Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
2020 SOMERSET PLAYERS OLD AND NEW
Discussion started by Grockle , 01 January, 2020 22:59
2020 SOMERSET PLAYERS OLD AND NEW
Grockle 01 January, 2020 22:59
Happy New Year and decade one and all

(Sm72)

Re: 2020 SOMERSET PLAYERS OLD AND NEW
Grizzers 01 January, 2020 23:51
Echo that Grockle. Hopefully 2020 will bring further good things to SCCC.

Interesting article in The Guardian re D Bess. Makes reference to Kent “sniffing around”, but also Jason Kerr’s desire to find a way of keeping him at Somerset:

[www.theguardian.com]

Grizzers

Grockle 02 January, 2020 02:54
Yorkshire also 'sniffed' and he's still here. But either Leachy has to lose form, become absolutely in dispensible to England or Dom has to bat top 6!!

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2020 21:48 by Grockle.

Roger ivanhoe 02 January, 2020 14:05
Kent had Ollie Rayner on loan for part of last season, then in September signed
the 19 year old Afghanistan-born off spinner Hamidullah Qadri having come through the youth ranks at Derbyshire.
Matt Walker Kent Coach said of the signing " We’re signing what we think is a first-team ready bowler at this stage that can grow within this young bowling attack and fit in seamlessly".
So it might not be the best move for Dom to consider, if the rumour is correct.

mikeindex 06 January, 2020 10:39
Apparently Tom Banton has just hit the fastest 50 in the history of the Big Bash, off 16 balls including five sixes in a row.

hantssabre 06 January, 2020 11:06
56 off 19 balls with 7 sixes in an 8 over slog. Match now delayed by rain. Surely Australia need the rain more than the cricket right now

cricketjerry-mouse 06 January, 2020 11:44
And didn`t Tommy, as the `men of the people` Australian commentators insist on calling him, comes across well in his man-of-the-match interview afterwards, including his reference to Matt Renshaw`s time with Somerset..

Tractor 10 January, 2020 14:45
Renshaw and Banton combine for this 'catch' in the BBL.

Sloop John B 10 January, 2020 16:38
I watched it live and was horrified that the law allows a fielder step out of the field of play jump to pat the ball back infield to be 'caught' by another fielder. The law is an ass!

Loyal of Lhasa 10 January, 2020 16:57
I may be confused, but I thought I heard the off-field umpire say it was not out.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grockle 10 January, 2020 17:05
The argument was about where the catch started. Renshaw started infield and it seems the rules therefore assume he was 'eligible'

Have to say, the levwl of awareness was exceptional

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe 29 January, 2020 14:09
Roelof van der Merwe has been named by Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) in their squad which will tour Pakistan next month.

Former Somerset CCC CEO and current MCC Chief Executive & Secretary, Guy Lavender will accompany the squad as Team Manager, with MCC Head Coach Ajmal Shahzad providing coaching.

Odd Guy Lavender going as Team Manager, must be his former Army lieutenant colonel background.

AGod 30 January, 2020 14:57
Yeah, "Team Manager," likely to mean, in reality "In charge of the logistics," i.e make sure the team get from A to B on time, without losing their bags, whilst staying within budget , make sure the team stay in hotels with good enough facilities, organise security etc.

Loyal of Lhasa 30 January, 2020 16:04
.., and as a military man he will probably demand that the players look smart in public!

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Farmer White 31 January, 2020 11:32
Philander confirmed for two years:

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

Farmer

hantssabre 02 February, 2020 08:24
According to the Times today, in 2021 Kolpak players will only be allowed to play as overseas so not sure Vernon will be here for 2 years! There is talk that 2 overseas players will be allowed in all competitions in 2021 so I guess he could still fill one of those positions?

Not sure where that leaves players on an EU passport?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 08:30 by hantssabre.

