Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

2017 Des’s view of Scarborough miracle
Discussion started by Des Platt , 02 February, 2020 16:31
2017 Des’s view of Scarborough miracle
Des Platt 02 February, 2020 16:31
Whilst I fear to tread in your territory Farmer White, as my writing is not in the same class, I thought you might be interested to read my comments on that game. I have pasted the full thread as think you have to have password to read Lancs Forum
really sorry about format . Am trying to make it better but iPad is so skittish highlighting sections of text. I’ve tried to get others comments in italics

Your comment was very astute about the result being a turning point. I felt that the Somerset team were on the verge of being a very good side and was pretty confident that relegation would be avoided. I’ve always had a soft spot for Somerset but from that game on I’ve very much identified with the team. Craig Overton was actually pretty intimidating in that game with disconcerting bounce from just short of a length. Both he and Plunkett very much looked Test bowlers in that match till Plunkett’s unfortunate injury.

For Yorkshire , it was the first of four successive defeats in their Scarborough stronghold.

LankyDes
University Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:14 am Post subject: Yorkshire v Somerset at Scarborough July 3 to 6 If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Relegation battle next week ; a fifty pointer!

Looking forward to my first visit to the ground at Scarborough ; have been to the town a few times.

Last edited by LankyDes on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
pvfc1
University Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:10 pm Post subject: Re: Yorkshire v Somerset at Scarboough July 3 to 6 If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
LankyDes wrote:
Relegation battle next week ; a fifty pointer!

Looking forward to my first visit to the ground at Scarborough ; have been to the town a few times.

Good ground although it was a bit run down from what I remember, maybe they have done it up a bit. Seen Lancs there a few times but not for a while. In the centre of the town.
LankyDes
University Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:28 pm Post subject: Re: Yorkshire v Somerset at Scarboough July 3 to 6 If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
pvfc1 wrote:

Good ground although it was a bit run down from what I remember, maybe they have done it up a bit. Seen Lancs there a few times but not for a while. In the centre of the town.

I got the impression from pictures that it was a bit run down too but reading about it in Duncan Hamilton's " A last English summer", I knew I had to get there before pub cricket kills civilisation completely . Also have to get to Cheltenham .

Not sure if we have played there since September 91 ( were you there then pvfc1?) when we lost in some typically hot early September weather. We were a rabble at the end of that season following the Hughes out coup but I remember The Guardian praising Defreitas for his 3-90 ish on an unhelpful wicket. Defreitas had had a magnificent season against the all powerful West Indians in Test cricket. I think that may have been the same season as the disgraceful sell out to Essex at OT on August Bank Holiday.

Don't think weather is going to be great ; I remember Michael Vaughan saying he knew he was finished when a North Sea mist gave his knee jip. Two sites I've looked at give very different forecasts. Can anyone get away with being as bad at their job at weather forecasters or Lancashire captains? Well yes, quite a few; MPs , pollsters, solicitors, "top" bankers.......
Exile
2nd XI Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:33 am Post subject: Re: Yorkshire v Somerset at Scarboough July 3 to 6 If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
LankyDes wrote:
pvfc1 wrote:

I got the impression from pictures that it was a bit run down too but reading about it in Duncan Hamilton's " A last English summer", I knew I had to get there before pub cricket kills civilisation completely . Also have to get to Cheltenham .

Don't think weather is going to be great ; I remember Michael Vaughan saying he knew he was finished when a North Sea mist gave his knee jip. Two sites I've looked at give very different forecasts. Can anyone get away with being as bad at their job at weather forecasters or Lancashire captains? Well yes, quite a few; MPs , pollsters, solicitors, "top" bankers.......

Visited Scarborough last year for the first time since childhood. Still a proper place in a marvellous setting but, although there are signs of regeneration, there's a lot of decay, as in most British seaside towns. If you're staying, Des, you would probably enjoy seeing a play at Alan Ayckbourn's Stephen Joseph Theatre.

There was a time when Lancs regularly played at the Cheltenham Cricket Festival: a great day out, it was always the first thing to go in my diary when the fixtures appeared but, sadly, those days seem gone for good. The last time I went, Dominic Cork was still playing for us and I don't think Lancs have been back since.

