Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
FAKE 2020 Kent the Return CC1
Discussion started by Grockles.com , 13 May, 2020 19:23
FAKE 2020 Kent the Return CC1
Grockles.com 13 May, 2020 19:23
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2020 16:48 by Grockle.

FAKE 2020 Kent @Canterbury this week
Grockle 10 May, 2020 15:23
Time to get the side ready for game number 6. Return fixture to Kent at Canterbury

Bowlers all fit and raring to go
Azhar Ali fit again and only Mike Carberry not available for this one.

Definite players I suppose are
Tom Abell (but where)
James Hildreth
Lewis Gregory
Jack Leach

I doubt you would drop Steve Davies after the century and he is still the best keeper for four day that we have

Can you drop Alexei Kervezee after his century?
Is Craig Overton a definite?

Who opens?
Who is in at 3?
Who plays 5?
Spinners or Seamers?

I plan to run this from Tuesday I think so I'd appreciate comments and advice

(Sm72)

Re: FAKE 2020 Kent @Canterbury this week
Grockle 10 May, 2020 17:27
Weather conditions seem good for the four days. No rain forecast

Day 1 some cloud in the afternoon but sunshine for the rest
Day 2 mostly cloudy (clearing a little after lunch for a while
Day 3 and 4 clear with rising temperatures on Day 4

(Sm72)

Farmer White 11 May, 2020 14:26
I do not like too many changes at once, especially when a team is doing well. I also like rotation among pace bowlers. 2010 still burns deep. And I like people to be given a fair run when they get into the side, whoever is waiting to come/come back in. I also think we need to be at our strongest against Essex and to do some preparation for that in this match whilst remembering we need to win this match. With those criteria in mind, and having to strike a balance between them here is my starter for ten:

Eddie Byrom retains his slot after two failures because of his century in his first match and, although with Carberry presumably mending he does need a score.

We need Azhar in, with his eye in, against Essex and so he comes into this match in place of George Bartlett, who I think has had just one good innings in five matches, albeit a century. Not an easy call, especially with Bartlett having scored a century more recently than Byrom.

Kervezee should have a run in the side and stays at five. Banton waits.

Davies, in my view is a no-brainer at six.

Jamie Overton needs to come back after his rest and to be ready for Essex. Lewis Gregory should make way for him, solely on the basis of rotation. His back has been suspect in the past and a proper rest now may pay dividends later. That does weaken the middle order but we have to plan for another eight matches, not just this one.

Keep Bess in. In the long run a balanced attack is better if at all possible and he brings huge verve to the team. Some wickets and a few runs would help his cause beyond this match however.

Thoughts for Essex:

Gregory returns. Bess or Josh Davey would currently be in line to make way, although respective performances in this match could just bring Craig Overton into that equation.

Team:-
Abell
Byrom
Azhar
Hildreth
Kervezee
Davies
Bess
Overton C
Overton J
Davey
Leach

I think someone said Azhar has a slightly better Test record at three, Abell is becoming an accomplished opener and Byrom has the potential to become one. I doubt the image of him playing Wagner at Chelmsford will ever leave my memory bank, hence the top three order.

No other changes.

Nothing to disagree with there I am sure ...

Farmer

Somerset LaLaLa 11 May, 2020 16:25
I put some of my thoughts on the Surrey thread.

So we both agree to play either Byrom or Bartlett, I went for the latter on the basis of an 'ever present'.

Dropping Gregory on the basis of rotation is a really interesting point. He is one of our best wicket takers and averaging a lot of runs. I would keep him in, just to get over the line with Kent.

I also think, this game is the one to give Banton another opportunity, at the expense of Kervezee.

Your only statement Farmer that I would not really agree with is Abell being accomplished as an opener in the Fantasy Championship. However, I would only put him lower down the order for Essex and hopefully that will do the trick.

Cove, Jove and Leach would bowl for me. The other to be Brooks or Davey, and only Bess if the pitch wear rating is not looking good.

Somerset LaLaLa 11 May, 2020 16:37
In other words, for a seaming wicket:

Abell, Ali, Bartlett, Hildreth, Banton, Davies, Gregory, Cove, Brooks, Jove, Leach

Bess for Brooks on a spinning wicket

Shep???

Shepton Paul 2 11 May, 2020 18:52
Id have SLL's team, but Bess for Davey. Otherwise not enough bowling variety, and tail too long.

Grockle 11 May, 2020 19:46
Gee thanks guys!!

(Sm72)

Farmer White 11 May, 2020 21:08
No problem Grockle. Management is a tough old job and we staff are here to make it so.

Farmer

Grockle 12 May, 2020 08:07
So Byrom or Bartlett?

Banton or Keevezee?

2 spinners?

Overton or Overtons?

Does that about sum it up?

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 12 May, 2020 08:31
Looks good Grockle, but I don't think you've let us have the pitch conditions. Apart form the weather, which is a bat first if you can.

Grockle 12 May, 2020 10:47
Relating to conditions, the only info I have is that;
The light is Very Good
The outfield is fast
Wear of the pitch is good (whatever that means)
and the Bounce is good

Hope that helps massively

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 12 May, 2020 11:58
I would suggest that the lower the rating for wear, the more that is in the pitch (particularly later on) for the spin bowlers. It seemed to work that way at the Oval (wear average).

Here though, there is a little in it for both seamers (bounce good) and spinners (good).

Maybe opt for the second spinner on Farmer's use of the word 'verve' ?

