Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

THE SEASON? Well it's not as we know it but...
Discussion started by Grockle , 23 March, 2020 17:54
THE SEASON? Well it's not as we know it but...
Grockle 23 March, 2020 17:54
Here we go then.

It's going to get damn boring between now and the end of May so...

I'm working virtually this week and then I'm stuck in the vicinity of Bicknoller Towers for maybe another month and maybe even longer. with a lot of time on my hands

So if you are willing to help me I'm planning to run a "2020" season in sort of truncated real time.

It's the 2019 one really with the squad as it was in December of 2019.

I'll start looking it over (we're going to use 'Cricket Captain' 2019) and get ready to play the first game

The only problem will be that we will play the sides in the 2019 CC1 - not the 2020 version (unless they update before the season starts - which they might. So our first game at the moment is versus Kent on April 5

I need some answers from people as pre-season prep. This is where you lot come in. Either through post responses or via polls I am going to do this based on your decisions concerning teams etc. I'd like to play the games in real time if possible and that may require decisions to be made on a quite immediate basis - bowling changes etc but we'll see how it goes if people are interested.

Initial Decisions
There are two possibilities in terms of squad.
1. We can buy in new players from a group
2. We can play a version where Pete Trego and Marcus Trescothick and Tim Groenewald are still available.

Personally I would rather not use Marcus or Tim because they would not be around this season but I'm happy to go with the majority.

However, I am less against keeping Pete

So Initial questions

1, Do you want to see who we can buy? We will be bidding against other counties so we may not get anyone

2. Are you happy to not use Marcus and Tim?

3, Do you want us to keep Pete T?

Fourthly I suppose is the question whether you want to be involved as a posting population in this at all? I may do it for my own amusement should you not but I have done this before in the off season and it was quite fun.

I haven't used this software for over 10 years however so I will have a little play before I start this thing for real. I'm just floating the possibility out there fore the moment so give me some feedback people.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/03/2020 20:25 by Grockle.

Re: THE SEASON? Well it's not as we know it but...
Shepton Paul 2 24 March, 2020 10:44
I'd say cope without Tregs, Tres and Tim, and see who we can get (we know the gaps!). Let's make it as much like a new season as possible.

I can't pretend I'll be on hand for bowling changes and deciding whether to have three slips or four to Jove on a dark Tuesday evening in late September, but happy to contribute as and when. I'd always play more spinners rather than fewer, prob be a bit more defensive than most on here, and bat first.

Grockle 25 March, 2020 09:31
Well here's a starting point

THE SQUAD
Abell, Bartlett, Byrom, Green, Hildreth, Rouse, Banton, Davies, Gregory, Lammonby, RvdM, Bess, Leach, Davey, Gilchrist, Brooks, Overton C, Overton J, Sale, Waller

Azhar Ali will be the international for the whole season except for a short period where Murali Vijay will replace him

Babar Azham will be one of our T20 players with Jerome Taylor being the other one

There are some people available for purchase with our signing budget of £70,000

However, there are NO seam bowlers on the domestic list I'd give a minute to

There are only 4 real prospects with the bat as well though you may not agree

Karl Brown RHB (30) £20,500
Mike Carberry LHB (38) £23,000
Alexie Kervezee RHB (29) £22,000
Calum McLeod RHB/RM (30) £39,000!!

There is a Youth list but I have no idea whatsoever about those - if you've heard of someone exciting from last season who might be classified as a 'youth' then I can have a look

But is there anyone you want to consider?

The rest are really 'chaff' from other squads, either 'journeymen' with little time at the crease or older professionals at the end of their career (of whom Carberry really is a significant standout)

Anyone fancy anybody? Other suggestions for me to investigate. I can't change the internationals - though I'm not sure of the allocation for T20. Was it 2 or 3 players last season?

(Sm72)

mikeindex 25 March, 2020 09:40
I'd go with Kervezee on the strength of a magnificent innings at Taunton a few years back when the rest of his side folded rather feebly.
Eight years actually, it seems, so maybe not much to go on, but heck it's fantasy.

Grockle 25 March, 2020 10:05
Yeah he struck me. I've always had a sift spot for Carberry. He's a lefty but he's nearly 40. His career stas are phenomenal though Average of 40.

Kervezee was an aggressive batsman ai remember

(Sm72)

Shepton Paul 2 25 March, 2020 15:15
Yep, Kervezee and Carbs for me. Who priced McCleod - his Mum?!

Grockle 25 March, 2020 16:18
I'll put in some bids and we'll see what happens

(Sm72)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net