Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

JAMIE OVERTON COUNTY CAP
Discussion started by wsm fan , 10 September, 2019 20:23
JAMIE OVERTON COUNTY CAP
wsm fan 10 September, 2019 20:23
Huge congratulations to Jamie on the award of his county cap today.

In his 8th season & with over 250 wickets for the club it is long overdue & richly deserved.

Nobody trys harder or cares more about our club.
100% effort every time & our true X factor bowler.
Proven by his man of the match performance at Lords & will be a key figure over the next 17 days if we are to get the one we all want.

A nice family moment too for mum, dad & partner for the presentation, a proud day for all concerned i am sure.

Well done Jamie.

Re: JAMIE OVERTON COUNTY CAP
Grizzzly 10 September, 2019 21:26
Agree entirely wsm, including that it does seem well overdue.

Grizzzly

AGod 11 September, 2019 10:28
Still no idea how Azhar Ali managed to get his first, but nevermind.

I think the club should probably publish the criteria, assuming there are formal criteria.

Nailsea_Fizz 11 September, 2019 11:31
Another day another dig at the club

AGod 11 September, 2019 12:18
Instead of making an inane comment, why not provide a justification for Az to get his first, if you feel that it was justified?

rambling sid 11 September, 2019 23:30
Started playing in 2012, has been picked to play for England, has made regular major contributions with ball and bat. Why has it taken so long to win a county cap. I couldn't believe yesterday that he didn't already have one.

AGod 11 September, 2019 23:52
It seems to be more or less random stuff - the decision as to when to award.

I can only imagine that Azhar Ali was given his based on having been a Test player for Pak. But why we should give a *Somerset* cap for achievements for a national side, I don’t know?

Certainly, based on his SCCC career, there was no reason for him to get one before Jamie.

Wickham 12 September, 2019 07:38
I completely agree with wsm fan. Many congratulations to Jove. I remember seeing him in his first match at the Oval - on the morning of the second day, he scored a brisk 30 odd, before castling Rudolph with a brilliant yorker. I’ve no idea why it has taken so long to award him his county cap, but better late than never.

AGod 12 September, 2019 07:42
I was also there that day.

Phantom 12 September, 2019 10:13
Quote:
wsm fan
Huge congratulations to Jamie on the award of his county cap today.
In his 8th season & with over 250 wickets for the club it is long overdue & richly deserved.

Nobody trys harder or cares more about our club.
100% effort every time & our true X factor bowler.
Proven by his man of the match performance at Lords & will be a key figure over the next 17 days if we are to get the one we all want.

A nice family moment too for mum, dad & partner for the presentation, a proud day for all concerned i am sure.

Well done Jamie.

Shame the guy doing the presentation looked so miserable. . .

Phantom 12 September, 2019 10:14
Quote:
AGod
I think the club should probably publish the criteria, assuming there are formal criteria.

I was going to ask if anyone knew the criteria for getting their cap
Seems very random how they are awarded

wsm fan 12 September, 2019 13:16
Appears to be when somebody somewhere feels a player deserves one.
It can not be on length of service or runs or wickets or appearances as that would not add up in the cases of Azhar Jamie & RVDM.

Rod1883 12 September, 2019 16:52
Sorry I'm late, but I would also like to add my congratulations for this well deserved and at least a little overdue recognition.

AGod 12 September, 2019 17:45
I get the impression, WSM, that there’s an element of ‘you have to work harder to get one if you’re a younger player.’ If you’re already a Test player, before you join, it seems much easier to get the recognition.

AGod 12 September, 2019 17:52
I believe I’m correct in saying that there is no longer any salary implication in being capped. But does anyone know, for sure, whether that is true?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2019 23:24 by AGod.

Roger ivanhoe 12 September, 2019 21:15
Will be interesting to see if Vijay get presented with a SCCC cap during the Essex match.

cricketjerry-mouse 13 September, 2019 09:55
In a funny sort of way, it is what you love about Somerset cricket supporters - spending their time exploring the club`s navel just as it sits on the cusp of an extraordinary playing achievement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net