Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Blast! Essex
Grockle 07 August, 2019 20:19
Max just does it, especially when Tom Abell is on song close fielding. Mis-stumping next ball?

(Sm72)

Botham 07 August, 2019 20:27
Brilliant performance and result significantly boosting NRR. I guess tomorrow will be 1 point each.

hantssabre 07 August, 2019 20:28
Excellent win. Friday probably a washout

AGod 07 August, 2019 20:29
Well, we finally made one change to the bowling line-up, though it would appear that the batting effort today produced a total that was wildly over par?

Nailsea_Fizz 07 August, 2019 20:35
The one bowling change making no difference.

AGod 07 August, 2019 20:47
TG seemed to do okay, but Essex looked so overwhelmed with the chase that, yeah, it probably made little difference.

hantssabre 07 August, 2019 20:48
Maybe England prevented Jove playing because they want him to replace the injured Stone in the Ashes squad!

Old Boy! 07 August, 2019 20:56
Well that proves our bowlers for the next matches should be Waller, van de Merve, Leach and a couple of youngsters who can bowl spinners!
Old Boy!

Grizzers 07 August, 2019 21:05
Well, that was comprehensive.

Didn't see our innings, so looking forward to watching the video clips.

Grizzzly

AGod 07 August, 2019 21:07
Quote:
Scrumper
Eddie "baseball" Bryom certainly hits it well but I think clever bowlers would have him on toast.
Anyway if we lose this we need shooting, the lighting isn't a patch on Taunton.

M Amir is not exactly a novice, however!

Loyal of Lhasa 07 August, 2019 21:07
Get behind the sofa, Grizzzly: some of those young Somerset batsman could cause you serious damage.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

wsm fan 07 August, 2019 21:09
Old boy do you realise RVDM went for nearly 11 an over!
Can't see how such a rate warrants selection again.

Scrumper 07 August, 2019 21:34
Ackermann beats Arul's record with 7-18!

Bagpuss 07 August, 2019 21:39
Essex are going to have to find better spinners than Zampa and Harmer too.

Grockle 07 August, 2019 21:47
RvdM did but he took 5 putting it there. But we still aren't tight. Max did well as he does throwing the ball up and bowling suprised batsmen.

If you can't bowl them for small totals, smash them to bits. We really do that now. Banton and Byrom are simply murdering anything loose while Babar just picks his spot.

Our bowling is immaterial if you score 220/230 against fragile opposition. Essex were simply blown away. I wonder if we can do it to Kent who are a bit delicate at the moment it seems.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 21:48 by Grockle.

Grizzers 07 August, 2019 21:49
Having viewed those video clips, I'm now convinced that Eddie has successfully completed his metamorphosis into a clone of the genuis that is Tom Banton !

Grizzzly

AGod 08 August, 2019 04:52
It does make one wonder how, exactly, it was that Eddie wasn’t in from the start.

AGod 08 August, 2019 04:58
I don’t follow your Kent comment (“delicate”) Grockle?

They lie second. And if there’s one opponent against whom they will feel confident in this format, it’s Somerset, as they’ve beaten us something like 15 times in a row, since 2011.

Batting first and putting a massive score on the board is certainly one way to overcome an habitually leaky bowling unit. But, as we saw Vs Middx, batting second - after the oppo have done the smashing - isn’t so easy.

On good batting surfaces then our fate, most weeks, may come down to whether or not we can win the toss, bat first, and bat the oppo out of it, or whether we lose the toss and watch the oppo bat us out of it.

Grockle 08 August, 2019 06:26
They didn't beat Glos. So they are beatable.

I didn't say batting was the solution just we are occasionally good at it. I don't care if they are second, they have a fragility as we do. You think they are wonderful? OK. We can beat or lose to 'wonderful' and 'wonderful' can beat or lose to us.

Just willing to see how the chips fall rather than decide results on the basis of past events because past events don't decide future results no matter how pedantically you analyse them.

(Sm72)

AGod 08 August, 2019 06:33
No, I don't think they are "wonderful." But I don't think they'll be feeling remotely delicate or vulnerable against us, given the recent history between us (any more than we would be in a CC match vs Notts, for example).

Maybe we'll play brilliantly to overcome that, or maybe they'll have a real off-night.

We shall see..

geordie moonraker 08 August, 2019 06:54
I would always rather bat first unless the weather is so iffy that there will be a truncated chase. Scoreboard pressure works. You chase 220, have 3 good overs and you are 30 for 0 and find the run rate has increased. 9 times out of 10 you will collapse. Excellent stuff yesterday, even James didn't waste time!!

Angell Face 08 August, 2019 06:58
I don't know who wrote the report of the match on the Club website but can someone explain to me what "caught by a howitzer of a snaffle" means?

Old Boy! 08 August, 2019 07:11
WSM
My post was partly tougue in cheek but regarding VDM I think his figures over the whole season so far will support my contention that it is slower spinners that win most matches!
Old Boy!

Mike TA1 08 August, 2019 07:13
I haven't read the report but my interpretation of those two words are.

Howitzer – Something very fast.
Snaffle – couldn't do anything with it.

It would be good to hear others interpretation of those two words.

AGod 08 August, 2019 07:24
If you snaffle something, Mike, then you grab it.

A howitzer is a weapon, a sort of gun, but, as you say, it was used here simply to mean the ball travelling very quickly (as if it had been fired from a howitzer).

The usage on the website is confused. “An amazing snaffle of a ball travelling as if fired from a howitzer,” would have been accurate (at least in terms of the English).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 07:25 by AGod.

Wickham 08 August, 2019 07:25
I think that the author is auditioning for a role as reporter for the Hundred, AF.

Mike TA1 08 August, 2019 07:56
Yes AG your version of the word Snaffle sounds more plausible.

cricketjerry-mouse 08 August, 2019 08:29
On your contention that it is the slower type of spinner who wins T20 matches, Old Boy , this may well be right in general but it certainly doesn`t hold true for the two most recent world record breakers.

I often thought Arul Suppiah (6-5 against Glamorgan in 2011) should have been classed as a medium-pacer. And if you have seen Leicestershire`s Colin Ackermann bowl (7-18, including six in two overs, against some team called Birmingham Bears yesterday), you will have spotted he sends down his off-spinners at a fair old lick.

Grockle 08 August, 2019 08:36
Ref RvdM. I've posted before about the fact that he probably understands this format more than any other player we have. Max sometimes gets it but his can be more via luck than judgement. There are times when I fhink we could do worse than give Reolof the skippers armband in T20. He just seems to 'get it'.

(Sm72)

AGod 08 August, 2019 10:23
I’m pretty sure that Old Boy meant spinners, in general - IOW bowlers that are slower than seamers are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 11:26 by AGod.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net