Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
England tour to South Africa
Discussion started by Bagpuss , 07 December, 2019 16:10
England tour to South Africa
Bagpuss 07 December, 2019 16:10
James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow and Mark Wood are recalled for the *four*-Test series in South Africa that gets underway in *Centurion* on Boxing Day. Whilst Anderson is back to full fitness Wood is not expected to be fit to play in the early matches.

Saqib Nahmood is the only squad member from the recent New Zealand tour to miss out, whilst Moeen Ali was declared as unavailable for selection.

Joe Root
Rory Burns
Dom Sibley
Joe Denly
Zac Crawley
Ollie Pope
Ben Stokes
Jonny Bairstow
Jos Buttler
Sam Curran
Chris Woakes
Jofra Archer
James Anderson
Stuart Broad
Mark Wood
Jack Leach
Matt Parkinson

(Edited to correct tour schedule inaccuracies)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2020 14:53 by Grockle.

Re: England tour to South Africa
hantssabre 07 December, 2019 21:31
No doubt Mo will be available when we play in Sri Lanka

Grockle 08 December, 2019 00:11
No Foakes despite keeper issues?

(Sm72)

hantssabre 08 December, 2019 09:21
We’ve got 3 keepers in the squad, surely that’s enough?

Grockle 08 December, 2019 13:31
Not if you leave out the best, one was dropped for lack of form and another is a stand in part timer. But I'm sure they know best.

(Sm72)

Grockle 26 December, 2019 09:57
Not sure why they called Overton and Bess out to South Africs. They played 5 seamers and Dom isn't even in the discussions about Leachy being ill. All about why they didn't take a punt on Parkinsom.

Bit of a holiday for our boys it seems.

(Sm72)

mikeindex 26 December, 2019 12:20
...and having left out Jack and decided to bowl first, Root is now bowling himself after just 40 overs or so, and has 3-0-21-0.

mikeindex 26 December, 2019 12:22
(And Radio 5 Sports Extra is covering the Australian Big Bash rather than the Test).

wsm fan 26 December, 2019 12:25
Radio coverage is talksport2

Grockle 26 December, 2019 13:36
Quentin de Koch is on 70 with Vernon 'Zummerzet' Philander on 5

(Sm72)

Scrumper 27 December, 2019 00:51
https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?attachments/7425/

somexile 27 December, 2019 14:20
Could South Africa be docked 12 points in the test championship for producing a pitch on day 2 with uneven bounce?

Grockle 27 December, 2019 15:19
They could if they joined the UK CC1, called themselves a province and came from the South.

(Sm72)

Des Platt 27 December, 2019 20:05
Quote:
somexile
Could South Africa be docked 12 points in the test championship for producing a pitch on day 2 with uneven bounce?

😀was thinking exactly the same when I saw highlights on news before

Loyal of Lhasa 27 December, 2019 20:17
Several batsmen were caught behind the wicket today. Where did the awful and inelegant new phrase - "the batsman nicked off" - come from? It seems to be used increasingly by commentators.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Farmer White 27 December, 2019 23:07
LoL

The phrase has been around for some time, although I know nothing of its origin. I first came across it when it was used by Mark Turner, then with Derbyshire, when Derbyshire won promotion to the first division (2012). He tweeted he intended to inflict said fate on Marcus Trescothick when Derbyshire and Somerset met in 2013. I recall Steffan Jones, who had by then retired from the first-class game, tweeting a reply. In effect he asked Turner, rather more pithily than I am able to recall, how he proposed to manage it against Trescothick. I imagine therefore it was at least becoming currency among cricketers then.

Such is the cricketing detritus I carry around in my mind, but if the phrase is still in use after seven years I suspect it is here to stay.

Farmer.

Loyal of Lhasa 28 December, 2019 11:40
Given the sorry state of the recent governance of South African cricket, I can't help feeling that the performance of the ci=ountry's team in this match can do nothing but good.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

AGod 29 December, 2019 12:10
I understand that Somerset's newest recruit has bowled brilliantly in this match, to date.

Just my luck then that I've finally been able to watch some of it in the past hour ... and Vernon has bowled like a drain with the second new ball......

... still best he get this spell out of his system before Taunton!!!

AGod 29 December, 2019 12:51
A decent second innings batting performance, really, by England.

Bowling not good enough and a very poor decision at the toss, plus the predictable first-innings fold job.

Heavily beaten by a side that had lost five successive Tests.

England remain a poor Test side, overall.

Grizzers 29 December, 2019 23:26
George Dobell nails it once again, highlighting how the ECB’s nonsensical strategy re the Championship has directly contributed to the failings of the England Test team.

He also gives a taste of the welcome changes needed if things are to improve.

The second article is an encouraging one for Dom Bess, albeit somewhat concerning regarding Jack Leach:

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Grizzers

Grockle 30 December, 2019 01:24
Yes Dom being called an 'allrounder' tends to suggest the way thatb England would want to go.

I'm also pleased that Dom"s bowling has 'improved' because he has never been the bowler he was pre his Test debut since it. I hope Herath hss had an effect because there is little use in sorting out the batting consistency if Dom doesn't take wickets.

I don't think anyone is really sure why Parkinson became a flavour of the selectors so Take your chance young Bess if they offer it.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2019 01:26 by Grockle.

Loyal of Lhasa 30 December, 2019 12:34
It was being suggested by yesterday's commentary team that it might make sense to allow Leach, when well enough, to go home to facilitate his recovery before the Sri Lanka tour.

wsm fan 30 December, 2019 13:20
If Dom plays tests in SA and Sri Lanka how keen will he be to play Somerset 2s at the Vale in April & May.....

cricketjerry-mouse 30 December, 2019 14:21
Vernon Philander`s strong performance in the First Test has moved him up three places to No.5 in the Test bowling league table. Australia`s Pat Cummins is at No.1.

Impressively, with the Somerset lower order in mind this summer, Philander remains at No.5 in the Test all-rounders stakes, topped by Jason Holder from the West Indies.

Grockle 30 December, 2019 17:34
Dom will get a first team place if he offers something Somerset needs. If he doesn't or someone offers more then he works harder or moves. It has always been that way and shouldn't change.

There is more to working for a first team place than where you make your mark as someone outside the top eleven players. If you aren't prepared to put in the work at Taunton Vale then maybe Taunton Vale isn't for you. It has been good enough for players of higher international reputation and I'm sure Dom is aware of that.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2019 17:40 by Grockle.

Scrumper 01 January, 2020 23:50
From Taunton Vale to Table Mountain?

Grockle 02 January, 2020 02:53
Hopefully

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse 02 January, 2020 15:47
Rory Burns - when will they ever learn?

Des Platt 02 January, 2020 19:53
Quote:
Grockle

I don't think anyone is really sure why Parkinson became a flavour of the selectors so Take your chance young Bess if they offer it.

I could see the article about county cricket and test cricket in general but couldn’t see the one about Dom and Jack.

Parkinson is an excellent bowler ( 62 wickets at 25, economy 3.09 is pretty good for a young leggie) but is very unlikely to get the chance to bowl enough overs to learn his trade properly under this corrupt tinpot cricket fixture set up. George Dobell mentions that he is not a County regular like Dom but what chance has a legspinner got of becoming a regular with April and September cricket?

I saw quite a bit of him in second-team Cricket and he was clearly going to be good if given the chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2020 19:57 by Des Platt.

Grizzers 02 January, 2020 20:17
Try this link for the article about Dom & Jack, Des:

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Meanwhile Burns out for the series with ligament damage. Not a happy situation for sure.

Grizzers

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net