Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Things To Do Whilst On Lockdown
Discussion started by Bagpuss , 27 March, 2020 08:52
Things To Do Whilst On Lockdown
Bagpuss 27 March, 2020 08:52
The remarkable Robelinda - an Aussie- has just pointed out on Twitter that the 2013 Ashes in its entirety is available session by session on You Tube.

If only I could work out how to post the link. Try googling Investec Ashes 2013 maybe.

Been posted by the ECB so sadly its geoblocked

Re: Things To Do Whilst On Lockdown
Grockle 27 March, 2020 15:37
I'm presently playing with the idea of running the 2020 CC1 season using Cricket Captain. There's a thread about it if anyone us interested.

(Sm72)

RadstockRob 29 March, 2020 04:54
Didn't realise the Trouble and Strife didn't work at Woolworths any more.

I wish she'd told me earlier.

Just saying

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

Clarence Parker 29 March, 2020 13:42
Sitting, propped - up in my bed for far too many hours each day, I decided to self - educate myself on what I can see through my bedroom window.

With the assistance of my cricket - watching binoculars and a couple of books aimed more specifically at young readers, I now have a much greater knowledge on meteorology, arboricultue and ornithology - thus giving rise to a fuller appreciation of the World around us.

And of course I am ploughing through the 7 or so books that have been published over the past year on the subject of Somerset C C C and its players.

Like everyone one else, I am sure, I would rather be outdoors at this unprecedented time.

Good luck to everyone.

Grizzers 29 March, 2020 18:13
Well said Clarence.

Yes, next time we're 125-8 before lunch on day one of a Championship game, if I'm fortunate enough to be there, I think & hope I'll be grateful enough to just smile rather than grumble !

Grizzers

Grockle 29 March, 2020 19:47
It's life enhancement and we're gonna have to do without it gor a while. But you are right Grizz. I wonder how long it will take to forget this once normality resumes.

We ought to remember it because this coyld be reality if the ECB and the 💯 gets its way.

(Sm72)

sheffieldsabre 01 April, 2020 07:44
Still engaged in the wonderful world of home-schooling here, though the novelty appears to be wearing off! Kids gutted about the lack of cricket, but thank goodness for our daily walk in the Somerset countryside.

I'm not sure if our old friend Frome Exile still posts on here, but I have been in contact with him on twitter to check that he and the family are OK.

Shepton Paul 2 01 April, 2020 10:38
I miss Frome Exile... 😕

Loyal of Lhasa 01 April, 2020 10:59
I miss Frome Exile too. Another old friend missing from this site for too long is Big Jim, but I have been in touch with him a few times recently. He is weathering the Covid storm well and seems to be in good form but for reasons neither he nor I can understand is finding it impossible to re-register to join us.

Are fellow contributors aware of the fine new word for people who are behaving irresponsibly in the present crisis - COVIDIOTS.

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grockle 01 April, 2020 11:00
Good to hear he is well. He's certainly welcome back at anytime. So you yourself are not in South Yorks?

(Sm72)

Grockle 01 April, 2020 11:03
I'm assuming BJ has been in touch with SN HQ about this problem re registry LoL. Is that an issue as well. We started to try and sort this but stopped and I can't remember why but as I'm now back in the UK I'm happy to try and get this going again.

(Sm72)

sheffieldsabre 01 April, 2020 11:15
Thanks Grockle, I'll tell him. I haven't lived in Sheffield since January 2004, which shows how long we've all been posting here ... I was already established with the username sheffieldsabre so decided not to change it despite moving several times since then. Currently we are very happily back in Somerset, in the environs of Wiveliscombe, about 12 miles from Taunton in the direction of the Devon border.

Incidentally, if you're back in the UK now, does that mean I don't need to take my annual picture of your article in Wisden to send to you??

Loyal of Lhasa 01 April, 2020 12:00
And I haven't lived in Lhasa since the first Dalai Lama was installed.

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grockle 01 April, 2020 12:12
I should get my copy one it's out Sheff but send it anyway. it's a kind of ritual nowadays that sort of gets me ready for the cricket season and I was on the list of contributors last year even though the article wasn't actually there and they didn't send me a copy. If you have last year's copy and can find the list of contributors with my name on it I'd appreciate a copy of that as well. They did say with the World Cup coverage that they weren't expecting a country page and that it might go in the main 'Around the World' section.

The other thing with the picture is that it is always interesting to see how what they publish relates to what you actually wrote because they do not send out edited versions for comment. Usually it is a case of 'I wish I'd put it that way' but always interesting.

