Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Club Statement: Coronavirus
Discussion started by Mike TA1 , 12 March, 2020 16:00
Mike TA1 12 March, 2020 16:00

Given the increasing uncertainty around the development and effect of covid-19 coronavirus, we are keen to ensure that questions surrounding coronavirus and how this will impact those visiting the Cooper Associates County Ground are addressed.
We are monitoring the coronavirus situation carefully and regularly, with the health and safety of our visitors, staff and players as our priority.
We are following Public Health England and NHS guidelines, which means that the Cooper Associates County Ground is currently open as usual.  This includes The Stragglers Coffee House and all events taking place in our Somerset, Colin Atkinson and Ondaatje Pavilions. However, in line with those guidelines we have increased our cleaning routines across all areas of the Ground and strengthened hygiene and sanitisation in public areas.
[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

Re: Club Statement: Coronavirus
wsm fan 12 March, 2020 18:50
Still no word on our pre season tour to Dubai.

Given Worcester have pulled out and the situation changing daily are we just to assume it's off.....

Scrumper 12 March, 2020 19:11
SCCC say Abu Dubai is off.

Somerset LaLaLa 12 March, 2020 19:20
Cancelled according to twitter

Mike TA1 12 March, 2020 19:36
Email from the club.

Somerset CCC cancel pre-season tour to Abu Dhabi

In light of the current global situation regarding coronavirus, Somerset County Cricket Club have taken the informed decision to cancel our planned pre-season tour to Abu Dhabi.

The players and staff were due to depart on Sunday for the tour, which consisted of warm weather training plus a number of different format matches against Essex and Worcestershire, before returning on March 29th.

However, following significant discussions with several major stakeholders and considering the pace in which daily developments have evolved, the decision has been taken to withdraw from the proposed tour.

Director of Cricket, Andy Hurry explains that this isn’t a decision that has been taken lightly.

“We have been monitoring the situation on a daily basis over the last couple of weeks, ensuring that we didn’t lose sight of the value and benefit that preparing for the season on grass overseas would give us.

“We have endeavoured to give ourselves as much time as possible to make this best-informed decision, allowing us to consider our position as more information has become available on a daily basis.

“Obviously, the health and wellbeing of our players, support staff and their families are of the highest importance.

“Although Abu Dhabi has appropriate protocols in place, the change of the national state from ‘Contain’ to ‘Delay’ coupled with the potential escalation of any isolation process for those returning to the UK have become key factors in the decision making process.

“Any imposed period of inactivity due to isolation of our players and staff would certainly adversely impact our pre-season preparation and potentially some early season fixtures.

“We have been considering contingency plans during this decision-making phase and we are now finalising these in order to give ourselves the optimum possible opportunity to be best prepared for the forthcoming season.

“We will update our Members and supporters with these details shortly.”

nelliec 12 March, 2020 23:04
If I was Andy Hurry I’d be straight on.the phone to Lewis and Tom in Pakistan and get them back here ASAP.As far as Tom Banton is concerned they’ll be many more IPL ,s for him to play in in the future.

Grizzers 13 March, 2020 00:15
Well, my planned April/May visitation to SCCC looks highly unlikely at this point.

It' s all a pretty uncomfortable situation for everyone right now.

Grizzers

Grockle 13 March, 2020 00:45
Yep. I was hoping to get to the University game but I assume that will not take place now. It's all a bit strange.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 13 March, 2020 07:41
Aside from the human suffering and disruption, the club is likely to see a loss of income which isn't great news either. The England tour of Sri Lanka must be in jeopardy as well. Given thousands of Atletico Madrid fans came to Liverpool this week, I wouldn't bet against that city now becoming a hot spot. Expect the ECB to get round to making a decision on cancelling the season at the end of September, if Somerset are winning the championship

Bagpuss 13 March, 2020 08:05
Can't help thinking this is EXACTLY the sort of situation the ECB should have been saving its substantial reserves for a few years ago ( not the death of her Majesty). Insteas they've spent the last 2-3 years p***ing ££££ up the wall of the 100.

Railboy 13 March, 2020 10:58
England squad on their way home from Sri Lanka, IPL postponed.
i am very pessimistic about the CC starting on time and with the peak not expected until around June the whole season must be in jeopardy.

cricketjerry-mouse 13 March, 2020 11:07
Right decision about Sri Lanka and the IPL.

