Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
PETER TREGO TO LEAVE AT THE END OF THE SEASON
Discussion started by martin , 29 August, 2019 14:10
PETER TREGO TO LEAVE AT THE END OF THE SEASON
martin 29 August, 2019 14:10

Re: PETER TREGO TO LEAVE AT THE END OF THE SEASON
hantssabre 29 August, 2019 14:16
A real shame and a great servant of the Club. Hope he finds another Club if that is what he wants but would reckon he will probably make a great coach. Good luck for the future

Mike TA1 29 August, 2019 14:46
Not unexpected news.

Peter is one of those nice people I have spoken too several times he is always truthful with is views,

Good luck for the future, I wonder if the media beckons.

hantssabre 29 August, 2019 14:52
It did cross my mind that Sky should make a move as he’d be far better than most of the pundits on there. Perhaps he’ll put in a guest appearance tomorrow night if he’s not actually playing.

Grockle 29 August, 2019 15:09
Is it really a 'shame' or a tribute to the man that he still wants to do something at the age of 38? It is a natural thing that people come to a point where they have to make decisions because of physical circumstances.

The man we know thinks he can do more and we can't provide the opportunities. He is what Somerset have made him and we ought to be proud of that.

I personally don't see this as a 'shame'. He leaves us as a better side for him having been here and he won't be forgotten for his contribution to that. But things move on and good luck Pete for looking for more opportunity than the side you have helped create can now offer you because you've made us better.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 29 August, 2019 15:23
There is a vacancy at Somerset County Cricket Club, now that would fun to see him doing that job. smiling smiley

Loyal of Lhasa 29 August, 2019 15:31
Sad news indeed, but it had to happen one day, I suppose. He will long be remember as the epitome of the spirit of Somerset cricket, a man who has never forgotten that a major role of sports people is to entertain - and he did that throughout his career. Perhaps he will enjoy two or three more years demonstrating his talent and his style with another county... I hope so, if that is what he wants.

Media people never seem to have got the hang of how to pronounce his name, but his departure from Somerset's ranks may bring about the end of the long-running altercation between Bobstan and me about how to spell it. I have generally preferred Treeeeeeeeeeeego,
but Bobstan, with his typically youthful enthusiasm, has always preferred
Treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeego

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/08/2019 15:54 by Loyal of Lhasa.

Bagpuss 29 August, 2019 15:39
Double Trexit. It's going to be a tearful end-of-season dinner.

Farmer White 29 August, 2019 15:42
At the start of the season I wrote a tribute to Peter Trego's red ball career, in particular some of my key memories of it, not least his part in Somerset's record 476 Championship run chase. The link below will take anyone interested straight to it.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

At the moment Peter Trego is one of only two residents of the legends section on my website. The other is Hallam Moseley. Not a bad pair to start with. I may add one or two more in the winter.

For the moment some memories of a Somerset career to treasure. A true Somerset man.

Farmer

hantssabre 29 August, 2019 15:44
Bagpuss - I can only dream of having your wit!

Loyal of Lhasa 29 August, 2019 15:51
A great Somerset TREO (sic): Trescothick, Trego and, not forgetting another hero, Tremlett.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bagpuss 29 August, 2019 15:51
LoL, Bobstan, Treeeeeeeeeegone 😢

hantssabre 29 August, 2019 15:54
I trust Gareth Batty will have tweeted him his good wishes!

Sloop John B 29 August, 2019 16:06
Someone has shaken the Somerset Scrabble box. A couple of T's have fallen out and several B's have come to the top 😂😂😂

Roger ivanhoe 29 August, 2019 16:38
Yes good luck to Peter, a crowd favorite and a nice guy on and off the field .
I am sure he has several options open to him in the future.

Not a surprise really the way selection has gone this season, I think we will see at least two further names on the departure list over the next couple of months.

Somerset LaLaLa 29 August, 2019 16:43
Hopefully not the end of his association with Somerset.

Going as RLODC winner with a nice contribution at Lords.

We HAVE to win the championship this year.

Legend

Bobstan 29 August, 2019 16:52
Thanks indeed to Peter for all the pleasure and enjoyment he has given us over the years. I imagine Tractor will miss him a great deal.

Treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegone - nearly.

Grockle 29 August, 2019 17:39
In relation to Gareth Batty. I think Trigger may still see the prospect of meeting him somewhere else in some other kit as a possibility in 2020. Always a fun prospect.

(Sm72)

Tom Seymour 29 August, 2019 19:34
To me, Peter will be missed more than Marcus because of his personality and the excitement that he gave us all.

He also had a great sense of social responsibility in that he summoned up a group of people via social media to tour the areas of Weston Super Mare on a freezing night just before Christmas to distribute hot soup and food to those who were sleeping rough. I hold that in as high esteem as some of his feats on the field of play.

This season he has been a professional for the Devon County Club. I am unsure as to how well he has performed for them, but I am sure that his very presence will have had a positive effect on his new team mates.

Thanks for the memories Pete, and keep up the good work in whichever direction it may take you.

AGod 29 August, 2019 19:48
Everyone talks about Peter’s tour de force with the bat vs Yorkshire.

