Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: FAKE 2020 CC1 v Warwickshire @ Taunton
Grockle 27 April, 2020 21:37
That strategy would probably result in a need to declare sometime tomorrow so what kind of score/ time would that be expected to happen?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2020 21:53 by Grockle.

Grockle 27 April, 2020 21:55
So when Warwickshire come up 46 short of the follow on, as recommended Tom does not enforce the follow on but returns to the crease.

Despite losing his own wicket and Eddie's cheaply before the close Somerset end the day at 66 for 2 256 ahead with 8 wickets still in hand and two days left.

(Sm72)

Farmer White 27 April, 2020 22:01
Assuming a good forecast, we are 100 ahead tonight and we actually rack up a score, the Headingley 2018 declaration was as ideal as you could get a declaration. That set them about 420 in 104 overs. Four an over over that length of time is a tough ask unless the wicket is very flat (in which case bat them out of it). Also gives our pace attack eight free overs at them at the end of the third day, a ball still new at the beginning of the fouth day, and another new ball for 24 overs if needed at the end of the fourth day.

Farmer

Edited due to being unable to count. Apologies. Set them 450.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2020 22:04 by Farmer White.

Grockle 27 April, 2020 22:10
We are already 256 ahead so a total over 400 should be up sometime in the afternoon tomorrow giving us 4 spells at them.

However, the weather on Day 4 is a little dark and gloomy so conditions may beat us yet because I don't see the Warwickshire batting line-up doing it unless they have a very very good second half of this game.

Then again, It wouldn't be the first time if they did.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 27 April, 2020 22:19
I seem to remember in the match conditions rain is forecast for Wednesday. The pace bowlers will rip through them again

Grockle 27 April, 2020 23:09
Well we'll need to keep an eye on parallel universe rain (though there are no weather prediction sites for fantasy rain I'm afraid and get it over and done with tomorrow if we can. As you say we may rip through them but we have to get the runs first.

Some may say we already have enough?

(Sm72)

Farmer White 27 April, 2020 23:35
I doubt any first-class cricket captain would think it enough. I find there is a general rule in life, and in cricket, that those with the responsibility for decisions are much more cautious in the decisions they make than those who do not have the responsibilty suggest they should be. 400 if there is weather about. 450 if not.

Farmer

Somerset LaLaLa 28 April, 2020 09:07
Even though this is lowly placed Warwickshire, it is not yet a must win match anyway.

As the pitch may deteriorate further, Somerset could have a torrid time to the pacemen today. The decision then becomes, for the second time this match, whether to keep the tailenders at the crease

Grockle 28 April, 2020 15:42
Somerset bat through to lunch though not without incident.

They go in 172 for 6 with Lewis and Craig in (Overton has just arrived after Steve Davies didn't trouble the scorers too much). We are 362 ahead.

Bat on aggressively for an hour/400 whichever comes first then put em in? What do you reckon?

(Sm72)

Farmer White 28 April, 2020 16:15
Bat for an hour and declare at 420 ahead. The extra 20 runs, if we get that far, just makes it feel that much more impossible for the Warwickshire batsmen. We need to demonstrate a ruthless streak. But if the forecast for the final day suggests rain/bad light stoppages, go all out for 400 and then declare.

Farmer

Grockle 28 April, 2020 19:10
400 came quickly and 430 came almost as soon so we declared then with 1 hour before the Tea interval. By the end of the session they needed 377 but Rhodes and Banks are back in the hutch at 54 for 2. Things is looking up.

(Sm72)

Farmer White 28 April, 2020 20:26
Things is, but to be on the safe side a quote from my report on the actual match in 2019 might serve as well here:

"The superstition which lurks in the psyche of virtually every cricket supporter would not permit a single Somerset chicken to be counted or opposition goose to be cooked before the event, however certain their respective destinies seemed to be."

Not that I am superstitious of course.

Farmer

Somerset LaLaLa 28 April, 2020 20:48
Somerset have a fine tradition recently of not losing at home and we wouldn't want break that. Of course there is always Essex at the end of the season to look forwards, but that is a long way off.

We are about to find out if fantasy weather is as unpredictable as the real thing. There is certainly not an option for looking up at the sky

Grockle 29 April, 2020 10:24
We are going to lose 42 minutes to rain at the start of Day 4...… may lose this one to the weather unfortunately.

A turning point in our FAKE 2020 season?

(Sm72)

Grockle 29 April, 2020 14:55
The weather delay does not save Warwickshire who despite a little flutter at the end that takes us into the afternoon session finally succumb some 217 runs behind.

George Bartlett gets the Man of the Match award and we go back on top with 77 points but only really because Yorkshire did not play in this round.

Nevertheless TOP OF THE FANTASY CC1 MA!!

Well done CC1 selectors and on to Surrey at the Oval for the return fixture

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 29 April, 2020 15:59
Following the pattern of actual results...

Grockle 29 April, 2020 16:23
I think the engine is really quite close to the actual prowess of the sides. As I said. It has been going for about 15 years and it has been tweaked over that time and I do think it mirrors quite well what has happened over the time.

I did think it would rain off Day 4 so I'm quite happy it let the game play out.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 29 April, 2020 16:42
I've never played this game before, but an interesting observation is that the overseas/new players made big scores when first playing (Ali, Carberry, Kervezee) or when making changes (Byrom, Bartlett, Cove). Worth trying something when playing the top sides?

Grockle 29 April, 2020 16:51
Maybe but I think we've simply bought 'well' in Carberry and Kervezee and used them where they ought to be. Maybe George is more of a 3 than a 5 while Kervezee is a 5 more than a 3?

Quite a few people were up for Eddie to be introduced into the side last year and we couldn't get him in.

We decided not to play Marcus although in the software he was available as part of the 2019 squad. I wonder whether his form would have shown an improvement

Lots of people are saying they miss him this year - even without cricket. I have to say I don't miss Marcus of 2019. I miss Marcus of 2010 - 2011. there was a master of the art. Last year he was a mere shadow of his former self.

I was very surprised by Mike Carberry's numbers, he was the perfect and I have to say cheap replacement for Marcus while the younger guys got themselves into the first team format.

But it's all fiction.

(Sm72)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net