Grockle 12 May, 2020 14:23
OK based on 'form' and conditions the side suggested is;

Abell
Azhar
Bartlett
Hildreth
Kervezee (Banton form is still 2/3 star out of 5 - Kervezee through the roof at 5)
Davies
Gregory
Bess
Overton
Jamie or Davey or Brooks (not much in it)
Leach

So final comments before we start to put this game together?

(Sm72)

Old Boy! 13 May, 2020 10:45
Some bad news I'm afraid! half-a-dozen of the lads have just tested positive for the virus! What happens now?
Old Boy!

Grockle 13 May, 2020 12:15
It's OK.

In the parallel universe, the governments of the world took the pandemic seriously and a vaccine has already been developed that works as quickly as the test and gives 100% immunity while providing a rosey perspective on life in general, a love of humanity and a lack of concern for materialism that was there before the pandemic made people look at 'community' in a different way

So in front of heaving summer crowds who have found a new love for Championship cricket.....

And you're back in the room....

(Sm72)

Grockle 13 May, 2020 14:51
Right

No new comments so I am going with

Abell
Ali
Bartlett
Hilderth
Kervezee
Davies
Gregory
Bess
Overton C
Leach

PLUS

The decision is between Jack Brooks (27.18 econ rate 3.54) Josh Davey (27.75 econ rate of 3.02) and Jamie (33.29 econ rate of 3.6)

I'm gonna go for Jack unless someone come up with a reason why not. We are batting in a manner that suggests the slight difference in economy rate doesn't matter all that much

Going to start the game about 4 so speak now or forever hold thy peace

(Sm72)

Grockle 13 May, 2020 16:11
OK so Brooks gets the nod. Tom requests a toss, wins it and we bat first

(Sm72)

Re: FAKE 2020 Kent the Return CC1
Grockle 13 May, 2020 19:28
319 for 7 at the end of the day. Bartlett 106 not out - the man is in form again. Lewis falls at 50 and there's a smattering of mid 30 scores. Not a bad first day but we could do with nearer 400 than 300.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 13 May, 2020 20:43
but higher scoring than the actual match last year

Grockle 13 May, 2020 21:38
Different time of a fake year?

(Sm72)

Farmer White 14 May, 2020 09:28
And very different weather. At Canterbury in 2019 play was possible in only five of the twelve sessions, three on the second day when the sun shone brilliantly and two on the fourth when play took place under a fast-moving conveyor belt of low grey cloud. Fortunately Somerset needed only four of those sessions to win the match. On both playing days the ball moved all day, in the air and off the pitch. To emphasise that point, on the first, gloriously sunny, day of play 22 wickets fell. Of those 22, ten were lbw, four were bowled and three caught behind, evidence of a persistently moving ball if ever there was one. The ball does move when the sun is out.

As Brian Close once said to the preceding batsman after being out, second ball I think it was, "Tha told me it was seaming. Tha didn't tell me it was moving too." And Jamie Overton bowled one of the best and fastest balls I have ever seen to bowl Joe Denly "through a gap that wasn't there," as I put it at the time. In fact it was an optical illusion created by the speed of events. Denly's perfectly directed defensive bat had closed the gap after the ball had gone through.

Quick link to my report of that day for anyone interested:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Somerset LaLaLa 14 May, 2020 15:30
That was the match, we were jumping up and down dreaming that Somerset were going to win the championship. Was it the 'high point' of our 2019 season, not for the first time we peaked early...

Grockle 14 May, 2020 19:33
George gets his 150 and carries his bat. Partnerships with Craig and both Jacks get us past 400 (412).

Then a 5-fer for Craig and 3 for Brooksie put Kent in the mire all out for 164.

I didn't enforce being 248 ahead and we go into Day 3 314 ahead with the loss of Tom Abell for 22. Azhar 22 George 14.

I'd say it was a decent day.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 15 May, 2020 13:00
What is the talk around the ground about a declaration? It's fine weather and 450 ahead was suggested for Warwickshire, if there were to be no interruptions. That would be mid-afternoon here. Can Kent get anywhere near that?

Grockle 15 May, 2020 14:32
We'll see what it's like at lunch but I think 450 would be way beyond them even if Renshaw fires.

(Sm72)

Farmer White 15 May, 2020 15:35
500 for an early tea would set them four an over over something like 130 overs. A safe as you can get, plenty of time to bowl them out, and leaves a bit more in the legs of the pace bowlers for the start of the fourth day and Essex. I won't lose any sleep though if it is 450.

Farmer

Grockle 16 May, 2020 13:19
Well we decided to call it a day at 466 with an hour before Tea and I reported on the rest of the day. Came down this morning to play Day 4 to find I'd forgotten to save the end of Day 3!!

So... I thought. "Play it exactly the same way" and declare if you can at 466. It went pretty much the same way though Azhar got a few more but the 50s were the same. We got to 467 a little earlier and we declared 1hour 15 minutes before the Tea interval.

So, again I played it exactly the same way with the same bowling changes. However, the Kent men didn't go the same way and neither did Dom Bess. They were 5 down by Tea with Dom taking 3 for 15 (including Kuhn caught and bowled again) and it didn't go much better for them after the break as the soft underbelly collapsed in a hopeless situation with no one really getting in and making a fight of it.

So.… No day 4. We bowled them out for 103 before the end of play and won by 364 runs!! Man of the match George Bartlett with over 200 runs in the match for one dismissal

122 points in the CC1 and Essex at Chelmsford next.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/59/59_0_1589631521.jpg

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 16 May, 2020 16:49
Don't think the result was in much doubt at the end, so well done for seeing this through.

Not sure what the ECB would say if this happens against Essex?

mikeindex 17 May, 2020 17:02
This is getting unbearable. We are going to walk away with this, I can see it coming. I don't think I can stand any more.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net