Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Contracts
Discussion started by nelliec , 13 September, 2019 17:38
Contracts
nelliec 13 September, 2019 17:38
It is brilliant news that Tom Banton has committed his future to Somerset for the next 3 years,but what does ta contract actually mean for the club

Who actually decides what part he will play for us ?
For a central contracted player you are totally governed by the ECB
But for an IPL you would assume agreement
Is between club and player , but the 100?

Who has the final say on releasing a player to play?
Who decides on resting a player if injured?
Who pays his contract?
None of these questions seem to have been answered.

Also does anyone know who’s contracts need to be finalised before next season.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2019 11:37 by Grockle.

Re: Contracts
wsm fan 14 September, 2019 07:31
The remaining contracts expiring in 16 days time i believe are Timmy G, S Davies & Eddie. Ollie Sale too i think

Otherwise the others have been released retired or all are all on the books until at least Sept 2020.

somerset blue 14 September, 2019 10:34
The Devon website has reported Ollie Sale having a new one year contract.

Rumours are rife that TG has a deal elsewhere

nelliec 14 September, 2019 10:41
I think eventually you will end up with a pay as you play contract.If the 50 over competition is downgraded from a first class competition you will probably either receive a 100 contract or a minimal 50 over contract.Just can’t see any of it working.

nelliec 14 September, 2019 10:44
I also heard speculation that Eddie has been offered a 3 year deal at Glamorgan,although there is still an offer on the table at Somerset,but much shorter.

Roger ivanhoe 14 September, 2019 12:57
Tim Groenewald off to Kent I understand, must be intended replacement for Darren Stevens who leaves Kent after 15 years.

wsm fan 14 September, 2019 13:02
Kent said to be having a rethink and now trying to keep Stevens.....

Grockle 14 September, 2019 14:13
Certainly wouldn't begrudge Tim looking to extend his csreer if he can. He certainly offers something and he's done us a decent job.

(Sm72)

somerset blue 14 September, 2019 18:30
Quote:
Roger ivanhoe
Tim Groenewald off to Kent I understand, must be intended replacement for Darren Stevens who leaves Kent after 15 years.

Correct Roger

nelliec 14 September, 2019 19:46
Assuming we lose Trescothick ,Trego ,Groenswald ,Rouse and Van Meekeren , and possibly Ed Byron we have possibly got to offer contracts to either 4 or 5 emerging players as well as possibly recruiting a top class batsman.
Who do we expect to fill these positions.Having not watched much 2 nd eleven cricket this year have we any emerging fast bowlers or a keeper if Steve Davies does not get a new contract.

Grizzers 14 September, 2019 22:53
If TG is indeed on his way, I wish him the absolute very best, but will be very sorry to see him go.

He has never given less than 100% and has been a gutsy performer for us on many occasions with the ball, but also with the bat. Not only can he bash the ball over the boundary with great gusto, he has been part of some memorable last wicket partnerships.

No-one who saw this game will ever forget the amazing atmosphere when we won, and the utter and complete silence which fell over the ground prior to each delivery, during the preceding hour or so:

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Grizzzly

Roger ivanhoe 15 September, 2019 11:35
Somerset County Cricket Club have today announced that Ollie Sale has signed a new one-year contract extension that will see the 23-year-old remain at the Club until at least the end of the 2020 season.

Grockle 16 September, 2019 18:13
Let's hope next season is his chance to break through then. Surprised Ollie is 23. Thought he was younger than that.

(Sm72)

Bagpuss 16 September, 2019 22:38
The match report on today's play at Southampton on Cricinfo finished by suggesting Tim Groenewald will leave Somerset at the end of this season. An announcement of his signing by Kent is expected.

cricketjerry-mouse 17 September, 2019 15:54
Perhaps Somerset could swap Tim Groenewald for Darren Stevens, who is being released by Kent at the end of the summer. Against Yorkshire at Headingley yesterday, 237 runs from 225 balls, with nine sixes; today two top Yorkshire wickets of Lyth and Balance.

What a way to leave!

AGod 17 September, 2019 19:22
80 odd and, I think, 10 wkts in the match prior.

And his bowling is so slow that he may not hit the wall anytime soon!

And, unlike Jim Allenby, he has proven - this season - that he can do the job in CC1.

