Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Capacity ?
Discussion started by Grizzzly , 14 September, 2019 09:03
Capacity ?
Grizzzly 14 September, 2019 09:03
Forgive my ignorance, but with the current temporary stand, what is the ground capacity at Taunton ?

Given the level of support that we (and Essex) enjoy, along with the national interest (amplified by Sky broadcasting it live), that will be created by the Championship decider starting in just ten days time, I wonder whether there may be the possibility of more people wanting to attend, than seats available?

Whatever the numbers are, it’s a racing certainty that the queues will be stretching a long way down St James Street on Monday 23rd September.

Let alone a couple of days later, if things go to plan !

Grizzzly

Re: Capacity ?
wsm fan 14 September, 2019 09:37
6,800 basic i believe

Farmer White 14 September, 2019 09:52
Grizzzly

It certainly feels like that. The crowds for the last match must have been in the region of 3000 on each of the three days and very few left before the end of play on any of the days.

However, I remember 2008. We began the last match of the season - at Taunton - needing to beat Lancashire and collect a few batting points and for Nottinghamshire to lose against Hampshire for us to win the Championship. I wasn't a member then because I was still in exile and unable to attend many matches. I bought advance tickets to ensure I would get in only to find the ground not much more than half full.

In the end Nottinghamshire did lose but so did we having, in the days of 'roads', produced an ugly looking green top, lost the toss, and been put in on it. Durham came through the pack to take the title, Nottinghamshire came second and, on the back of their win against Nottinghamshire, Hampshire who had been 'nailed on' relegation favourites earlier in the season pipped us for third place. The Hants - Notts match was the one where Notts started clear favourites but Hampshire secretly flew Imran Tahir in from South Africa and did not announce his presence until the morning of the match after which he went through Notts.

It feels different this time but I still find that 'small' crowd odd.

Farmer

Grizzzly 14 September, 2019 10:08
Interesting stuff Farmer.

To be honest, I can't remember a lot about 2008, other than not being in the UK much, so it was a case of just following our progress on the internet.

It does feel very different this year though. There has been a momentum building throughout the season and - apart from a dodgy period leading up to the T20's - almost an inevitability that 23rd September would see the biggest game in our history.

It conjures up memories of the old JPL days, when hordes would queue outside the ground from early in the morning to ensure they could get a seat by 2 p.m. .

Whatever happens between now and then, (weather permitting), there will be a great atmosphere at the ground on Monday 23rd September 2019.

Let's hope it stays that way as the game progresses !

Grizzzly

Mr Clumsy 14 September, 2019 11:01
I've been wondering this too. I am an avid Somerset supporter but have only actually been to the ground twice this year so far as the CC/50-over fixtures have been scheduled such that I'm nearly always at work. This year I only got an associate membership for this reason.
However, I have already made arrangements for up to 3 days' leave for the Essex match depending on weather etc... - I have 2 day-passes left from my membership plus will buy another day in advance. I know of 3 other non-members who only usually go for a day once or twice a year who are trying to get there for the Essex match.
Then I just think I will have to turn up at 8am or something to ensure I get in the ground!

It must be very difficult for the club to judge how many members will turn up and thus how much other space there will be.

mikeindex 14 September, 2019 11:53
6800 sounds rather low - would that be excluding the new Priory Bridge stand? With that one included I'd have thought 8000+ at least.

Roger ivanhoe 14 September, 2019 12:46
From Wikipedia

The County Ground, known for sponsorship reasons as Cooper Associates County Ground, is a cricket ground in Taunton, Somerset. It is the home of Somerset County Cricket Club, who have played there since 1882. The ground, which is located between Priory Bridge Road and St James Street, has a capacity of 8,500.
Capacity‎: ‎8,500 (12,500 for internationals) Owner‎: ‎Somerset County Cricket Club
Location‎: ‎Taunton, Somerset

wsm fan 14 September, 2019 13:04
I am very sure as it stands our fixed capacity currently is not 8,500.
We didnt report over 7500 for any T20s with a pretty full ground each time.

Mike TA1 14 September, 2019 13:06
I always thought it was about 6500 without extra seats.

Roger ivanhoe 14 September, 2019 13:44
I agree WSM, and did we really get 12500 in for the Internationals.

Heard figures from club officials that the sell out numbers including those sold on no seat allocation to be in region of 7800 this year.

wsm fan 14 September, 2019 13:51
7,636 we had for Surrey T20

Grockle 14 September, 2019 14:08
Yep our capacity is a little over7500 unless we take steps to extend it

(Sm72)

nelliec 14 September, 2019 16:19
Hope it’s not a sell out against Essex as the priory bridge road stand is been dismantled this week to make way for food and drink outlets for the Queen event on Thursday.This won’t look very good on sky.Maybe it will be a case of bring your own chairs along like the good old days at Weston and Bath

Grizzzly 14 September, 2019 18:22
Perhaps it should be put back up again on Friday morning .

