Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Throwing Away the Kia - farewell to the KSL
Discussion started by Bagpuss , 01 September, 2019 12:31
Throwing Away the Kia - farewell to the KSL
Bagpuss 01 September, 2019 12:31
Finals day today at Hove. Go well Western Storm, who have won once in the four year history of the tournament, and are the only team to gave qualified every year.

With a world T20 on the horizon, along with women's T20 cricket being included in the next Commonwealth Games in 2022, we can only wonder at the ECB's infinite wisdom in ditching this competition, all at the altar of the men's H*n*r*d.

Re: Throwing Away the Kia - farewell to the KSL
Farmer White 01 September, 2019 13:18
When you have a hungry tiger by the tail I imagine anything and everything has to go to feed it and you don't have time to think what you will feed it with when everything else has gone.

Farmer

mikeindex 01 September, 2019 13:18
Well said Bagpuss - and another brilliant thread title.

Grizzzly 01 September, 2019 19:26
Many congratulations to Western Storm.

Grizzzly

Mike TA1 01 September, 2019 19:38
What a brilliant win by the Western Storm

Chasing 173 to win they did it with one over to spare.

Heather Knight player of the match

Danielle Wyatt player of the tournament, when being interview Daggers mentioned next years 100 competition, Danielle said they are booing.

Roger ivanhoe 01 September, 2019 20:27
I agree with Mike, what a superb game at Hove today, and great to see Western Storm win the final.
Another strange move by the ECB to discontinue a competition which has been very successful for Women's cricket.
It brought Women's cricket out to the counties and attracted many of us that had never watched ladies cricket. And how it has improved since the first women's game I watched 4 years ago, since which I have attended most if not all the games at Taunton.
but I certainly will not be traveling over the bridge or to any of the city based ground for the 100 , male or female matches.
I just hope at some point we get competitive Women.'s cricket at the County Ground .

Kilmainham 01 September, 2019 20:55
It was an excellent days cricket and well worth making the trip. A couple of breathtaking innings from Danni Wyatt for Southern Vipers, a very good one in the semi final and then an even better one in the final. She, for sure, did not deserve to be on the losing side. Her batting was so composed with a clear mind set and clean authentic, thrilling stroke play.
We then witnessed a wonderfully timed innings from Heather Knight to win the final. There were many times it felt like it was getting away from Western Storm but not once did she panic and she got her reward.
And all for a £5 entrance fee with no idiots or songs about Caroline. Whats not to like. And then along came the ecb...

AGod 01 September, 2019 20:56
I doubt anybody will go over the bridge to watch Maynard’s franchise garbage.

Scrumper 02 September, 2019 00:25
I'll go over if he hoists the Wyvern.

cricketharris 02 September, 2019 12:58
Interesting, but sad, that some are now saying they will watch the hundred if it is played at Taunton. (Some women's games will be played at Bristol and Taunton as well as Cardiff).

Mike TA1 02 September, 2019 13:53
That's a problem for me not knowing what to do.

I have always watched and supported women's cricket, I still would like to support them but I am not interested in watching the hundred rubbish.

The ECB are being crafty.

Roger ivanhoe 02 September, 2019 14:17
Personally while I look forward to Women's Cricket to be held at Taunton, the 100 format is not for me, Test, 50 over and T20 are the only Women's games I will be watching.

Bagpuss 02 September, 2019 15:37
I feel the same Mike. Really want to support the women's game. But not the Hundred.

cricketharris 02 September, 2019 16:54
Simple. You can be sexist and just watch the women’s hundred or not watch the silly format at all and try to prove that it’s not working.

Grockle 02 September, 2019 19:07
Western Storm have been the runaway side of this tournament this year and richly deserve the win.

It's a shame that they also get the disdain that the present management of the game have given to the developments of the women's game while treating it as an after thought to their only partially thought out plans for the men's game in 2020.

It is all a great shame that as the side moves on from strength to strength they find themselves ignored and sidelined by the idiots in charge.

Which takes priority at Taunton if there is a 50 over Somerset game on at the same time as a Women's '100' game? Is this something else that we'll find the management have acceded to for their 'bung'?

(Sm72)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net