Grockle 02 February, 2020 11:41
In the EU probably

(Sm72)

Scrumper 02 February, 2020 13:57
Is Roelof Kolpak?

hantssabre 02 February, 2020 19:40
Roelof is Dutch isn’t he?

Grockle 03 February, 2020 00:38
That's who he plays international stuff for now so.... Yeah

(Sm72)

Railboy 04 February, 2020 09:48
I thought I had read that players currently engaged as Kolpaks would be granted immunity from any new regulations. Not that anything that comes out of the ECB yesterday has any bearing on today

Clarence Parker 06 February, 2020 18:41
I was sorry that Paul Van Meekeren was released by Somerset at the end of last season, because I thought that he had potential and also he appeared to be a thoroughly decent man who 'bought into' the ethos of the club. However, the club decided that they had enough pace bowlers within the set - up and wished him well for the future (as do I) upon not renewing his contract.

I heard whispers that he was in some early stage discussions with both Gloucestershire and Leicestershire. I hope that something comes out of this or with another county.

It would be nice to think that he could still find another opening in our first class game.

Wickham 06 February, 2020 21:11
I agree with all your points, CP. I remember a very friendly conversation with him at the Oval - and watching him bowling in very promising fashion at, I think, Colchester or Chelmsford.

Farmer White 06 February, 2020 23:03
CP, I too was encouraged with what I saw of Paul van Meekeren and also found him very friendly when I spoke with him once at Taunton.

Wickham, I think you are referring to Chelmsford, June 2017. I have a similar memory and so dug out my report of the match. There are these two references to van Meekeren, written at the time:

In the first innings when he took 4 for 60: " Van Meekeren, bowling with real pace and some movement clearly troubled the Essex batsmen."

And in the Essex second innings, after Somerset had led on first innings by five runs, and Essex looked to have "decided to win the match", I wrote this: "At around 70 for 3 Wheater edged a flier from van Meekeren over slip. Hildreth got enough hand on it to parry it upwards but too far back for anyone to reach. The actual ‘catch’ was obscured from me by a fielder, so whether Hildreth might have caught it I cannot say. Apart from that those two batsmen [Browne and Wheater] and Ten Doeschate simply, calmly took command of the match." A 'what might have been' moment perhaps.

Farmer

Mike TA1 07 February, 2020 08:34
I was speaking to Paul a few days ago, he did mention Leicester as a possibility.

He has just had a groin operation, it couldn't have been must because he was walking ok.

He is a very nice chap, he first saw me the other side of the road, he waited until I crossed the road to shake hands with me.

Somerset LaLaLa 07 February, 2020 10:07
When we were playing Weston at Devonshire Road a few years back, I recall him being very engaging with the spectators. Wonderful atmosphere there and is a thoroughly nice guy. Trego keeping and Maynard batting if I remember correctly

Roger ivanhoe 11 February, 2020 11:41
Gloucestershire have signed West Indies paceman Jerome Taylor on a three-year deal, to play in all forms of the game.

The 35-year-old, who was a member of the Windies' 2016 World T20-winning squad, moves across the West Country, having played T20 cricket for Somerset for the last two years.

Gloucestershire head coach Richard Dawson said: "Jerome will add pace and international experience to the attack.

Wow!!! and a three year deal also, Glad we missed out on that signing.

Bagpuss 23 February, 2020 07:07
The Pakustan Super League is underway. Tom Banton currently the only English Somerset player in the tournament, 16 runs from his two matches underwhelming, plus two catches (as an outfielder) and the run out of Somerset's overseas player Babar Azam.

For anyone interested in dropping in to watch, the PSL is televised in the UK on Hum Masala, Sky 732.

Grockle 23 February, 2020 16:20
Is it on any of the main SKY Channels Bag? The U19 was on SKY Mix Do you know if any of them are showing these games?

(Sm72)

Grizzers 23 February, 2020 17:14
It's live right now on Willow TV here in Canada.

Not sure if that's available in the UK, or online maybe.

Grizzers

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net