Grizzzly

Somerset LaLaLa 14 September, 2019 19:09
I said somewhere on the Yorkshire thread that there wouldn't be an empty seat for Essex. It was based on a number of people I know all saying they were going. One reason is the **** poor scheduling making it harder to get to Taunton and this fixture standing out for a long time. We mustn't forget the weather may spoil these plans. I wonder how many of us would wait all day in the rain to wait for the match to be called off as a draw, and then see Tom lift the trophy?

Bagpuss 15 September, 2019 00:03
The 12,500 quoted was for the England v SA T20I in 2017. For that match there was a far bigger temporary stand in the Priory Bridge car park area, another temporary stand in the St James car park adjacent to the Ondaatje stand an another temporary stand on Gimbletts Hill extending over the churchyard.

Sloop John B 15 September, 2019 08:46
Essex match will be a sell-out. Club need to consider admitting members before others with bought tickets and before any pay-on-the-gate folk. There will be riots if members get excluded because the ground is Full.

wsm fan 15 September, 2019 09:19
I imagine it will be along lines of T20 pre allocated seating.

We have a membership of xxxx championship members.
They have pre bought guaranteed entry in my mind.
T20 members who get the 50s free dont get champo games free, so the number of champo only members should be easy to ascertain.

In T20 we used to guess on % of platinum members who would turn up.

In the Essex scenario i suggest they guess on a very high %.....
Once they have that number they know how many they can sell in advance and then on the gate.
The issue comes with members guest passes!!!!
There may be 1000's milling around but club has no idea how many will be used for the Essex game.

I would think a sensible policy (not sure how realistic it is mind)
That any non member going needs a ticket. So if guest passes wish to be used they need in advance to be exchanged for a match day ticket. Small amount of admin but worth it for increased knowledge on who is coming.

If any member is refused entry on any day due to pre selling too many tickets to the public good luck trying to keep us all out.......

What is likely to be the most important 4 days at Taunton in the clubs history just can not be spoilt by crowd/attendance issues.

Somerset LaLaLa 15 September, 2019 10:22
It would be good to let us know the situation. And if anyone is in Taunton tomorrow, they ask at the ground?

The more to see Essex the merrier (although I believe the season ends too late). A sell out would be amazing and show Colin Graves where the sun doesn't shine

Grizzzly 15 September, 2019 10:29
Wonder if either Graves or Harrison will be in attendance ?

It would be rather nice to have the opportunity to shake their hands and congratulate them on their magnificent stewardship of the domestic game.

Or something like that...........

Grizzzly

Cleavo 15 September, 2019 21:45
Grizzly Mr Graves was in attendance at The Oval today and part of the post match presentation party handing out the dignitaries. When his name was announced I hope there was a chorus of boos.

Hard to believe a County Championship match would sell out as nobody watches county cricket according to the powers that be. Plenty of interest in county cricket in the South West and always has been.

There is a huge amount of interest especially with a game of this magnitude where fingers crossed history is made.

Des Platt 16 September, 2019 00:54
Purchased my tickets for all four days today. As excited as I ever get nowadays!

Scrumper 16 September, 2019 01:24
Do you get a refund when it's all over by Tuesday teatime?

Phantom 16 September, 2019 11:29
Quote:
Scrumper
Do you get a refund when it's all over by Tuesday teatime?

Yes

Phantom 16 September, 2019 11:30
Quote:
Sloop John B
Essex match will be a sell-out. Club need to consider admitting members before others with bought tickets and before any pay-on-the-gate folk. There will be riots if members get excluded because the ground is Full.

Hang on, you are saying that someone who bought a ticket should hang around outside and then only be admitted if there is space?
That is ridiculous!!

Grockle 16 September, 2019 18:27
I hope there's a refund as I don't get in until Weds mornong!

(Sm72)

hantssabre 16 September, 2019 18:43
It might be all over by then Grockle!

Grizzzly 16 September, 2019 18:55
Quick race down the M4/5 then Grockle ?!

Grizzzly

mikeindex 16 September, 2019 19:43
If the CC is won on Tuesday night, Grockle, there will be plenty going on Weds morning.

Somerset LaLaLa 16 September, 2019 19:58
I hope you don't miss the winning bonus point by 5 minutes

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net