Ahh well you can't have it all. I thought you were joking about Wivi last week - it has been a while with a lot of this. But it keeps tootling along.

(Sm72)

Grizzers 01 April, 2020 16:21
Interesting that your in/near Wivvy Shep., is the cricket club still going well (current circumstances excepting of course) ?

I reached the height of my cricketing career playing for Wiveliscombe seconds for a season or two back in the 1980's. Even made a couple of (undoubtedly very ugly) 50's !

Boy could those chaps drink !

Grizzers

Bobstan 01 April, 2020 18:32
It would be great to have Frome Exile and Big Jim back on board - assuming FE wishes to return. He lives just a few miles from one of my very favourite towns, which is on the borders of Essex and Hertfordshire. Its nature is such that I think it should be transplanted to Suffolk where it spiritually and architecturally belongs.

sheffieldsabre 01 April, 2020 18:41
Hello Grizzers, yes Wivey CC is still going strong, with 1st and 2nd XIs although the junior section is unfortunately flagging a bit (which seems to be common up and down the country). There are lots of smaller kids so a good U-11 section, and we managed to scrape together an 8-a-side U-13 team last year, but no U-15s or U-17s at all; ss jr 1 had to start playing for the men's seconds. Mind you, he finished the season with a bowling average of 9.13 (yes you read that right) and an award, so it wasn't all bad. The element of surprise, probably!

Fortunately - speaking as his mother - he has not yet been invited to any drinking socials, of which I understand there are a few.

sheffieldsabre 01 April, 2020 18:43
Addendum: I hear from FE that he tried to log in this afternoon but was unable to do so. Maybe the same issue that is afflicting Jim?

Grizzers 01 April, 2020 21:32
Good for you SD and for SS junior of course !

With those bowling averages he should hot foot it down to the County Ground !

Grizzers

Grockle 01 April, 2020 21:37
BJ's problem had something to do with 'confirming his registration' whatever that means.

If there are issues let me know and I'll see if Dave at SN HQ can do his magic again.

Getting 'the band' back together would be remarkable.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 02 April, 2020 07:29
A plane has 3 passengers on board: Tom Harrison, a lifelong Somerset fan and a ten year old school boy.

The plane is about to crash and there are only two parachutes.

Harrison said I need one. “I’ve to sort out the Hundred and am the smartest man in cricket!” He takes one and jumps.

The Somerset fan said to the ten year old “You can have the last parachute. I’ve lived my life, following Somerset everywhere, yours is only starting”.

The ten year old said “Don’t worry, there are two parachutes left. The smartest man in cricket took my school bag”

Bobstan 02 April, 2020 07:58
For Harrison substitute Trump if you wish.

Mike TA1 02 April, 2020 08:15
'confirming his registration'

often when you register you are sent an email with a link to complete your registration. It's their way of making sure you have used a correct email address.

This may not be the reason in this case.

Grockle 02 April, 2020 09:37
That's my understanding Mike

(Sm72)

Bobstan 02 April, 2020 15:48
I see that one of the only mathematician/statisticians that I've heard of has died. Tony Lewis that is - not the former England captain and commentator/summarizer.

As far as I am aware Duckworth survives, although I am prepared to be corrected on this.

This post qualifies as something to do while on Lockdown.

Farmer White 02 April, 2020 21:59
Went outside at eight o'clock this evening to applaud. A lot of applause from round and about. My contacts in the NHS say it really is appreciated. I clapped as much for care workers, and kept some too for others keeping going for the benefit of the rest of us, including all the front line staff in the food industry.

Farmer

Bobstan 02 April, 2020 22:04
Unlike last week we knew this was happening. Great response where we live too, FW (aka JCW).

Grockle 02 April, 2020 23:50
Mine included a few for the Amazon delivery chaps and chapesses.

(Sm72)

Sloop John B 03 April, 2020 08:30
All the above plus the volunteer angels who are delivering food and medication to the old and vulnerable . A good showing last evening in Longmead Way. One ninety year old was so keen to join in she tripped on leaving her house and fell headlong. Luckily she only suffered a bruise to her head

Tom Seymour 03 April, 2020 19:30
Many people out last evening to show their support and immense gratitude to all NHS staff, care providers, support workers and far too many others to mention. It was what I expected from the wonderful citizens of Wells.

I have always fought the corner for all NHS staff acknowledging, in normal as well as exceptional times such as this, their skills and dedication to be there for us all.

God bless them all.

(Sm152) (Sm152) (Sm152)

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net