Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

The Marcus Trescothick Pavilion
Discussion started by Grizzers , 02 March, 2020 14:36
The Marcus Trescothick Pavilion
Grizzers 02 March, 2020 14:36

Re: The Marcus Trescothick Pavilion
hantssabre 02 March, 2020 15:05
Does this mean he keeps his stand as well or has to give up a stand in exchange for a pavilion? Either way, a fitting tribute to the worlds nicest man.

Mike TA1 02 March, 2020 16:30
I thought the club were waiting to name the pavilion after somebody special, and you can't get any more special than Marcus.

There are already smarting up the pavilion by treating all the wood to a dark brown.

cricketharris 02 March, 2020 16:43
“Bowling from The Marcus Trescothick Pavilion End”, then. Doesn’t exactly trip off the tongue quite like The River End. Better to call it The Town End.

Grizzers 02 March, 2020 18:54
Marcus has been a terrific performer for Somerset over the last 26 years or so and I’ve no problem whatever with this accolade.

It’s occurred to me for some time however that Sir Vivian Richards surely deserves a similar honour ?

(I know he has the gates named after him, but that does seem a somewhat modest honour, given all he achieved for the Club).

Grizzers

mama mia 02 March, 2020 19:17
Shame that it's not happening during a match .

Grockle 02 March, 2020 22:55
It'll become the Trescothick End or Banger's End

(Sm72)

Scrumper 02 March, 2020 23:38
We could have the Steffan steps in front of the Francis flats. .

mikeindex 06 March, 2020 11:36
A fitting honour indeed. I rather like the Churchyard End if something snappier is needed (which it certainly is) but Banger's End has plenty of appeal.
I gather from one source that the present Trescothick Stand is to be renamed the River Stand, which seems a bit unimaginative. I'd have like the Wellard stand as so many of his sixes went in that direction.

Grockle 06 March, 2020 12:02
On our first ever ball by ball radio commentary from the old style CA pavilion we broadcasted from Richard Gould's office balcony and he suggested that the newly opened Gimblett's Hill end should have been called the 'Dead End'. Happy days!

(Sm72)

Bobstan 06 March, 2020 12:15
I was just beginning to wonder whether everyone had decided that no more posts were necessary. I almost quoted from Walter de la Mare:

Is there anybody there, said the Traveller
Knocking on the moonlit door,
And his horse in the silence
Champed the grasses of the forest's ferny floor.

Mike TA1 06 March, 2020 14:37
I was going to suggest Graves End, but thought better of it because it would remind me a curtain person I don't want to think of.

Sloop John B 06 March, 2020 20:49
Given that The Joel Garner gates are unusable and are beside the Trescothick Stand I think the stand should be renamed in Joel's honour.

Scrumper 06 March, 2020 22:22
Discussions are in progress with the eatery to call it the "Eat the Big Bird Stand".

Somerset LaLaLa 07 March, 2020 08:30
Would Gravey McGravesface End be suitable?

Grizzers 07 March, 2020 18:26
Given recent hysteria over current events, perhaps the 'End of Days' would be appropriate.

(Sm124)

Grizzers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net