Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

NZ v England Test Series
Discussion started by Shepton Paul 2 , 20 November, 2019 09:09
NZ v England Test Series
Shepton Paul 2 20 November, 2019 09:09
England XI for tonight:
Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Pope
Stokes
Buttler
Curran
Archer
Leach
Broad

That top three doesn't exactly set the pulses racing, but at least it looks like Test team rather than a few T20 bashers. I really hope Sibley does well, not because I know him or especially rate him, but because it would be a feather in the cap for county cricket and the CC. He has forced his way in by scoring a lot of runs in Div One of the championship, as it should be, not by smashing a few sixes in front of the Sky commentators on a wet Wednesday night at Grace Road (or wherevs...).

I think Jack's role will be to keep the run rate down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 13:37 by Grockle.

Re: NZ v England Test Series
Bagpuss 21 November, 2019 06:10
Sibley off the mark with 4 off his first ball in Test cricket a la Gower. Makes just 22 but a 50+ opening partnership and he looked the part.

We've had so many false dawns I don't even bother setting my alarm clock now but at least these two look like a Test opening partnership and it gives those that follow more of a chance. A half century from Burns, another who had (eventually) got his chance due to repeated weight of runs in the Championship, proving that knowing your game with all its quirks is more important than being in possession of a pretty cover drive or the ability to clear the ropes. And Denly too seems to have something about him and the nous to adapt.

Joe Root should've been in his element, back in his favoured number 4 slot, a hundred on the board and 45 overs of softness into the Kookaburra. Oops.

Just 241 runs off the 90 overs in the day. If that doesn't earn the hashtag #propercricket I don't know what will!

Shepton Paul 2 21 November, 2019 09:08
Yep, Jason Roy, THAT is Test cricket.

I see this morning that Jonathan Agnew, a chief critic of the previous crash-bang approach, has said England could've got on with it a bit more. Ho hum...

Bagpuss 21 November, 2019 09:44
That old "score at 4 an over but don't take any risks and get out" chestnut. Ho hum.

Somerset LaLaLa 21 November, 2019 10:28
Quote:
Bagpuss
Sibley off the mark with 4 off his first ball in Test cricket a la Gower.

Ooh, seems like a good quiz question, who else has done that? Unhelpfully I don't know.

Shepton Paul 2 21 November, 2019 10:51
I saw a list on Sky - about ten England players in last 40 or so years - Woakes was the most recent, and I noticed it included Richard Johnson. Steve Finn said on radio comms his first ball in a Test cricket went for four...😏

Somerset LaLaLa 22 November, 2019 10:19
Drat, went to bed after Jack's innings. Forgot he can bowl as well

Somerset LaLaLa 24 November, 2019 08:17
Copy and pasted from previous thread - "England have to bat all day to save test"

Bagpuss 24 November, 2019 09:44
I'm coming to the conclusion Joe Root really isn't captaincy material. Some odd decisions over last two days. And if he treats Jofra Archer like this over the whole winter I would advise him to sign a white-ball-only contract pdq.

Shepton Paul 2 24 November, 2019 15:13
I agree Baggy. Let JR go back to concentrating on his batting - but not sure who takes over...Stokes is VC and would be a good choice if not for his problems a year ago, though he may be a bit too Bothamesque to be a good captain. Others might be Jos (too introverted, but a good strategist and a calm head) or Denly? Otherwise, goodness knows...of course, Tom Abell would be a great shout.

Shepton Paul 2 25 November, 2019 09:43
England were genuinely terrible last night. On a flat pitch, if very occasionally unreliable - it was day five - facing an attack without Trent Boult, they repeatedly got out playing at balls that would've missed another set of stumps. Yes they would've been tired from 200 overs in the field, and brains get scrambled - but seriously, most of them have had a rest since early September! And this NZ team is good, but not great, and many are the wrong side of 30. If Taylor, Williamson and Boult had beaten England, that wouldn't be so bad, but we were beaten by Watling, Santner and Wagner - good players yes, but genuinely nothing special.

It wasn't the batsmen's fault or the bowlers' fault, it was pretty much all of them (maybe even Jack), plus the coaching team. Other games or series we've lost, I'm generally quite forgiving - but to lose this Test was awful.

Mr Blobby 28 November, 2019 10:21
Sounds like Jack might be dropped for Woakes. With Root hinting recently that Moeen could return for the South Africa tour maybe we'll see more of him than expected next season..