I have some sympathy for weather forecasters, especially when we get Atlantic weather systems. They did forecast Thursday's rain but they thought it would land further north than it did. I don't think we'd have won but it would have been nice to have had the chance. Lancashire captains are another matter entirely!
pvfc1
University Team

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:46 am Post subject: Re: Yorkshire v Somerset at Scarboough July 3 to 6 If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
LankyDes wrote:
pvfc1 wrote:

[i]Good ground although it was a bit run down from what I remember, maybe they have done it up a bit. Seen Lancs there a few times but not for a while. In the centre of the town.

Not sure if we have played there since September 91 ( were you there then pvfc1?) when we lost in some typically hot early September weather. We were a rabble at the end of that season following the Hughes out coup but I remember The Guardian praising Defreitas for his 3-90 ish on an unhelpful wicket. Defreitas had had a magnificent season against the all powerful West Indians in Test cricket. I think that may have been the same season as the disgraceful sell out to Essex at OT on August Bank Holiday.

Don't think I was there for that one, mainly one dayers in the 1980's but did go to a couple of three day games there.
Oldhamexile
University Team

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:56 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
I went up to Scarborough to watch cricket in 2012 and although the weather wasn't kind I enjoyed the trip. I liked the ground, very evocative, it feels like a place where cricket has always been important and still is. You can almost see the history peeping through the present.

[i]The North Riding Brewpub near the ground is a good pub but I really liked the Angel in the town. A really good town centre pub with that mix of ages that makes for a great pub atmosphere.

Have a good trip, look forward to hearing about it.

Runner up in the Unofficial Lancs Cricket Forum Fantasy Cricket County league 2013, 2015
DR_PAUL
University Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:22 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
Use to go every September in the late 1970's early 1980's for the Fenner Trophy.

Saw some great innings from the likes of Barry Richards and Gordon Greennidge for Hampshire.

The touring teams use to always play their last game in England at Scarborough.

Remember a great knock by Collis King for the 1976 West Indians at Scarborough.

Went to Scarborough about 5 years ago (out of season) and was shocked to find the Cricketer pub opposite was boarded up. Spent many an happy hour there. Also went in the ground and it still looked good to me.

We also use to go in the North Riding, The Criterion, The Albert and a few other pub as well as the Cricketers. We use to drink with the Yorkshire players such as Paul Jarvis and Arnie Sidebottom and they were good lads. Meet Boycott for the first time at Scarborough and he came across as a bit of a di@k.

In 1977 we went in a nightclub called The Penthouse in Scarborough (think Arnie Sidebottom was in on his own drinking) and I notice just a few days before the Sex Pistols had played there - glad I missed that.

A pub quiz question from the 1970's was.

Q. At which cricket ground did Herbert Sutcliffe hit a six out of the ground and into Trafalgar Square.

A. North Marine Road, Scarborough.

If you stayed in the B&B in Trafalgar Square (as we did a couple of times) it was alway best to ask before hand to stay at the rear of the properties so you look directly over the ground.

Happy days

LankyDes
University Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:30 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Thanks Oldham Exile and Dr Paul for those memories and tips. Particularly interested by mention of Collis King ; a forgotten talent but how much would he be worth in IPL nowadays?

Remember him taking game away from England in 1979 World Cup Final and arguing with a friend who said he was a slogger. That demeaned King, who like Ian Botham, had a beautiful forward defensive. I seem to remember him being banned in North Wales league in early 80s for being too good and this link suggests why
[www.yorkpress.co.uk]
Andrew of Ware
2nd XI Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:45 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click (Phew, back on having been locked out by the 'Captcha' screen for about four days.)

I'm just catching up on today's scores and the Scarborough match seems to be the only 'normal' score with 13 wickets falling. At Canterbury only one wicket fell (for 434 runs!), but at Cheltenham - the College ground - 25 wickets fell. I hope this does not mean the end of county cricket at another outground.

werneth
University Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:59 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
Andrew of Ware wrote:
(Phew, back on having been locked out by the 'Captcha' screen for about four days.)

I'm just catching up on today's scores and the Scarborough match seems to be the only 'normal' score with 13 wickets falling. At Canterbury only one wicket fell (for 434 runs!), but at Cheltenham - the College ground - 25 wickets fell. I hope this does not mean the end of county cricket at another outground.

Actually, Kent were also playing at an outground, Beckenham. When I saw the scores, I was wondering which of those two days' of one-sided cricket I'd have enjoyed less but you can bet that if the pitch police act over either, it'll be the one where wickets fell rather than the bowlers' graveyard which must have made for a tedious day.
LankyDes
University Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:46 am Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
[www.espncricinfo.com]

Nothing I can add to this description of a most enjoyable day. Yorkshire still look a good side but two dropped catches epitomise the disappearance of the sharpness of their double championship years under Gillespie
LankyDes
University Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:42 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
werneth wrote:
Andrew of Ware wrote:
(Phew, back on having been locked out by the 'Captcha' screen for about four days.)

