2019 11:37
It's the same plan just moved to a different format as the idea comes to the idiot. No thought about what this will mean for coverage over the whole country no concern for what it means to income streams of counties.

Where is the 2020 - 2025 plan for County Cricket? Is there such a thing?

'Central administration' has become an oxymoron for the morons of the ECB.

(Sm72)

Shepton Paul 2 18 July, 2019 11:55
I'd like to think the 2020-2025 plan for county cricket is, or will soon be, in the hands of the new Professional Game Board.

AGod 18 July, 2019 12:01
So would I.

Time to take the rug out from underneath one C Graves.

nelliec 18 July, 2019 12:45
The only problem I see with the Professional Game Board is that they are not meeting until October , so I'm sure Graves will do everything possible to have his player draft sorted out before anyone can do anything about it.

cricketharris 18 July, 2019 17:32
Don’t like to read that Taunton, Bristol etc is being referred to as “outgrounds” even if it is only by a newspaper and not, presumably, by the ECB.

Grockle 18 July, 2019 17:48
Well from the end of this season from an ECB view in white ball cricket they are I'm afraid CH. Championship cricket may last longer out of the 8 centres but I wouldn't put money on it past 2025.

It looks like graves has returned his gaze to 50 over cricket now he sees money in it. We may lose whatever that was going to be in 2020 if he has his way.

The Blast! is already surplus to requirements as far as the central authority is concerned. How long they expect to allow that to last who knows.

(Sm72)

Nailsea_Fizz 18 July, 2019 17:51
It appears a City based 50 over competition may be coming o er the Hill.

Grizzers 18 July, 2019 17:58
Let's hope not NF.

But if the ECB do come up with another pile of manure, surely the Counties wouldn't vote for it ? Turkey's wouldn't vote for Christmas twice.

Would they........?!

Grizzzly

Grockle 18 July, 2019 18:25
They have probably already voted away extensions of the scheme in the small print

(Sm72)

AGod 18 July, 2019 18:32
Problem is Grizz:

1) It’s rational for TMCs to vote for it.

2) It’s semi-rational for the likes of Leics, Derbys and Northants to vote for it, as they rely entirely on the ECB for survival.

3) That’s all the votes they need.

Grockle 18 July, 2019 18:35
I fail to see how in a second round of changes there is any 'semi-rational' reason for counties to choose 'survival' under a regime that wants shot of them when that is the one thing the ECB does NOT want.

The counties have to organise and fight this wholesale dismantling of the national aspect of cricket.

(Sm72)

mikeindex 18 July, 2019 18:43
Quote:
Bagpuss
A comment on the 'Madness' threw on our sister site MTWD from someone at Cardiff for their CC match; rumours that there is so little interest in the H*ndred in the 'Diff they may be including it with Glamorgan membership.

Is the 'Madness' threw (?thread) something about the concert in Vivary Park last week?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net