Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Andy Nash, the ECB and the 23rd October
Discussion started by Grizzers , 17 October, 2019 19:04
Andy Nash, the ECB and the 23rd October
Grizzers 17 October, 2019 19:04
Not sure if this will be televised or streamed live, but it could make for an interesting occasion !:

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Grizzzly

Re: Andy Nash, the ECB and the 23rd October
Roger ivanhoe 17 October, 2019 19:42
I imagine will make more interesting viewing than the dual of the snack brands to come.

Mike TA1 17 October, 2019 20:00
Sorry Grizzzly, i posted something on the hundred thread before i read this thread.

Added it to here.

The future of English cricket inquiry
[www.parliament.uk]

I see Andy Nash is one of the witnesses

Grizzers 17 October, 2019 21:17
Thanks Mike.

Will you be in the public gallery ?!

Grizzzly

Mike TA1 17 October, 2019 21:22
I would love to see Tractor their with one his Tee Shirts on.

Somerset LaLaLa 18 October, 2019 08:46
Scroll to the bottom [calendar.parliament.uk]
Portcullis House is the one on the other side of the road from Big Ben. Can you just turn up?

2.30 pm

Digital, Culture, Media and Sport - Oral Evidence Session
The future of English cricket

Colin Graves, Chairman, English and Wales Cricket Board
Tom Harrison, Chief Executive, English and Wales Cricket Board
Clare Connor, Managing Director, Women’s Cricket, England and Wales Cricket Board
Lord Patel of Bradford OBE, Senior Independent Non-Executive Director, England and Wales Cricket Board
Laura Cordingley, Chief Executive, Chance to Shine
Becky Fairlie-Clarke, Co-founder, Cricket Supporter’s Association
Andy Nash, former chairman of Somerset County Cricket Club
Chris Willetts, co-founder, Platform Cricket

Somerset LaLaLa 22 October, 2019 17:55
Andy Nash was on Claire Carter's programme, BBC Somerset, this morning:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Listen from 2hrs 25mins.

Suggested T20 may go and how Somerset would survive without it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/10/2019 17:56 by Somerset LaLaLa.

Grizzers 22 October, 2019 19:46
Thanks for the link SLLL.

Shocking to hear AN say that there will be no first team cricket at Taunton in July and August. (No doubt the downgraded 50 over competition is excluded from this statement, but it really does bring home the horrible impact of the ECB's actions).

Grizzzly

Grizzers 22 October, 2019 21:04
George Dobell's hard hitting evidence to the inquiry:

[data.parliament.uk]

Hopefully GD will soon receive a richly deserved Knighthood.

Grizzzly

WyvernRose 23 October, 2019 05:07
Quote:
Grizzzly
Thanks for the link SLLL.
Shocking to hear AN say that there will be no first team cricket at Taunton in July and August. (No doubt the downgraded 50 over competition is excluded from this statement, but it really does bring home the horrible impact of the ECB's actions).

Grizzzly

Well, it is now a "development" competition. Overseas players aren't permitted, Somerset will be missing many first team players, it doesn't look much like a first team comp.

Sloop John B 23 October, 2019 08:00
That is brilliant from George Dobell. Excoriating

Mike TA1 23 October, 2019 15:02
I love watching the people sat behind Graves and Harrison, there is a lot of frowns and shaking of heads.

Mike TA1 23 October, 2019 21:24
Harrison questioned on the budget for the 100 rubbish. [www.espncricinfo.com]

Now there is a man too afraid to give a straight answer. Watch the man on the left, he found it very amusing.

Grizzers 24 October, 2019 05:44
Yes Mike, a less than convincing exercise in avoiding giving a straight answer.

Meantime, I notice Colin Graves threw in a comment concerning the likelihood of at least two more franchises in due course. See the final sentence of this report:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Grizzzly

Bagpuss 24 October, 2019 06:24
BBC announcing this morning their listening figures for TMS's coverage on 5LiveSX of world cup and Ashes 2.2M weekly - up by 50%. More evidence cricket isn't dying, it just needs exposure to get people interested. This is Test cricket and 50 over cricket. Not some weird new format designed for those with hypothetical poor attention spans. Wouldn't mind betting a fair few if those 2.2M each week were.....women.

A shame these figures emerged a day too late fir the DCMS session.

Somerset LaLaLa 24 October, 2019 10:58
Somewhat different report on the outcome of the meeting to that from the Bias Broadcasting Corporation

[www.theguardian.com]
[www.bbc.co.uk]

BeefyRoberts 24 October, 2019 11:46
Attended the meeting yesterday,and your man,Andy Nash was brilliant.I could feel the two ecb fidgety on the back row.
Was a good turn out in the public area,and 5 of us had the Oppose the 100 t-shirts or polo shirt on.
T-shirt wearers asked to cover up during meeting,but,the chair did explain as to why...no slogans can be worn it's a house rule and regulations
There is a ,link on cricinfo for the meeting,I'm sure one of you can add it,my PC skills are not that good,its worth the read.
But yea,Andy Nash was brilliant.
Harrison,what a slippery eel he really is,he came upto us before the meeting,shaking our hands and saying 'thanks for coming along'....he couldn't off missed all the t-shirts and polo shirt!

Beefy,MTWD

hantssabre 24 October, 2019 12:27
Were you sat next to the guy in the pin stripe suit wearing the MCC tie and handkerchief? Watched it all online and agree about Andy Nash but Harrison was just awful, Graves not much better

Mike TA1 24 October, 2019 13:02
For those who didn't watch it and would like to, here is the link. [parliamentlive.tv]

Edit- You will notice one of those wearing a tee-shirt “oppose to the hundred” at the start, later on they were asked to cover-up them up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2019 13:06 by Mike TA1.

cricketharris 24 October, 2019 15:15
Thank you very much for that link, Mike. Lovely to watch the rather lovely women in the white shirt in the second row for an hour or two. Some of the chat was very interesting too but it was all rather a waste of everyones time I’ll wager.

BeefyRoberts 24 October, 2019 16:06
I was sat out of camera view,as you looked at broadcast to the right,behind the ladies World Cup trophy.As wearing on oppose the 100 polo shirt,thought I got away with it,but covered up in 2nd inns just to be sure!

That Bloke With The Dog 24 October, 2019 19:32
Harrison asserted that research undertaken by the ECB - that the average cricket fan today was 50 years old, and fans were 77% male and 82% white British - showed the need for a new competition.

In the 2011 census, the White British population was 51,736,290, 81.9% of the UK total population . So what's the problem then?

(Well, we know the problem: the same census showed the White British population in Greater London to be only 44.9%, and Greater London is, of course, the only region of the country of any concern.)

Tractor 25 October, 2019 21:31
In the Cricketer report of the meeting, they list a few of the consequences of The H-thing, one of which is the "slashing points available for Championship games". Is this true, or just speculation?

Grizzers 26 October, 2019 10:17
I thought it was just something that the 'wheelie bin' was musing about, haven't seen any other reports about fundamental rule changes.

In what other sport would fans, teams and players alike not know the rules just six months before the season ?

Grizzers

Loyal of Lhasa 26 October, 2019 12:30
In view of England's performance in today's rugby semi-final against New Zealand it is clearly high time that future matches should consist of ten players per side, playing twenty minutes each way.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net