Actually, Kent were also playing at an outground, Beckenham. When I saw the scores, I was wondering which of those two days' of one-sided cricket I'd have enjoyed less but you can bet that if the pitch police act over either, it'll be the one where wickets fell rather than the bowlers' graveyard which must have made for a tedious day.

Couldn't agree more. Two games of total tedium going on.

Thoroughly enjoying my time in Scarborough despite the rain this afternoon which has given me time for a walk round the delightful Peasholm Park after a pint in North Riding Brew Pub.

It may have looked a low scoring " grim struggle" this morning but every ball held my attention aided by a great view at the P P end. Not quite straight enough to see movement of ball ( other than by deduction) . Impressed by Craig Overton; could have had another but for Trescothick dropping " a cuckoo". Groenewald under bowled in my view at the expense of the captain Gregory who was, however, still unlucky.

The two young batsmen battled hard from start of play but, once Somerset bowlers found their length , all beat the bat regularly in the damp air and greenish pitch.

Counter attack by Rashid and Hodd this afternoon was typically Yorkshire lower order cricket if not quite as much fun as Somerset's tenth wicket stand aided by the drop which cost Plunkett a well deserved five for.
I'd read a suggestion in The Cricket Paper that some bad feeling from the end of last season carried over into the recent Taunton game and could continue here but I've sent no evidence of that here. Lots of grinning by players on both sides and laughing with each other. Proof that you can have good tough cricket without snarling aggression. I lapped up every ball of it.

Always interesting being a neutral and listening to both sets of supporters being pessimistic. The Yorkshire supporters are all saying there is just something missing but they can't put their finger on what. Whilst they weren't quite at their best last season and I know there are limitations to a coach's effect , my guess it is just the lack of Gillespie. You just cannot understate the value of a character of that stature around a club.
DR_PAUL
University Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:26 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
LankyDes wrote:
Thanks Oldham Exile and Dr Paul for those memories and tips. Particularly interested by mention of Collis King ; a forgotten talent but how much would he be worth in IPL nowadays?

Remember him taking game away from England in 1979 World Cup Final and arguing with a friend who said he was a slogger./

The game I refer to was a three day game for T.N. Pearse's XI v West Indies.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Collis King hit 61 at double quick time. When Gordon Greenidge and Collis King were batting they must have been going at more than a run a ball - not that they ever ran - just boundaries. One six by King off Edmonds never was more than 2 feet off the ground before hitting the wheels of the sight screen (which was just inside the rope), for a six.

It was real Caribbean festival cricket, but the weather if I remember was not many degrees above zero.

LankyDes
University Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:19 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Oldhamexile wrote:
I went up to Scarborough to watch cricket in 2012 and although the weather wasn't kind I enjoyed the trip. I liked the ground, very evocative, it feels like a place where cricket has always been important and still is. You can almost see the history peeping through the present.

The North Riding Brewpub near the ground is a good pub but I really liked the Angel in the town. A really good town centre pub with that mix of ages that makes for a great pub atmosphere.

That comment just nails it OE. You could rival Duncan Hamilton!

In Angel at present ; not the greatest choice of beers but outside the Doombar and Specled Hen etc which are too boring, ones I've had are well kept.

People will suspect me of changing my allegiance ; no chance ; it has been great watching them struggle but it was so good to be surrounded by people today who talked about nothing but these two teams in this game. No talk of football ,Formula One, 2020 etc. Sometimes at OT you get surrounded by people who make you wonder if they really watch the game but just need somewhere to spend their days .

Yes I know ; what do they know of cricket who only cricket know. Well plenty of them know their beer too!

Actually worked out well today as my cousin from Leeds is coming with me Thursday. Game should last long enough now. Last time we watched cricket together was Headingley 2011 ; Gary Keedy rules 😀

LankyDes
University Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:24 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
DR_PAUL wrote:

Collis King hit 61 at double quick time. When Gordon Greenidge and Collis King were batting they must have been going at more than a run a ball - not that they ever ran - just boundaries. One six by King off Edmonds never was more than 2 feet off the ground before hitting the wheels of the sight screen (which was just inside the rope), for a six.

Great stuff Dr Paul and thanks for the Albert tip ; my aging legs were flagging after walking up from the shore.