Grockle 28 November, 2019 11:29
Not sure they know what they want presently. Root seemed like a captain without a clue last week. Hooefully this is just a change of direction as Silverwood sets his stall out and we'll see a bit more forward momentum tomorrow.

(Sm72)

RadstockRob 28 November, 2019 21:51
Jack dropped for Woakes So no spinner and 5 quicks. What a joke!

Buttler injured so Pope keeps . He's not kept wicket for Surrey for ages. Why didn't they take Bairstow?

I fear the worst.

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

Shepton Paul 2 28 November, 2019 22:18
Amazing team, as you say Rob. In First Test, seam bowling was awful and batting was worse, so makes perfect sense to me to drop the spinner, obvs.

Nice to know we can give a debut to a batsman who averages 31 in county cricket, most of which was in Div Two. Why is Crawley on the tour?!

RadstockRob 28 November, 2019 22:40
They must think Crawley is a good one to pick him ahead of Jonny Bairstow.

Bagpuss 28 November, 2019 23:28
The traditional response to batting failures is always to drop a bowler.

wsm fan 29 November, 2019 07:31
Moeen will be back in for Dec26 next test match.
They dont trust Jack.
They dont see him as someone who makes things happen.
He will go to SA i imagine but as number 2 for Moeen.
He will go to Sri L March April as we need 3 spinners.

Once Moeen back fully Jack has slim to no chance of playing a home test next summer i fear.

The knock on to this is i very much fear Dom has played his last match for Somerset. Given Jack being back, RVDM & Max being retained for the blast AND most of all the pitch situation, i cant now see how Dom gets a game until late July (by default) in the 50's.
He is out of contract in 10 months & is ambitious.
He has basically said in interviews he will not be a number 2 for another season.
We appear to have done little to show Dom he is in our short/medium term plans.
A way to keep him would be to have let Max or RVDM go & assure Dom a blast spot.
We have chosen not to (i like Max & Rvdm) but 4 spinners happy is unsustainable.
We were always going to lose 1 at some point, and our decisions were going to determine which one.

Should this happen it will be down to Hurry/Kerr. Not unfortunate circumstances.

We also only have 5 senior fast bowlers on the books now, 3 of which are out of contract also in 10 months. If those arent signed in the coming 2 or 3 months we really could be in a spot of bother.....

The pitch situation means a net gain of 1 seamer spot required near enough for me next season. We cant play 2 spinners again until 2022 so will need 4 quicks in every champo match, maybe even 5!

hantssabre 29 November, 2019 08:29
Agree WSM with the Jack scenario. Don’t think Root rates him or he isn’t part of the clique so don’t think he’s got a chance of playing any more home Tests other than maybe through injury.

Railboy 29 November, 2019 18:21
Quote:
wsm fan

Should this happen it will be down to Hurry/Kerr. Not unfortunate circumstances.
5!

Somewhat harsh there WSM, it is unfortunate (for Dom) that Jack appears to have a limited summer future with England, and unfortunate for Dom that spin bowling has been outlawed at Taunton.
But most importantly, it is up to Dom to prove to those you have listed that he is the best option available in the circumstance. Can you honestly say he has done that in the last 2 seasons?

wsm fan 29 November, 2019 18:37
He has not been given the opportunity in white ball......

It is a difficult situation and i like Max & RVDM but the DOC is there to manage tough situations.

Would we prefer 10/12 years of Dom or another 2 or 3 of RVDM?
Same goes for Max, he is now a 1 format player.
An absolute fans favourite.
BUT if playing Dom in 14 blast games next summer helps him stay would that not be worth letting Max go for?

Tough but the above is down to Hurry/Kerr to manage.

My point was it's a situation we can effect by the way we manage it.

The Jos/Kieswetter situation was different in only 1 can keep at a time so no real solution there sadly.

At Dom's age & potential i personally would prefer to keep him happy even if it meant losing Max or RVDM.
That still.may not be enough with Jack the clwar red ball number 1 but it would at least show willing on our part.

Grockle 29 November, 2019 21:42
Yep have to agree with the assessment. If Dom wants to be a spinner then move or take wickets. If he wants to play for Somerset regularly get some battong done.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2019 16:13 by Grockle.

Bagpuss 30 November, 2019 07:59
Meanwhile Jack Leach has been admitted to hospital in New Zealand suffering with gastroenteritis.

RadstockRob 02 December, 2019 06:55
Bumble said on commentary that Jack should be leaving hospital today.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net