Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
It's 2017 all over again - The 2017 Season Farmer White reports
Discussion started by Farmer White , 04 November, 2019 00:00
It's 2017 all over again - The 2017 Season Farmer White reports
Farmer White 04 November, 2019 00:00
For those who can bear re-living the 2017 season I will be gradually adding all my 2017 grockles match reports - all three formats - to my website through the winter. I did not write reports on every match in 2017 and many reports take a look at a slice of a day of cricket rather than a whole day as my reports do now. The reports, some textual tidying apart, are as they were written, and they say what they said at the time.. "Very brave, Minister." is a phrase which springs to mind but they are what they are. Where I did not write a report there is a brief resume of the play.

The reports are set out with subsequently written contextual and explanantory information because at this distance in time the details of the match and its context may not be at the forefront of the mind. The original reports appear in a darker font and are contained within quotation marks to differentiate them from the additional contextual information.

To set the context for the 2017 season the first set of 'reports' are the among the very first ones I posted on this site beginning on the last two days of the 2016 season and during the few days afterwards. They refer to the end of the 2016 County Championship - if anyone can bear it again. County Championship reports will appear on my site a complete match at a time I will add a link to the relevant post on this thread. I will not be putting the reports on here because the originals are still on this site and because they would very quickly clog up the thread on phones.

Here is the link direct to the end of 2016:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 09:24 by Farmer White.

Re: It's 2017 all over again - Historic Farmer White reports
Scrumper 04 November, 2019 01:06
Arthur Scargill.

Re: It's 2017 all over again - The 2017 Season Farmer White reports
Des Platt 04 November, 2019 17:30
Hope you do the Scarborough game Farmer. Having been there and really enjoyed it, I would look forward to that.

Farmer White 04 November, 2019 18:00
Des

There will be reports on a couple of days of the Scarborough match but .... I wasn't there. In fact I have only been to Scarborough once but not to watch cricket. From recollection the reports were more a review of the match in the context of Somerset's desperate position in the Championship at the time. The match was some way into the season so the reports will not appear for a couple of months or so yet. I haven't re-read them so when I get there I will be interested to see how wide of the mark my thoughts were. I suspect I will discover I am a not a prophet! In fact I have already discovered that in the 2017 reports already published.

Farmer

Farmer White 09 November, 2019 22:21
Somerset v Essex CC - April 2017

The link below is to the homepage of my website. The article I have just posted at the top contains my grockles reports on the first match of the 2017 season v Essex. There are reports on the first two days of the match. The third day was spent travelling to London for a quinquenniel folk concert which I never miss even though it has twice fallen during Somerset's first match of the season. So, no report on the third day but there is a brief summary.

During the match a presentation was made to Marcus Trescothick to mark his 25th season with Somerset.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 18 November, 2019 00:22
Lancashire v Somerset - April 2017

Somerset's second match of the 2017 season was against Lancashire at Old Trafford. I did not attend. Instead I laid a patio whilst listening to the online commentary of the match. I wrote a report of the experience, followed, after the second day, by an even more offbeat post. By the third day, 12-hour days laying a patio in heavy clay soil took its toll, and so there are brief summaries of the final two days (of cricket).

This link will take you straight to the reports and summary:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

And for those interested in totally irrelevant trivia, that tops a third of a million words on my site.

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2019 00:47 by Farmer White.

Farmer White 01 December, 2019 00:43
After defeats in the first two Championship matches of the 2017 season, both from potentially winning positions, Somerset moved onto the group stages of the Royal London One Day Cup. The link below takes you my reports on three of those matches, all won. They include my take on Roelof van der Merwe's astonishing 165 not out against Surrey, and one of Somerset's most complete 50-over victories, against Glamorgan at Cardiff. The link below will take you direct to the reports set in, given the passage of time, some additional contextual information.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 09 December, 2019 13:51
The final three matches of the group stages of the 2017 Royal London Cup.

Includes Adam Hose's outstanding century at Bristol, how long ago does that seem now?

Also, following the complete washout at Lord's, a look back to the 1977 Gillette Cup Final, washed out on five successive days, and settled over 15 overs after a rescheduling, which may have had a direct influence on the destination of that year's County Championship. The white ball displacing the red ball is not a new phenomenon, even if the sheer enormity of the current displacement is. That a semi-final could displace the Championship in 1977 shows what major events semi-finals were in those days.

It was a seismic day, for Elvis Presley had died the night before.

The link below will take you direct to the reports concerned.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 16 December, 2019 00:15
CC 2017 Somerset v Warwickshire at Taunton.

Somerset returned to the Championship after qualifying for the quarter-finals of the Royal London One-Day Cup in May 2017. The poor Championship form of the batsmen continued as Somerset found themselves battling against a third successive defeat when Warwickshire visited Taunton. The poor start to the Championship season had resulted in alarm among supporters. The match reports on this match reflected that as much as they did the cricket and tried to look possible reasons for the poor start, at least as they seemed at the time. This link will take you straight to the reports:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 23 December, 2019 00:10
CC 2017. Somerset v Hampshire at Taunton.

