Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
The only way's through Essex innit?!!
Discussion started by nelliec , 20 September, 2019 08:34
The only way's through Essex innit?!!
nelliec 20 September, 2019 08:34
So here we go again.Somerset’s latest attempt to achieve the unachievable or so it always seems..
What’s any different.We have already got one trophy in the cabinet so our runnners up label has been lifted slightly..
It is ours to win this week ,not to throw away and there are no other teams who could possibly contrive to stop us ( apart from the ECB )
The weather could play its part but does appear to be improving slightly ,so with the floodlights hopefully a full game.
So it’s down to the make up of the team......

Added the apostrophe and ? (Though it may be a statement I suppose). But here we go!!!!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2019 00:18 by Grockle.

Re: The only ways through Essex innit. !!
Grizzzly 20 September, 2019 11:10
The sun is out in Devon, but it's windy, the leaves are falling and autumn beckons.
As the curtain falls on another season, whatever happens across the next six days, SCCC are in a damned good place (well, at least as good as is possible under the ECB's stewardship of the game).

Despite the Hants. result, I'm sure everyone involved with the Club feels elated with all that has been achieved this year, so next week, with huge support and in front of a t.v. audience, let's finish with another display of the very best and show the world what we are capable of.

Come on Somerset !!
Grizzzly

nelliec 20 September, 2019 11:19
I expect Mike will inform us the whereabouts of the wicket next week , but would assume a used strip somewhere in the centre of the square, probably used in the world cup or T20 blast.
Would assume with the weather conditions almost definitely Lewis Jos , and Cove along with Leach will play plus any one of Cove, Roelof or Bess.

Des Platt 20 September, 2019 11:20
Quote:
Grizzzly
The sun is out in Devon, but it's windy, the leaves are falling and autumn beckons.
As the curtain falls on another season, whatever happens across the next six days, SCCC are in a damned good place (well, at least as good as is possible under the ECB's stewardship of the game).

Despite the Hants. result, I'm sure everyone involved with the Club feels elated with all that has been achieved this year, so next week, with huge support and in front of a t.v. audience, let's finish with another display of the very best and show the world what we are capable of.

Come on Somerset !!
Grizzzly

Hear, hear!

AGod 20 September, 2019 11:30
If management are feeling ‘elated,’ then - IMO - that would indicate a problem. They might feel quietly satisfied, perhaps, but being in second place after leading for so long, is not cause for any kind of orgy of self-congratulation. Management are probably aware that this may have been our last real chance, given Graves’s all-consuming ambition to destroy us.

The players, certainly, will feel far from elated unless Essex are beaten next week.

Grizzzly 20 September, 2019 11:36
I was trying to lift the mood AG !
Grizzzly

nelliec 20 September, 2019 11:52
Agree Grizzly.Time to start being positive .With Tom Abell ,Tom Banton and George Bartlett we have 3 batsmen who could be around for the next 10 years to take the club forward if it is allowed to do so by the ECB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2019 11:52 by nelliec.

AGod 20 September, 2019 12:31
Sure, if the ECB don’t end real cricket, or us, then there are certainly many reasons for optimism for the future in our present squad (and beneath it.)

The weight of that if (the most important word in the English language), is - however - problematic.

Mike TA1 20 September, 2019 15:16
I did try and put the idea in the clubs head by asking if the gates will open two hours before start of play, the answer was no.

It doesn't matter about supporters standing for a long time waiting to get in, it is more to do with having to pay the stewards one more hours pay.

Re: The only way's through Essex innit?!!
Grockle 20 September, 2019 15:48
Well after 25 years and a couple of near misses I nearly returned for I am perfectly happy, nay elated, at the prospect of being home for the second half of the game.

After wading through the negativity of some for years - "we never win anything" "we never put it together," "I've been supporting for 12 million years and they are always the same".... I'll be quite happy to meet up with some who think "maybe" and watch a side that has at least been knocking on the door for a decade and has silver in the cabinet this year.

Don't think they'll do it next week? Then fulfill the prophecy, stay home and expect nothing then we'll give you space on Thursday night to tell us all how you told us so blah blah blah.

Have some hope? Come down to Taunton and pass it on and who knows what we might witness.

My own personal investment in this club is not as large as that of some and the reward for my investment will be if the waiting is over for some who have kept vigil with good humour and balance far longer than I have.

If it is not to be then there will be other days for a true cricket fan.

(Sm72)

nelliec 20 September, 2019 16:18
Well said Grockle.Four days of positivity from us and everyone at the club,and the atmosphere on Monday morning might be all the eleven selected need to bring it home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2019 16:19 by nelliec.

Somerset LaLaLa 20 September, 2019 20:01
Just watching the cricket next week will make me elated. Whatever the outcome this fixture will be bigger, I feel, than the Lords final.

If the weather is very kind enough to us, we will probably win. So it is the daft scheduling after the equinox that may be our undoing.

However, as I walk away from the ground on the last day, I will spare a thought for Graves.

Failing to break the championship, instead ending on a showdown. The two best teams not being city based.

Notts going down, the bottom half could finish with all city based sides? Northants and Glos/Glam going up.

The loser is obvious

Des Platt 20 September, 2019 22:23
Quote:
Somerset LaLaLa
Just watching the cricket next week will make me elated. Whatever the outcome this fixture will be bigger, I feel, than the Lords final.
If the weather is very kind enough to us, we will probably win. So it is the daft scheduling after the equinox that may be our undoing.

