Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The end of county cricket as we knew It.
Discussion started by nelliec , 18 March, 2020 20:01
The end of county cricket as we knew It.
nelliec 18 March, 2020 20:01
No income to pay our cricketers.
No hundred money.
No ECB handouts
What now for county cricket.How many of the established counties have the infrastructure to servive the Corona.
Let’s hope and pray we are one of them!!

Re: The end of county cricket as we knew It.
Scrumper 18 March, 2020 20:22
https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/photos/misc/350/yandy182696.jpg

Or maybe not?
I think we'll see some cricket, maybe no CC but hopefully we'll see some money spinning T20 later in the summer.

Somerset LaLaLa 18 March, 2020 21:34
So when we go out to enjoy ourselves again, I don't think the priority of anyone will be the Hundred with its razzmatazz, the £6 million or so quoted for entertainment and high-end pyrotechnics.

Sitting amongst many in the Trescothick pavilion, wondering if the rain will stop to allow the covers to be taken off, will suit me just fine

nelliec 18 March, 2020 21:50
At best 9 championship games starting in July one against each side with maybe a 50 over game at the same venue against the Same team over the weekend.Probably the very best we could get.No capacity grounds me thiinks!!😢😢

Grizzers 18 March, 2020 23:32
Five options being considered by the ECB:

[www.espncricinfo.com]

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Grizzers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2020 01:41 by Grizzers.

Loyal of Lhasa 19 March, 2020 17:53
If the CC season is to be halved (and at present that seems the best option), Somerset must insist that their points deduction is reduced from 12 to 6.

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bobstan 19 March, 2020 18:10
Good thinking, LoLman. (He's Batman's older brother.)

Grizzers 01 April, 2020 21:30
The Daily Telegraph (Nick Hoult) is now reporting that the County Championship is highly likely to scrapped for entire 2020 season.

Desperate news.

Grizzers

Owain Glyndwr 01 April, 2020 23:05
I know that public health Wales are anticipating this first phase of precautions lasting at least six months, which will mean we can wave goodbye to all sports this summer. They're also worried about what happens after that, given that they don't want a potentially lethal second wave in the Autumn. Things may look very different when we return to normal, whatever that may be.

RadstockRob 02 April, 2020 03:02
Here

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

Bobstan 02 April, 2020 07:56
Sadly BJOG I feel that is right. If it is not so it may very well be that the Govt will have been irresponsible - and we know that would never happen.

We also know that St Patrick wasn't Irish. At least Owain Glyndwr was genuine Welsh.

Grizzers 03 April, 2020 16:20
I’m sure everyone would be pretty happy if this was possible:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Grizzers

Loyal of Lhasa 03 April, 2020 16:33
I certainly feel such matches should have first class status, though I think relegating or promoting any side after such a short "season" would be somewhat arbitrary, especially if there are a few rain-affected matches. But if it is to be only six matches as part of a tournament, Somerset's point deduction MUST be adjusted downwards.

LoL

Grockle 03 April, 2020 16:37
Certainly and I assume these would be closed door with TV access? Or they are suggesting this will take place in late August/Early September when crowds might be available?

(Sm72)

nelliec 03 April, 2020 20:30
I wonder if the ECB have considered 3 day championship cricket comprising 3 40 over sessions with the last session each day under lights.Would be the perfect season to experiment and would allow more fixtures to be played right up to the end of September

Roger ivanhoe 05 April, 2020 09:37
SOMERSET could set a record this year,

The only Club to score any points in the league during 2020, albeit minus 12 points.

(Sm31)

Loyal of Lhasa 05 April, 2020 10:01
I think Nelliec's suggestion about three-day matches makes excellent sense - and therefore will probably not be cosidered by those in charge.

LoL

Angell Face 05 April, 2020 17:44
In bygone days they played 6 days a week and didn't have luxury travel and good hotels to stay in. Perhaps they could put up with it for a few weeks if it meant that we could see some worthwhile cricket this year.

Sloop John B 05 April, 2020 18:24
I saw a coach claiming that once self isolation had stopped he would need at least a month to get his players fully ready for cricket.
I would give him one week max and then get them on the park! The earlier there is real cricket the better. We may also be competing for spectators with football and other sports.

Loyal of Lhasa 05 April, 2020 19:07
And I agree with both of the most recent posts above. Let's get our players involved in proper cricket as soon as circumstances allow (and I reckon that is exactly what some of them would like to do). Speaking as someone who has not set foot in a gym since 1958, I think far too much emphasis is placed on securing maximum fitness. Nobody will mind if our men and women perform below the standards we have come to expect; we shall simply be delighted to see them on the field again - and they are paid to perform on the field not to do extreme things off it.

AGod 10 April, 2020 13:41
Some might suggest, LoL, that it might be interesting to compare the injury rates in a season in which players have *not* been frantically prepped, fitness-wise, for the season with those that occur following your typical, modern, Justin Langer / Andy Hurry approach to fitness....

... perhaps we might see less good fielding from the pacemen... but if they are actually on the park more often, then....

Grockle 10 April, 2020 14:13
One might want to factor in that the Orange Idiot across the pond will be looking for idiotic allies to 'open up' their countries so the fool can 'open up' his.

One can only hope that looking COVID 19 squarely in the face has put some spine and sense into our beloved PM and he won't be the stupid idol worshipping hypocrite who follows Don down the road to hell. Can't promise anything though.

(Sm72)

AGod 10 April, 2020 15:47
Apparently all Vegas hotels have been turned over to the emergency services.... with the exception of the one belonging to the bouffant buffoon.

Grizzers 11 April, 2020 19:40
After all the good work Jack Leach did for them..........

[www.wisden.com]

Just another little challenge for the ECB.

Grizzers

cricketharris 12 April, 2020 14:31
Orange idiot president, spineless prime minister? Well that’s some mighty, vicious opinion and criticism , Grockle. Surely no need for that on here.

Grockle 12 April, 2020 14:49
I'll back the 'idiot' comment up by fact if you want CH but as you say - maybe not on here.

Not offended by the 'buffoon' reference in the same way? A little 'myopic' don't you think? Anyone might think the motive to comment was a little more than simply 'offence'.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2020 14:53 by Grockle.

Owain Glyndwr 12 April, 2020 15:17
Seems like a very fair critique to me, Grockle. No complaints here.

Bobstan 12 April, 2020 15:24
Quite agree, BeeJOG. These aren't opinions; they are statements of obvious facts - certainly the statement about President Chump. Other views concerning the PM are perhaps possible.

Grockle 12 April, 2020 15:56
I'd like to clarify.

I did not mean to infer that Boris didn't have a spine.

Just that its strength in the future might have been bolstered by experiences that I wouldn't wish on anyone where people the said individual had not been kind to in the past probably helped keep him alive through efforts he may now appreciate in a different way.

(Sm72)

cricketharris 12 April, 2020 21:22
I don’t take offence from your comments, Grockle, but wonder why it is thought that such opinions are relevant and appropriate to this forum . It has become a trait that people speak nastily against people they disapprove of, not only, but especially in politics, it’s a shame it overflows on to here sometimes.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net