If Railboy`s fear that the whole English season must now be in jeopardy becomes reality, will Somerset be automatically relegated in September? They will be at minus 12 points, compared with everyone else`s zero?

I wouldn`t put it past the ECB.

Mike TA1 13 March, 2020 11:11
It will all be held in limbo. (Sm72)

Tom Seymour 13 March, 2020 11:56
The cancellation of a trip to Abu Dhabi will mean that Andy Hurry won't be able to top up his tan so readily.

Shame.

(Sm134)

Loyal of Lhasa 13 March, 2020 22:24
I feel that Mother Cricket is taking rather extreme measures to undermine The Hundred...

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

nelliec 13 March, 2020 23:07
One thing they will definitely have to do is change the law relating to shining the ball.No more spit and polish!!!

Des Platt 13 March, 2020 23:40
Quote:
Somerset LaLaLa
Aside from the human suffering and disruption, the club is likely to see a loss of income which isn't great news either. The England tour of Sri Lanka must be in jeopardy as well. Given thousands of Atletico Madrid fans came to Liverpool this week, I wouldn't bet against that city now becoming a hot spot. Expect the ECB to get round to making a decision on cancelling the season at the end of September, if Somerset are winning the championship

Yes, there’s plenty of fear up here in Liverpool of that happening. Our local hospital ten miles outside city had its first case today

Grockle 14 March, 2020 17:50
A few years ago I simulated games using International Cricket Captain, a PC game from Empire games. I've just been researching the existence of it and to my surprise the game still existed in 2019!

There is hope for the 2020 campaign my friends!! Especially if I find myself quarantined somewhere with very little to do!

(Sm72)

Farmer White 14 March, 2020 18:22
From recollection, "Owzthat! would be quicker.

Farmer

Loyal of Lhasa 15 March, 2020 10:42
I fear that Farmer White's book on the 2020 season has already been written.

LoL

Grockle 15 March, 2020 10:52
Ref OWZAT Farmer... it's not quicker if you are simulating a whole CC1 season and from recollection a number 11 scoring a double hundred in an innings with 6 stumpings might be a little unrealistic even with Jack Leach in the side (Sm100)

(Sm72)

Farmer White 15 March, 2020 11:07
Not yet LoL.

I have always fancied writing a novel. I might even be able to come up with a better ending than I managed in my first two books.

Farmer

Des Platt 15 March, 2020 12:00
Great stuff here from a man of your parish. Article is much wider in scope than headline indicates.

[www.theguardian.com]

Love the micky take of that imbecile Harrison.

Kingston Black 16 March, 2020 19:13

Grockle 17 March, 2020 11:06
On a Grockles note through this.

I sppreciate it might be a trying time for many of us over the next few months. Cricket or no cricket this community stays open and ready to support each other as in the majority of cases we always have.

I'm hoping to be back in the Taunton area from Saturday if the UK government and BA allow. If anyone needs anything then get in touch and I'll help if I can. I'm sure others here across the county and country would be happy to do likewise.

Once a Grocklee always a Grocklee

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker 17 March, 2020 11:41
Do not extend the CC season into Octoober as has been suggested.

As would seem likely, rather each county could play fewer CC matches with no promotion, relegation or the award of any Championship title, at the end of the season.

Loyal of Lhasa 17 March, 2020 11:44
Nicely put, Grockle. I shall not be relying on any of the Grockle family for direct support, but the network of friends acquired through the site is a great source of moral support for which I am deeply grateful. Let's hope for a bicker-free but banter-full summer, however long we have to wait for the cricket.

LoL

cricketharris 17 March, 2020 12:12
I have just received an email from the club with the news that all tickets for this season are now on sale. Parallel universe here in Taunton.

Sloop John B 17 March, 2020 16:51
The members lunch scheduled for this Thursday has been cancelled.

Grizzers 17 March, 2020 16:54
I see Thursday's members lunch has been cancelled, which must be the right decision.

Sending all Grocklees very best wishes from across the pond. Let's all look forward to gathering again under the scoreboard at Gimblett's Hill, watching cricket under sunny skies, before too long.

Grizzers

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net