However, as I walk away from the ground on the last day, I will spare a thought for Graves.

Failing to break the championship, instead ending on a showdown. The two best teams not being city based.

Notts going down, the bottom half could finish with all city based sides? Northants and Glos/Glam going up.

The loser is obvious

Well said ; some great posts today.

wsm fan 20 September, 2019 23:10
Expected team

MV SD TA JH TB GB LG DB CO JO JL

3 day win coming up 👏👏👏

Grockle 20 September, 2019 23:23
Would still love to see 'MT' as those first initials but professional sport is professional sport.

(Sm72)

Grizzzly 21 September, 2019 08:11
Jason Kerr is quoted in the County Gazette yesterday saying that Marcus would not play, as he isn’t one of the players most likely to ensure we win.

I wonder if Murali might feel a touch embarrassed to read that based on his efforts to date.

As regards wsm’s team, Josh’s recent performances have been excellent and unless the pitch is a raging turner, I’d choose him ahead of Dom.

BBC weather forecast is still pretty grim, albeit the Met Office marginally less so.

Grizzzly

Somerset LaLaLa 21 September, 2019 12:09
Seconded Grizzzly's post. Bess only bowled 8 overs in the first innings last week and VdM 9 in the second. Is Jove back firing on all cylinders (if he was injured last week)?

Grockle 21 September, 2019 12:30
The storm heading your way from here - Hurricane Humberto was less impressive than expected over Bermuda so seems to be losing power

(Sm72)

AGod 21 September, 2019 13:02
We can hope.

nelliec 21 September, 2019 22:18
Lots of talk on sky of Essex completing the double.Have they forgotten anyone else who could do that this season ??

nelliec 21 September, 2019 22:21
Harmer has already starting the ball rolling by suggesting that it will be a two day wicket this week.

Scrumper 21 September, 2019 23:57
Oh course it's going to be a two day wicket (Sm44)

Wickham 22 September, 2019 06:40
It is refreshing to be out of reach of mobile phones and the internet. But not when your team is playing a crucial match. So far as I was concerned, the Hampshire first innings score was stuck on 71 for six for some 21 hours. I suspect that, over the coming few days, I will find myself in similar states of ignorance of the passage of play (if, indeed, there is going to be play). I hope that the cricketing (and meteorological) gods smile on us. But whatever the outcome, I, for one, have been royally entertained by the team this year.

geordie moonraker 22 September, 2019 07:34
I have been thinking about the toss. We have to win, Essex don't have to lose. Essex have the option of bowling and hoping we don't make a big score, so they can win. They could try to bat and bat long and slow to keep defeat away.
If there were a toss and we won it what is the best to do? We could bat long and quick and hope to take 20 wickets. We could bowl, because if there is a toss it is because Essex want to bat, and take it from there. Glad the decision is not mine.
I wish I were younger, fitter and not so far away because otherwise nothing would keep me from Taunton tomorrow. I am resigned to not winning but every fibre of my being is with the gallant lads and I shall not miss a ball in the hope of great things.

Bagpuss 22 September, 2019 09:02
I think Essex will bowl. If Essex lose the match they can still win the Championship if they achieve 5 more bonus points than Somerset. So if they bowl Somerset out inside 110 overs they have 3 points. Plus they know how many batting points Somerset have. They have a target to aim for when batting.

Bowl Somerset put for 200-249 and if they achieve 400 they will only be 4 bonus points better. If Somerset win the match they are level on points and lift the trophy by having won 10 matches to Essex's 9. But get to 400 losing no more than 8 wickets (or 350 for 5) and the 5 bonus point gap would mean there was nothing Somerset could do to prevent the Championship returning to Chelmsford.

Unless of course Essex channel their inner Middlesex and get docked points for a slow over rate. Which ain't happening.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2019 09:12 by Bagpuss.

nelliec 22 September, 2019 09:22
I would definitely bowl first.Going to be a seamers paradise.Green top,overcast with the lights on.If we end up batting play it like a 50 over game.Were quite good at that and someone might get lucky and hit a big score.I think if you hang around long enough they’ll be s ball with your name on it .Would settle now for a score of 200-220

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2019 09:23 by nelliec.

Bagpuss 22 September, 2019 09:47
Btw in my post above I'm not saying these batting scenario are likely - let's face it, first innings totals approaching 400 are now the exception rather than the rule at Taunton, even mid season, let alone in late September under floodlights and the remnants of some west Atlantic hurricane Grockle has brought over just to show us life for him isn't one long palm-fringed, pink-sanded paradise. The examples were really just about the maths. But by making Somerset bat first Essex give themselves more control over the maths. The pitch and the weather no-one can control.

Mike TA1 22 September, 2019 10:43
My weather app has changed since yesterday and not for the better, for Tuesday.

Monday – rain showers in the afternoon.
Tuesday – thunderstorms throughout the day.
Wednesday – light rain throughout the day.
Thursday – showers/light rain.

A damp end to the season.

Grizzzly 22 September, 2019 13:40
Jack Leach included in the fourteen man squad.

Presentation for Marcus at lunchtime tomorrow in recognition of his services to the Club. (No mention of Peter Trego however).

As the forecast remains poor, I don't imagine the ground staff will be looking forwards to this week with great enthusiasm.

Grizzzly

hantssabre 22 September, 2019 14:54
Peter Trego had a presentation before the T20 match against Middlesex I think!

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net