Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Team of the Decade
Discussion started by Grockle , 14 December, 2019 22:47
Team of the Decade
Grockle 14 December, 2019 22:47
Have you been on the club site and had a go at the team of the decad?

Who would be your 'non negotiables'?

I found some very difficult decisions involved.

I started to wonder how the team of the 90's would fare against that from the noughties and the one from the past decade

I can only see one player being in all of them I think but do we pick the player as they were at the start, end or middle of the decade? Pretty subjective in some cases.

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/12/2019 14:31 by Grockle.

Re: Team of the Decade
RadstockRob 15 December, 2019 02:37
Off the top of my head in 5 minutes I've came up with this eleven.

1 Trescothick
2 Elgar
3 Kieswetter (wk)
4 Hildreth
5 Buttler
6 Abell
7 Trego
8 Gregory
9 Overton C
10 Leach
11 Overton J
Pretty good side.

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

Grockle 15 December, 2019 08:30
Yep though I'd go with Alf and Charl and lose Elgar (the site offered Chris Rogers only) to get Zander in meaning Tom opens.

(Sm72)

sfwithers 15 December, 2019 11:19
I think my team was

Marcus Trescothick
Tom Abell
James Hildreth
Jos Buttler
Craig Kieswetter
Zander de Bruyn
Lewis Gregory
Peter Trego
Alfonso Thomas
Jack Leach
Charl Willoughy

Similar batting/all-rounders to RadstockRob's but different bowling - when I last looked Jack Leach had 100% of the spin bowler votes. I was disappointed to leave out the Overtons, who could easily replace Thomas and Willoughby. I'd love to have seen that batting line-up in either four-day or one-day competitions. With Trego and Gregory at 7 and 8 you'd reckon there's be runs...

Grockle 15 December, 2019 13:56
Exactly the same sfwithers. I couldn't leave Alf and Charl out though but you'd have em as a pair so both Overtons missed out. They'll be certainties for the 20s side though.

The question is though whether Alf, Charl and Zander's exploits are just imprinted in your mind and they may not have been as good as you remember.

(Sm72)

RadstockRob 15 December, 2019 21:59
I haven't read the club site. I originally picked an all "English" team with Arul opening with back up spin. I haven't picked a skipper either. I'd give it to Tres with Hildy as vice capt.

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

sfwithers 15 December, 2019 22:20
I didn't check Zander's record but I did look at Willoughby and Thomas's career averages before making my decisions – I really couldn't be bothered to break that down by year or team and I think any combination of Willoughby/Thomas/Cove/Jove would be very decent. Zander brings a batting average of near 40 and some bowling into the mix. And while the figures may or may not back Trego he was always going to be in my team!!

Grockle 22 December, 2019 22:39
James Hildreth it seems is not good enough to be in the Wisden County Championship team of the decade.

Ah well. Overlooked once again

Trescothick
Burns
Joyce
Ballance
Ten Deoschate
Stevens
Read
Hamer
Murtagh
J Patel
Onions

Some interesting misses there.

(Sm72)

AGod 29 December, 2019 12:47
Team was, presumably, picked entirely on stats, without much thought to the balance of the team.

I say this mainly because, balance of team wise, there's very little pace or bounce in that team. It's right arm medium-fast swing bowlers and a pair of off-spinners. Very little in the way of variety.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net