If he were interested in a 12 month deal for all cricket? Why not?

brt1919 18 September, 2019 09:43
And Kent are apparently reconsidering things in the light of recent performances!

Old Boy! 18 September, 2019 14:43
I am beginning to think that many of our great youngsters who have blossomed with the white ball may not have the patience required for red ball cricket.

Old Boy!

brt1919 18 September, 2019 19:12
Or alternatively, they’re learning the hard way?

Grockle 18 September, 2019 19:18
Or haven't been given a 2019 opportunity

(Sm72)

nelliec 18 September, 2019 20:43
Another Ton for Byrom this week.

AGod 18 September, 2019 21:48
Prepare a Bunsen:

Vijay
Davies
Byrom
Hildreth
Abell
Bartlett
Lammonby
LG
Bess
Cove
Leachy

Side packed with batting to cope with difficult conditions. Ball will turn square, so two main seamers, plus two 0.5 seamers (if you like) ought to be enough as Leachy and Dom will be doing most of the work.

Incidentally, Dom has a terrific record with the bat, vs Essex.

The above team won’t be the actual one, of course. It’s just what I’d do.

Grizzers 20 September, 2019 11:23
It's all very quiet re SD's contract situation.

He's perhaps under performed at times since his move from Surry, but he has shown over the past few weeks that he is a real option to open the batting long term and given that we aren't exactly over endowed with people to fill that role, I'd be more than happy to see him do so, whilst retaining the gloves of course.
If he departs, the priority of strengthening our batting line over the winter months up will surely be even more of a challenge.
Grizzzly

Roger ivanhoe 20 September, 2019 11:31
Good to see Jack Leach has received an increment contract from the ECB.

Grizzers 20 September, 2019 11:49
Yes, well done indeed Jack.
Have to confess I had to look up what exactly an "incremental contract" is. The 'Cricketer' defines it as follows:
"Increment contracts are given to players who are still proving themselves in the international arena.

They may have made an impact in the white-ball game, for instance, but are yet to establish themselves in Test cricket.

Increment contracts do not give the ECB overall jurisdiction in the availability and workload of a player. However, because they do receive an additional salary on top of their county wage, the England team is entitled to some say in such matters."
Grizzzly

Roger ivanhoe 20 September, 2019 12:07
With Moeen Ali losing his Red Ball contract, it leaves the Red Ball contract list with no main spinner (Joe Root very limited use).

Roger ivanhoe 20 September, 2019 13:03
Somerset County Cricket Club are pleased to be able to announce that fast bowler Nathan Gilchrist has signed a new one-year contract extension.

Grockle 20 September, 2019 15:29
Good. Hope he comes on.

(Sm72)

Bagpuss 22 September, 2019 09:38
Report in todays MoS that Yorkshire are targeting Middlesex captain Dawid Malan. Still in contract till 2021 but his captancy position is at risk after a poor championship season where they would have hoped - expected even - to have mounted a successful challenge for promotion with three of the ten teams join up.

Whilst I'm concerned about counties sniffing around players who are in contract to another county (and lets face it, Yorkshire haven't been shy in this respect this year with Andrew Gale saying publicly he'd like to entice the in-contract Dom Bess to Headingley), if Middlesex are thinking of parting ways with Malan I'd like to think Somerset might have a word in his ear.

Malan would no doubt be looking for first division cricket in what would probably be a last ditch attempt to attract the eyes of the England selectors to revive his international career. Somerset could provide that as well as Yorkshire. What wouldn't be on offer would be the captaincy; if that was important to him then Yorkshire would offer it on a silver platter with Patterson never looking more than a captaincy stopgap. Of course the other thing Yorkshire could dangle would be a Hundred spot - although not for 2020 as home team.picks have to have played for that county for at least a year. But they could agree to bid for him in the draft if other franchises don't pick him first. Contract bundling is outlawed in the new comp regs, but try proving something that is an unwritten gentleman's agreement.

Thr last couple of top 3 batsmen who moved from Lord's to Taunton didn't fare too badly.

cricketjerry-mouse 22 September, 2019 16:14
Yorkshire fans forum none too keen on Dawid Malan - pointing out that he has totalled 49 runs in Middlesex`s last there matches and failed to lead them to promotion in a Division Two three-up year.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net