Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: The Hundred
Shepton Paul 2 18 July, 2019 18:47
It's an embarrassment.

AGod 18 July, 2019 19:08
Grockle - if the ECB pulls the plug, those places fold tomorrow.

If they tow the line? They get to survive a bit longer. Yes, they’ll be second-class citizens but they’ve long since become feeder clubs anyway.

Why do you imagine those clubs voted for all of this in the first place?

Grockle 18 July, 2019 19:58
If the ECB has its way they fold period. They either get involved in something with those less ready to fold 'tomorrow' or we all fold.

United we stand and … well you know the rest.

There's no future in buddying up with the ECB.

You tell them what to do AG. I'm sure they will be all ears.

(Sm72)

AGod 18 July, 2019 20:14
I’m not saying that’s what I’d do if I were them. But there is an element of ‘damned if they do, damned if they don’t,’ where they are concerned.

If there were more counties in the sand sort of financial boat as us, Sussex, Essex, Worcs and Kent then there’d have been more chance of standing up to this in the first place.

Anyway, as you just said yourself, they’ve probably signed away extensions and variations in the smallprint of what they’ve already agreed to anyway.

Somerset LaLaLa 19 July, 2019 16:35
Some interesting comments, does anyone in the universe (apart from those with their hands in the pie) like this competition:

[twitter.com]

wsm fan 19 July, 2019 17:03
Actually mad that each club will only have 5 home T20s next year instead of 7 all because of ‘ The 100’. Actually Crazy

Completely unsubstantiated comment on twitter this afternoon.
Nothing would surprise me despite us having been assured the blast would be unaffected & only the 50 over would clash with this trash.

I said a few weeks ago we are yet to find out the half of the full effects of this rubbish.
Training weeks, extra injury subs, losing Kerr Thorpe Trait etc. Nothing at all will surprise me next.

We best win the treble this season as it really coulfld be the last credible season of county cricket.
Champo non uniform from next season.
50 comp no overseas and minus 100 of the best county players.
Blast played in May June with clearly less importance, lesser overseas stars & rumours of reduced home matches......

AGod 20 July, 2019 05:34
Yep. It’s now or never. This is the final season of proper cricket so *must* win the CC.

I do wonder what will happen with Cardiff, when they realise that almost nobody in Wales actually likes cricket..

Grockle 20 July, 2019 05:38
What was the crowd like at Cardiff on Thursday?

(Sm72)

wsm fan 20 July, 2019 07:11
Mu guess is around 4000.

Apparently radio reported 7000 but absolutely no chance.

If it holds 15,000 it was 100% NOT 1/3 full so my guess would be 4,000, maybe 4500 tops and a good 20/30%+ of that was Sonerset fans too!

Grockle 20 July, 2019 08:08
Thought that would be about it. I don't expect a flood of Berry coaches up there next year for 'Fire' matches so they need to find at least 1/3 of the present audience from those new supplies of desperate '100' fans

(Sm72)

wsm fan 20 July, 2019 09:18
There are rumours they are already fearing nobody will turn up.to Cardiff for the 100.
So much so they are thinking about offering 100 membership to the Welsh Fire for FREE to all Glamorgan members!

AGod 20 July, 2019 09:32
And it won't be an "offer," that they are permitted to decline!

Somerset LaLaLa 20 July, 2019 09:33
Count me out, sorry guys, I'd rather go and watch some cricket. Just letting you know in advance, don't want anyone throwing away all their time, huge amounts of money, their careers etc on a dead horse

Rod1883 20 July, 2019 10:02
Exactly AG - all members will be counted as attending whether they do or not, to make the figures look good.

Clarence Parker 20 July, 2019 10:32
In view of the Women's Test between England and Australia currently being played at Taunton, should we not be classified as a TMC?

Roger ivanhoe 20 July, 2019 13:42
If the 100 is under the control of the ECB, how will any participating Club be able to offer as part of their Club membership.
The entrance fees will be control by the ECB, as will the majority of other conditions and they (ECcool smiley will want as much income possible to have ANY HOPE of making it work.

Glamorgan have had enough special favours over the past years it would totally wrong to allow them to smudge attendance by using false figures.

Grockle 20 July, 2019 13:52
They may not be able to offer membership as part of a deal but because the grounds have the right to identify 2 players for the 100 squad from the local county squad they can theoretically offer players '100 enhanced' contracts for next year with the county playing terms being added to by a guaranteed berth in the local 100 franchise squad as well.

I don't know if that relates to Birmingham alone for example or if they are offering 2 berths to Worcestershire as well.... Depends who is 'linked' to who if they have thought that through. Does that mean that we have 2 berths in the 'Fire' squad along with 'Gloucestershire'?

Who knows... or cares to be honest (though it might keep people here I suppose to farm them out - lesser of two evils in the case of some - Dom for example?)

(Sm72)

Re: The 'Hundred' Draft - what might it look like?
Grizzers 20 July, 2019 17:48
As Bagpuss highlghts on another thread, this whole fiasco has the feeling of a very unwelcome festering boil.

Sooner (preferably) or later, it is going to burst.

The only debate is what collateral damage is done to domestic cricket whilst it continues to grow meantime.

And what mess will be left after it finally decays and dies.

Grizzzly

Re: The 'Hundred' Draft - what might it look like?
Grockle 20 July, 2019 18:24
I'm going to close this thread down and ask you to move your musings to Part 2 so the mobile users can keep going. It seemed a good time to put the draft stuff in but the discussion needs to move as the thresd develpps and gets too big.

(Sm72)

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net