Somerset’s dismal start to the 2017 Championship season continued with a third defeat in the first four matches. The cricket is described but the reports also reflect the lively debate among supporters about the reasons for the slump and thoughts about the possible solutions. Different times to some of the heights of 2018 and 2019 and a different type of report.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 29 December, 2019 23:18
Somerset’s fifth County Championship match of the 2017 season after three defeats and a desperate draw. For the first time in 2017, Somerset got the better of a Championship match, although the first victory of the season remained elusive. Lewis Gregory made a stunning maiden first-class century and was inolved in a huge partnership with Dean Elgar who made 158. The debate about the fragility of the Somerset batting continues. The reports starts with a match preview which looks back at a fighting Somerset draw at Lord’s in 2013.

The match report itself includes a description of what it was like to be in London during the first London Bridge terrorist attack which took place during the course of this match.

As always the original reports are in a darker font and begin and end with quotation marks.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 05 January, 2020 09:35
The reports on: CC 2017. Somerset v Yorkshire. Taunton.

This was Somerset’s sixth Championship match of the 2017 season. They had suffered three defeats and were still seeking their first victory. The preceding match, against Middlesex at Lord’s, had been the first in which Somerset had outplayed the opposition although they had been unable to force a victory. Yorkshire provided the next opposition, at Taunton. It proved to be the closest of close matches.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 12 January, 2020 00:03
The report on the 2017 Royal London One-Day Cup quarter-final at Taunton v Nottinghamshire, which came hot on the heels of the Yorkshire Championship match. Another nail-biter. Over 800 runs in under 100 overs. Dean Elgar, Johannes Myburgh, Peter Trego et al.

The link to the report is here:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2020 00:06 by Farmer White.

Farmer White 19 January, 2020 00:23
After the flood of runs in the RLODC quarter-final against Nottinghamshire the 2017 season moved onto the avalanche of wickets and dire weather of the pink ball Championship match at Southampton. With some contextual comments and opinion added during the winter after the 2017 season there is also an attempt at a light-hearted 'pink ball' poem, and a report on the first day of the match when most of the cricket was played. The experience of watching cricket 'out of time' also features.

Here is the link direct to the post - Pink Ball Blues - on my website:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 26 January, 2020 00:24
Finally, at the beginning of July, Somerset's first Championship victory of the 2017 season. The Miracle of Scarborough I called it at the time. Crucial, and in the nick of time, in terms of avoiding relegation. I did not travel to Scarborough but wrote a report on how I saw the first day of play from "253 miles behind fine leg". After the match I wrote an asessment of where the team were and how I thought things were shaping up for the future. "History on the turn" I thought it felt at the time. Here is the link direct to the report and to the review on my website:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 01 February, 2020 19:42
On my website 2017 has reached the T20 section of the season. Not everyone's cup of tea but the occasion was spectacular, as was the match and Corey Anderson, in his first match for Somerset, played as spectacular a T20 innings as anyone is ever likely to see. There are references to Beau Nash, Henry Fielding, cricket at Hambledon and even a Diversity Festival at Barnstaple ...

The link direct to the report is here:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Des Platt 02 February, 2020 16:22
Quote:
Farmer White
Finally, at the beginning of July, Somerset's first Championship victory of the 2017 season. The Miracle of Scarborough I called it at the time. Crucial, and in the nick of time, in terms of avoiding relegation. I did not travel to Scarborough but wrote a report on how I saw the first day of play from "253 miles behind fine leg". After the match I wrote an asessment of where the team were and how I thought things were shaping up for the future. "History on the turn" I thought it felt at the time. Here is the link direct to the report and to the review on my website:
[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Whilst I fear to tread in your territory Farmer White, as my writing is not in the same class, I thought you might be interested to read my comments on that game. I’m pretty sure the site can only be accessed with a password so have pasted full thread separately on a new thread

Farmer White 04 February, 2020 09:47
Somerset played Essex in a T20 match at Chelmsford in 2017. I didn’t travel to the match. Instead, by way of a preview, I posted a description of my reluctant introduction to T20 cricket, and Kieron Pollard, at Beckenham in 2010; and my recollections of Somerset T20 matches I had subsequently seen at Chelmsford during my eastern exile. During those matches I witnessed an overpowering innings from Marcus Trescothick, an astonishing one from Chris Gayle and, at Beckenham, perhaps the moment which led to Peter Trego batting in the top three in T20 for Somerset. There is a brief note on the 2017 match at Chelmsford.

Here is the link direct to the article on my website:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 05 February, 2020 23:34
After two defeats and the worst of an abandoned match at Cardiff at the start of the 2017 T20 campaign, Somerset travelled to Uxbridge. A stunning start from Gregory, a big contribution from Hose, an explosive innings from Hildreth, a key intervention with the ball from Craig Overton, and an outstanding game of T20 cricket played in a County Championship atmosphere. A tempest of magic and mayhem.

The link to my report on the match is here:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 09 February, 2020 21:42
A report on a classic T20 encounter with Middlesex at Taunton in 2017:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 15 February, 2020 23:45
Another 2017 T20 match - against Surrey - and another nailbiter:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 24 February, 2020 21:27
Somerset v Surrey. Taunton. CC. 7-10 August 2017.

