Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Area AGM's
Discussion started by wsm fan , 14 October, 2019 18:07
Area AGM's
wsm fan 14 October, 2019 18:07
Kick off this Thursday 17th with the Weston super Mare area AGM.

Top table to include Hurry Derry & Brice.

Shame it's 3 days before the draft & presumably before Mr Kirsten announces his Welsh assistants.

Still all very quiet on the Chairman CEO & groundsman vacancies.....

Re: Area AGM's
wsm fan 17 October, 2019 22:24
Brice Hurry Parsons Rose (and Trego at the end) in attendance.

Hurry - season summary

Brice - club update

Points of note.

A question re Cornish departure flat batted, no comment.

No ground works planned.

Groundsman shortlist underway. Simon has overseen winter work.

Pre season tour being planned again to Abu Dhabi.

New chairman hoped to be in place by end November.
CEO to follow with Chairman input.

Season starts Apr13. Ends Sep 30.
Champo bookends it
7 rounds up to May25.
Then 6 rounds from late August.
A few weeks amongst blast.

Overseas talks in progress.
Likely 1 first part season. Another 2nd half.

Top overseas not keen on blast. Prefer 100 instead.

We will treat 50 over properly with best team. Not a development opportunity.

The 100.
Players wont be released back to counties.
Once blast ends players go straight to 100 teama.
100 side in total control of players. If they get injured on duty tough.
If player needs managing we have no say.
Club gets % of players lost to 100 salary compensation.
100 teams CANNOT pick county players as injury replacements. They have 16 man squad only, not sure i believe that point.....

No mention of any domestic signings.

No mention of our financial position.

Winter training restarts Nov4. Fitness pre xmas skills post.
Marcus in talks with sccc sky ecb over his options. Nothing decided.

Pete presented with token gift at the end from Weston area committee

Tom Seymour 19 October, 2019 21:13
Thanks for your report WSM.

How many members were in attendance?

When you say that there was "No mention of any domestic signings and no mention of our financial position", were these issues not raised by the membership at all? The club's financial year has ended, so some figures should have been available to disclose.

If "no ground works are planned", what has happened to the plans to build a new stand with inbuilt concessions and for which I understood plans have already been submitted to the local Planning Committee? The intention was to have this completed and ready for use before the start of the 2020 season.

Lastly the club remains mysteriously silent on the circumstances regarding the CEO's dismissal. Having only heard rumours of course, along with probably the rest of the club's membership, one might be forgiven for thinking that some form of legal action may very well be going to take place, either against the club or conversely against a former employee. If so, a broad statement by the club (without going into personal details concerning any individual) should surely be made. Perhaps other contributors will ask and find out more from their own area AGM's.

(Sm102)

Mike TA1 19 October, 2019 21:24
The financial year has not ended, this financial year (fifteen months) doesn't end until the end of the year.

wsm fan 19 October, 2019 22:01
I am fairly confident Mike, that having asked some office staff recently that the year end was September 30th 2019.

The 15 month period to move us to a December year end will be from 1 October 2019 through to 31 December 2020.

wsm fan 19 October, 2019 22:05
Around 22/25 in attendance i would guess.

I would be very confident any question of any kind regarding Mr Cornish will be met by a flat "no comment"
It was very clear there was no way they were going to give any information at all on the subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/10/2019 05:56 by wsm fan.

Mike TA1 19 October, 2019 22:21
WSM, I must have missed heard what was said at the last AGM, that is not surprising with my hearing.

Tom Seymour 20 October, 2019 09:47
Where did you both learn of the club's apparent decision to change the financial year of the club, from ending in September to a new ending of December? It is certainly news to many I would suggest.

Surely such action would necessitate a change in the club rules, which could only be raised, debated and voted upon at the club's full AGM.

With reports of the club doing nowhere near to their projected financial surplus; despite 3 World Cup games in good weather and a Women's Ashes Test being hosted at Taunton, and with the silence continuing on the dismissal of the CEO, I am beginning to smell a rat here.

Hope I am wrong, but we are a members club and deserve to be informed on such matters.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Bagpuss 20 October, 2019 13:27
I seem to remember it being proposed and voted on at the last AGM in January. Reasoning iirc was to relieve pressure on staff as currently end of financial year prep coincides with final month of season. Sounded logical and not particularly fishy at the time.

Roger ivanhoe 20 October, 2019 14:27
Clause (i) in the accounts for year ending september 2018 state....

Recognition of Income Membership subscriptions received in respect of the of the year
ended December 2018 and the ECB distributions scheduled for receipt within the year ended 31st January 2019 are considered to relate to the 2018 season and have been included in the accounts consistent with the policy of previous years. All other income is recognised in the period to which it accrues.

No mention that I could find of changes to year end. However regarding membership subscription, for the first year Long Room premium members were offered reserved seating for T20 games (only) if they paid their subs before mid December(2018) . I and a lot of other members paid our subs and took the offer up,it beg the question were our 2019 subs included in the 2018 accounts. Assuming a hundred took up the offer that would be in the region of £66K.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net