However, for me Peter’s best work for the club came, as a bowler, in that season where we were absolutely bedevilled with injuries to our attack - was it 2012? It was the year we also had Vernon Philander and, at times, those were about the only two seamers left standing. Peter had to take the new ball, at times, which he did to great effect - bowling tirelessly and taking - if memory serves - about 50 first-class wickets that season.

Grockle 29 August, 2019 20:00
One thing you know about Peter Trego is that when he leaves there will be nothing left behind that he could have given to this club. I can't say I would have expected to say that about him in his first few months with the club but that was the boy and the person leaving will be a Somerset man in every way you can possibly define that.

(Sm72)

AGod 29 August, 2019 21:29
Completely agree.

brt1919 30 August, 2019 01:01
Tres may be the best player I’ve seen wear the Somerset shirt (seeing Martin Crowe a couple of times doesn’t really count), but Trego is the player I just love to watch more than any other, & the player for whom my heart sinks when he gets out. Just hope we get one more chance to see him play, but if not, the RLODC is a fine way for him to end his Somerset playing career

Grizzzly 30 August, 2019 06:12
A true hero for Somerset, over so very many years.

I don't think there has ever been a player that has played so long, so well and so wholeheartedly, with very little time out for injury. He could be called upon to bat, bowl or field just about anywhere and would walk through a barn door for the team.

Thanks for all the great memories Peter.

Hope his future career brings him whatever he wishes, and also that the Club find a suitable way of sending him & Marcus off at the end of the season.

Grizzzly

Shepton Paul 2 30 August, 2019 09:00
Wishing Peter Trego the very best in whatever he does next - top player, top entertainer, top team man, and by all accounts one of the good guys.

martin 30 August, 2019 09:28
Quote:
AGod
Everyone talks about Peter’s tour de force with the bat vs Yorkshire.
However, for me Peter’s best work for the club came, as a bowler, in that season where we were absolutely bedevilled with injuries to our attack - was it 2012? It was the year we also had Vernon Philander and, at times, those were about the only two seamers left standing. Peter had to take the new ball, at times, which he did to great effect - bowling tirelessly and taking - if memory serves - about 50 first-class wickets that season.

yes 2012 [www.bbc.co.uk]

Germiston lad 30 August, 2019 09:53
Quote:
Tom Seymour
To me, Peter will be missed more than Marcus because of his personality and the excitement that he gave us all.
He also had a great sense of social responsibility in that he summoned up a group of people via social media to tour the areas of Weston Super Mare on a freezing night just before Christmas to distribute hot soup and food to those who were sleeping rough. I hold that in as high esteem as some of his feats on the field of play.

This season he has been a professional for the Devon County Club. I am unsure as to how well he has performed for them, but I am sure that his very presence will have had a positive effect on his new team mates.

Thanks for the memories Pete, and keep up the good work in whichever direction it may take you.

Have no fear, he already has two centuries under his belt!

Clarence Parker 30 August, 2019 12:58
I can only echo all the sentiments and praise that have been expressed here and elsewhere on Peter's career with Somerset. Needless to say I too would like to thank him and to wish him all the very best for his future.

Personally, having seen him at the RLODC final at Lord's, I would have thought that such a good and long - standing servant of the club deserved another one year's contract in the white ball game. I don't think that the club's statement intimated that they had done this and that it was subsequently not possible to agree terms.

Years ago, before the advent of D's o C, it was customary for the committee to meet in a marquee after a certain day's play at the Weston Festival to discuss and determine the awarding of players' contracts for the following season, with an announcement being made a few weeks later.

I would be very surprised to learn that no other professionals will be released, (and I won't try to speculate on here now whom I consider they might be - because that would be insensitive to them) so that being the case, I wonder why they have announced just Pete's name at this stage.

Perhaps I am looking for things that don't exist, but nevertheless I regret that I will probably not see Pete striding to the wicket again in Somerset colours and stopping mid way to do his stretching exercises before proceeding to pummel the opposition's bowlers.

Good on you Pete.

AGod 30 August, 2019 13:32
Thanks for the link, Martin.

Peter was obviously proud of that achievement at the time and I think, looking back, it might be his proudest achievement that wasn't a one-off (by which I mean something that happened on one day).

Sam Trego used to post on here, and it was evident that Sam was frustrated that Peter wasn't given more of a chance with the ball, more often. He was often second change and sometimes seemed to be an afterthought. It was natural to wonder whether some of Sam's frustration came from talking with Peter himself.

We know that Pete was proud that he stepped up in our hour of need - because the article tells us as much (and same would be common sense). I suspect that Peter might also have felt a measure of vindication "See... give me more of a chance and I really can deliver."

Clarence Parker 30 August, 2019 16:03
I was at the County Ground on 13th. September that year to see the third day's play in the CC match v. Worcestershire. The start was delayed because the ground was enveloped in a thick mist which took some time to clear. It was nevertheless a cold and dank day.

Peter came across to field on the boundary where I was sitting and said to the spectators huddled together there whilst shrugging his shoulders - "It feels like Christmas Eve." And so it did.

When Pete came on to bowl, having a total of 49 wickets in the CC, he soon dismissed the late Phillip Hughes, who tragically died 2 years later in Australia. This was his 50th. wicket for the season and the joy and exuberance that he felt was a memorable sight to see. Everyone was delighted that in the final game of the season Pete had reached this milestone.

He truly deserved it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net