Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Same Old Same Old Trafford - England v Australia, 4th Test
Discussion started by Bagpuss , 02 September, 2019 11:12
Same Old Same Old Trafford - England v Australia, 4th Test
Bagpuss 02 September, 2019 11:12
England playing the same batsmen, just in a different order with Denly shuffled up to the top to open and Roy dropping down to the relative protection of 4. Or 3, 5 or 6. Who knows?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 13:03 by Grockle.

Re: Same Old Same Old Trafford - England v Australia, 4th Test
AGod 02 September, 2019 11:39
Won’t work. Unless pitch total mill-pond of the sort on which tail-Enders will make 50s. Roy doesn’t remotely have either the technique or the temperament for Test cricket.

Old Boy! 02 September, 2019 17:50
My gripe is with the performance of the Chairman of selectors. He has disappointed me a lot - no imagination. I would think they will try out ALL the Surrey XI before they try anyone else! The only certainty from Surrey for me would be Foukes as wicket keeper/batsman and good bye Bairstow!
Old Boy!

Shepton Paul 2 02 September, 2019 19:21
I'd certainly have Pope for Roy and Foakes (keeping) for Buttler.

Grockle 02 September, 2019 20:40
Buttler wasn't keeping was he? I think it was Bairstow. But Yes Foakes did very little wrong in his appearance(s) and is a much better keeper than either of them at Test level if not all levels.

(Sm72)

Shepton Paul 2 02 September, 2019 22:03
No, Bairstow was keeping - but I'd drop Jos and bring in Foakes to keep, with Bairstow playing just as a batsman (and superb outfielder).

AGod 03 September, 2019 07:03
So would I.

Phantom 03 September, 2019 10:55
It's starting to look like an old boys club again with certain players almost seemingly guaranteed a spot in the side no matter how they score in previous games

Bagpuss 03 September, 2019 13:38
Craig Overton replaces Chris Woakes, the only change in the England line up for Thursday.

Mike TA1 03 September, 2019 14:38
It starts Wednesday.

Wickham 03 September, 2019 16:08
Congratulations and good luck to Cove. What an honour for the club and its supporters to contribute two members of the bowling attack.

Tom Seymour 03 September, 2019 17:04
Quote:
Shepton Paul 2
Gotta say I'm pretty surprised - but good for Craig, hope he does really well.

I agree with that in its entirety, Shepton Paul, and I hope he does very well not only in his own name's sake but also for the club's.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

AGod 03 September, 2019 17:16
Jimmy apart, I don’t think Root really likes or rates skiddy bowlers.

Perhaps England are also anticipating the type of track that used to be seen at OT before they rotated the square - one full of pace and bounce?

SRD 03 September, 2019 22:03
Interesting re Jos Buttler, practically every reference to him I've heard rates him as one of the top fielders in the world, OK that in itself isn't sufficient justification for a place but as Somerset supporters know, he can bat, and, despite the lack of keeping (isn't that why he left Somerset in the first place), he can make a fine substitute if there's an injury.

Bagpuss 03 September, 2019 23:31
An improvement in the weather forecast suggests the match may well start on Wednesday 😉

An England team that is approximately 27% West Country in origin can only be a Good Thing.

Come on my babbies, as a certain Somerset supporter would say.

hantssabre 04 September, 2019 17:14
A great delivery by Craig to bowl Labuschagne

AGod 04 September, 2019 22:10
In a George Dobell piece from a couple of days ago (about Craig’s selection), the former England Assistant Coach, Paul Farbrace, is quoted as saying that, if he were picking the England (Test) team, Craig Overton would be on the team-sheet every single time.

Des Platt 05 September, 2019 00:54
Quote:
AGod
In a George Dobell piece from a couple of days ago (about Craig’s selection), the former England Assistant Coach, Paul Farbrace, is quoted as saying that, if he were picking the England (Test) team, Craig Overton would be on the team-sheet every single time.

That’s interesting. I think he’s a terrific bowler. Yes it would be great if he had three or four mph extra but he is capable of getting such bounce from a length or just short ; you all see far more of Somerset’s ( our!) bowlers than I do but relatively speaking he seems more targeted and therefore hostile than Jamie in the appearances I’ve seen. I very much wanted him to go to Australia two years ago and I think he was rather unlucky with his cracked rib and not to play at Brisbane in the first test when Ball was awful.

I know the conventional wisdom is that generally only mph works at test level. However, we had Saj Mahmood here at Lancs and, though he had his moments, I reckon batsman would rather have faced his 88/89 than Glen Chapple’s in your face 82/3s any day.

AGod 05 September, 2019 07:54
Mike Atherton always said that, to succeed at Test level, you need a minimum of 2 of these 4 attributes: Pace, accuracy, consistent movement, and bounce.

I agree with him. Of course, the final two attributes are conditional - in part - on the pitch.

Craig is pretty good on the final 3 of those 4 attributes. On a slow, low surface in India, he could be reduced to just one of those assets, of course.

AGod 05 September, 2019 15:27
As I said at the time, I bought none of the risible ‘England favourites now,’ gibberish after the miraculous ending to the last Test.

And we’re now seeing precisely how misguided and unintelligent such ‘England favourites,’ talk really was.

Somerset LaLaLa 05 September, 2019 17:46
Smith c Denly b Root 211

Our tactics worked then.

Declaration time?

Grizzzly 05 September, 2019 18:53
When was the last time two Somerset bowlers were bowling in tandem for England in a Test match ?

Grizzzly

AGod 05 September, 2019 19:12
Re-arranged deckchair collapses and fails on Titanic shocker! Not many for Denly.

Nailsea_Fizz 05 September, 2019 19:14
Well Craig now had 92 to beat as nightwatchman

AGod 05 September, 2019 19:14
Did Caddy and Jonno, great friends that they never were, ever play together?

I don’t think they did?

So might you have to go all the way back to ITB and Victor?

IDB played a couple, but I think was alone, Ghostie one, but alone.

Incidentally, I still don’t entirely discount Dom being summoned for the Oval...

AGod 05 September, 2019 19:19
Cove and Leachy best economy rates of England lot. A couple of wkts apiece. Obviously, Leachy’s no-ball hurt like hell, though.

Somerset LaLaLa 05 September, 2019 20:07
Steve Smith was asked at the end of Channel 5's highlights, how would he get himself out?

He didn't try to answer that, but said Australia bowled well on the right length with England bowling too short. They weren't going to get him lbw or caught behind and it just allowed the ball to soften up.

AGod 05 September, 2019 20:37
I’d just go full Bob Woolmer on Smith. Hide the ball way outside off-stuck with a 6-3 or even 7-2 field. Make him go looking for the ball, instead of bowling at his stumps. That’s unless there’s loads of assistance for the bowlers, obviously.

Somerset LaLaLa 06 September, 2019 08:14
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Craig Overton starting the batting for England this morning.

Unless the cloud has other ideas

Phantom 06 September, 2019 10:09
What odds for Craig to be England top run scorer?

Also how likely that we will be following on by the close today?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net