You remind me of Simon Hughes's description of Clive Lloyd hitting the fearsome Wayne Daniel straight for six on royal wedding day 81 which he said was still rising as it hit the sightscreen. Daniel is reputed to have said " that's the last time I mess with Lloyd's crumpet"

View previous topic :: View next topic
DR_PAUL
University Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:56 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
In the late 1970's generally the Cameron (Hartlepool brewery) pubs served the best beer in Scarborough.

We also use to go in a pub called The West Riding and I think you could get Theakston there.

In the Cricketers in the 1970's it was Bass and you could not get Bitter there at one time and I think we use to drink Light Ale or something like that, before it started selling Stones Bitter.

Oldhamexile
University Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:11 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
LankyDes wrote:
Oldhamexile wrote:
DR_PAUL
University Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:45 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
Andrew of Ware wrote:

Yes some very one sided cricket at Beckenham 1229 runs for 14 wickets with 25 year old South African Sean Dickson hitting 318 on his own in the Kent innings.

LankyDes
University Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:32 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Disappointing day today culminating in one of those decisions that bring cricket into disrepute with umpires taking them off at 1700 in better light than they had started today and had played in ( commendably)yesterday afternoon. Some of the crowd were happy as they felt it made a draw more likely for Yorkshire. Some were annoyed as they felt it was farcical. I would have thought Somerset would be desperate to play. Anyway they came back after losing seven overs to everyone's mystification when the light seemed to have worsened and left finally when it seemed to be stable but sub fielder Jack Brooks had failed to pick up a hook shot.

The game was spoilt as a contest by Yorkshire's second injury to a bowler. I would have thought that a lead of 55 would have left Somerset nervous still facing Sidebottom and Plunkett. As it was, Yorks went on defensive after Plunkett's injury.

Earlier Rashid batted well until Sidebottom came in at eleven when the cricket became silly ignoring singles etc. At least Somerset left two slips in before Rashid gave catching practice to third man.

Last edited by LankyDes on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

DR_PAUL
University Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:48 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
Somerset 268 & 281/4d
Yorkshire 213 & 157 (38.3 ov)
Somerset won by 179 runs

man in the stand
2nd XI Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:18 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
Yorkshire hampered by test calls but notable that both the bottom teams are improving. Warks might have won today. Far better to have your "bad patch" early season when you time to do something about it....

LankyDes
University Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:43 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Going back to what I said yesterday, injuries did spoil game as I suspect Yorks might have been chasing a lot fewer despite the fact that Somerset ultimately declared with only four down.

Lees shot was truly awful for an opener and must have ensured a frosty reception in dressing room. Pity Craig Overton didn't get the tenth wicket in the game that his highly impressive performance deserved and he was so close . After his unfortunate experience with his action, it was good to see Leach bowling with lovely flight and spin and he will have been quite happy to have conceded a straight six for every wicket he took.

Overall a wonderful holiday with a great mix of family, friends, good beer and cricket. Agree with OE that there is a real buzz in the town. Just wish I could come here for Essex game next month.

An old Yorkshireman was heard to say " I enjoyed your company but I'm not coming next year to see that". He's probably said that after every Yorkshire defeat at Scarborough.

longstop
University Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:35 am Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click

Went up to Scarborough to watch cricket in 2012 and although the weather wasn't kind I enjoyed the trip. I liked the ground, very evocative, it feels like a place where cricket has always been important and still is. You can almost see the history peeping through the present.

The North Riding Brewpub near the ground is a good pub but I really liked the Angel in the town. A really good town centre pub with that mix of ages that makes for a great pub atmosphere.

That comment just nails it OE. You could rival Duncan Hamilton!

In Angel at present ; not the greatest choice of beers but outside the Doombar and Specled Hen etc which are too boring, ones I've had are well kept.

People will suspect me of changing my allegiance ; no chance ; it has been great watching them struggle but it was so good to be surrounded by people today who talked about nothing but these two teams in this game. No talk of football ,Formula One, 2020 etc. Sometimes at OT you get surrounded by people who make you wonder if they really watch the game but just need somewhere to spend their days .

Yes I know ; what do they know of cricket who only cricket know. Well plenty of them know their beer too!

Actually worked out well today as my cousin from Leeds is coming with me Thursday. Game should last long enough now. Last time we watched cricket together was Headingley 2011 ; Gary Keedy rules 😀

That's just about made my day Des. Glad to hear you're having a good trip and I'm really enjoying your reports. They've given me a real strong urge to be at the cricket this week. As well as Scarborough there's been a remarkable two day game at Cheltenham, a good game at Chesterfield and Arundel starts tomorrow. A week for cricket rather than working.