After a clutch of T20 matches Somerset returned to the Championship for one match - against Surrey at Taunton - still in deep relegation trouble even after the stunning victory at Scarborough. Lewis Gregory, who had captained the team at Scarborough after Tom Abell had dropped himself because of poor form, was unable to play because of an injury which was expected to keep him out for the rest of the season. Tom Abell returned as captain with a score of 96. There was also a big century for Steven Davies after a poor season with the bat and wickets for Dom Bess. There are reports now on my website on all three days of the match via this link:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 28 February, 2020 23:39
This match, which contained a spectacular innings from Johannes Myburgh, came towards the end of Somerset’s 2017 T20 campaign. Somerset needed a win to sustain their challenge for a place in the quarter-finals. The match was decided off the last ball.

NatWest T20 Blast. Taunton. 13th August 2017. Somerset v Glamorgan.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 07 March, 2020 22:59
Somerset's last T20 match of 2017. A quarter-final at Trent Bridge. A defeat in the end, but a tremendous attempt to defend an inadequate total through a tremendous performance with the ball.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2020 22:44 by Farmer White.

Farmer White 11 March, 2020 23:11
As 2017 moved into the business end of the County Championship Somerset remained rooted in seventh place, one place off the bottom and one of the two relegation slots. This match, the first of the final five Championship matches of the season, was against title-chasing Essex at Chelmsford. For those with memories of Chelmsford 2019 it will be a case of deja vu, and a demonstration of how a Championship-winning team responds under pressure. The link direct to the match report on my website is here:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 13 March, 2020 23:24
In more settled times the 2017 County Championship was moving towards a conclusion. There were four matches left and Somerset were still a long way adrift in the relegation zone as the team travelled to Edgbaston. A win for Somerset was desperately needed. Each team played two spinners, and there was an astonishing innings from Trescothick.

I could not travel to the match, but wrote a full report through listening to the commentary and watching an early version of the now ubiquitous live stream. The picture was about three inches by two but strangely enthralling. Or perhaps enthralling cricket holds the attention however small the picture. There is also some reference to childhood days trying to keep up with the score of a match through the stop press of successive editions of the evening paper on Exmouth sea front.

I wrote a single report covering the entire match. The link below is to the report on my website:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White 15 March, 2020 14:50
With just three matches to the conclusion of the 2017 Championship, and Somerset still deep in the relegation zone, Lancashire, still with an outside chance of overhauling Essex at the top of the table, visited Taunton. It was a 'must win' match for both sides. I wrote a preview which looked at two final rounds of a season invloving Lancashire and Somerset, and both involving Championships.. 2010, when Nottinghamshire pipped Somerset for the Championship by gaining six bonus points on the final day of the season at Old Trafford; and 2011, when Lancashire won the Championship at Taunton on the final day. Daily reports on the 2017 math will follow.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Des Platt 15 March, 2020 19:27
Great stuff Farmer White.

I’m interested in what you say about the intensity of Sidebottom and Adams. It’s charitable of you to forgive Lancashire and I wasn’t there that day but wanted Somerset to win the championship and have always been somewhat ashamed at our effort. Given that they even got the limpet Chanderpaul out it must’ve been pretty good. I saw Yorkshire clinch the championship at Trent Bridge in 2015 I think it was and again the intensity of Sidebottom and Brooks was up to that of an Australian attack with a snarling surround of close fielders. It is a great thing when you see Test cricket intensity in county cricket.

Re 2011, yet again we see the surrender by a side putting all the fielders back. As you say, it gives the initiative to the batsmen who know the bowlers are not trying to get them out. We actually saw it again in the match that you were previewing. Lancashire stupidly had the field back for much of the time instead of saving ones until Somerset were down to one needed when everyone was brought in. We saw the success of that by the panic it caused in the Somerset batsmen even the ultra cool Jack Leach.

Make the batsmen find gaps; they soon panic after a couple of overs of hitting it straight to fielders.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2020 19:32 by Des Platt.

Farmer White 15 March, 2020 20:15
Thank you Des

From memory, now ten years long, rather than the seven it was when I wrote that piece, the only criticism I felt of Lancahire on the day was that Kerrigan and Keedy didn't seem to know which side of the wicket to bowl to the Nottinghamshire batsmen. That made it difficult to set a field, and allowed the batsmen to push into the gaps and score enough runs at a controlled rate. Not brilliant bowling by those two, but excellently directed batting. Until Kerrigan raised Somerset hopes with those late wickets Nottinghamshire's progress to 400 seemed inexorable. Not good bowling, but I suspect much of that was due to the pressure applied by the batsmen throughout.

Farmer

Farmer White 16 March, 2020 22:42
Somerset's desperate 2017 fight against relegation continued with just three matches remaining. The first day of the 2017 match against Lancashire at Taunton involved a tremendous tussle between the two sides. Somerset emerged slightly ahead it seemed as supporters went home. The Somerset first innings was underpinned by a determined century from Steven Davies. My first day report can be found here:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

My second day report will follow.

Farmer

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net