But Scarborough is buzzy isn't it? That feel of a town that's all about the cricket is great. Maybe not exclusive to Scarborough, I've certainly experienced similar at other festival cricket, but it takes some beating.

I think they had York Guzzler when we went to the Angel. A good pint, a nice best bitter, also copper dragon golden pippin, quite different but very well kept.

I can tell the yorkies what's wrong with their team, a misfiring batting line up. Two out of form openers, a teenager at three, a debutant (for them) at four, an quality overseas at five who hasn't quite delivered and an all rounder at six who is one place too high. They could probably do with their current coach out in the middle scoring some ugly runs and gluing it altogether.

Keep up the good work!

Runner up in the Unofficial Lancs Cricket Forum Fantasy Cricket County league 2013, 2015
DR_PAUL
University Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:45 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
Andrew of Ware wrote:

Yes some very one sided cricket at Beckenham 1229 runs for 14 wickets with 25 year old South African Sean Dickson hitting 318 on his own in the Kent innings.

LankyDes
University Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:32 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Disappointing day today culminating in one of those decisions that bring cricket into disrepute with umpires taking them off at 1700 in better light than they had started today and had played in ( commendably)yesterday afternoon. Some of the crowd were happy as they felt it made a draw more likely for Yorkshire. Some were annoyed as they felt it was farcical. I would have thought Somerset would be desperate to play. Anyway they came back after losing seven overs to everyone's mystification when the light seemed to have worsened and left finally when it seemed to be stable but sub fielder Jack Brooks had failed to pick up a hook shot.

The game was spoilt as a contest by Yorkshire's second injury to a bowler. I would have thought that a lead of 55 would have left Somerset nervous still facing Sidebottom and Plunkett. As it was, Yorks went on defensive after Plunkett's injury.

Earlier Rashid batted well until Sidebottom came in at eleven when the cricket became silly ignoring singles etc. At least Somerset left two slips in before Rashid gave catching practice to third man.

Last edited by LankyDes on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

DR_PAUL
University Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:48 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
Somerset 268 & 281/4d
Yorkshire 213 & 157 (38.3 ov)
Somerset won by 179 runs

man in the stand
2nd XI Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:18 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
Yorkshire hampered by test calls but notable that both the bottom teams are improving. Warks might have won today. Far better to have your "bad patch" early season when you time to do something about it....

LankyDes
University Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:43 pm Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Going back to what I said yesterday, injuries did spoil game as I suspect Yorks might have been chasing a lot fewer despite the fact that Somerset ultimately declared with only four down.

Lees shot was truly awful for an opener and must have ensured a frosty reception in dressing room. Pity Craig Overton didn't get the tenth wicket in the game that his highly impressive performance deserved and he was so close . After his unfortunate experience with his action, it was good to see Leach bowling with lovely flight and spin and he will have been quite happy to have conceded a straight six for every wicket he took.

Overall a wonderful holiday with a great mix of family, friends, good beer and cricket. Agree with OE that there is a real buzz in the town. Just wish I could come here for Essex game next month.

An old Yorkshireman was heard to say " I enjoyed your company but I'm not coming next year to see that". He's probably said that after every Yorkshire defeat at Scarborough.

longstop
University Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:35 am Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote
Good reports Des, glad you enjoyed the trip.

Hope you find some Cricket to keep you entertained for the next good few weeks
[/i]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 18:21 by Des Platt.

Re: 2017 Des’s view of Scarborough miracle
Farmer White 04 February, 2020 09:27
Hello Des

Always interesting to get a different perspective, although I must confess it took me a while to pick out your contributions, especially with the frequent quoting of other posts on the Lancs site. Scarborough is probably the only ground which regularly hosts CC cricket that I have not been to over the years. A shame because it probably has the highest CC crowds of any ground. A couple of points from your posts resonated. The abilty of Craig Overton to generate lift has, among his other attributes, made him probably Somerset's most consistently effective bowler over the last six seasons. The other was your reference to the conversation of both sets of supporters being focused on the cricket and not veering off into other sports. I also find Somerset and Yorkshire supporters generally to be the most objective in the country about the merit of the play they are watching, and to be the most generous in applauding good play by the other side. No Somerset CC match at Headingley (or Scarborough) this year is a real loss.

Farmer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net