Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

County Championship to re-start in August ?
Discussion started by Grizzers , 27 May, 2020 21:09
County Championship to re-start in August ?
Grizzers 27 May, 2020 21:09
[www.espncricinfo.com]

Let’s hope so.

Plenty of issues arising here, some good, some bad, but if it does happen, surely has to be good news.

Grizzers

Re: County Championship to re-start in August ?
Somerset LaLaLa 27 May, 2020 21:32
At first glance this looks interesting and maybe what the championship needs? Not sure how 3 sides get into a final? Which are the 6 west counties: Som, Glocs, Glam, Hants, Worcs and Warks? Hants ground already taken for internationals? But badly needed from a financial point of view. Seems good

wsm fan 27 May, 2020 22:27
Is red ball needed from a financial point of view?
Presumably still any cricket will be without fans so no gate money?
Yet match days will still incur costs.
Players will have to be unfurloughed weeks in advance too at chunky expense.

Even September T20 and even with 25% crowds at best is that financially viable?

Loyal of Lhasa 27 May, 2020 22:32
That's got to be better than nothing. As with the Six Nations, there will be the anomaly that some sides will play three home matches and others only two, but if there are to be no spectators that may matter less.

I had a beer on 14th March (beer is my only tipple) and I have kept my resolution not to touch a drop again either until professional cricket is resumed or when the pubs are open again. So I plan to hang on until August...

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Somerset LaLaLa 27 May, 2020 22:47
On finances, the article mentions the counties concern of refunds:

"The counties are anxious to see a return to cricket, however, fearing the consequences if they are unable to play from September 2019 to April 2021. Not least among their concerns is the prospect of needing to refund membership subscriptions."

wsm fan 27 May, 2020 23:57
I cant believe membership refunds would counter the unfurloughing and costs of putting on behind closed doors cricket.

I expect most counties would take MCC stance of not offering refunds. Unless members were in financial trouble then they could request.
I imagine many county members would accept forgoeing this years to help support their club?
Or maybe in lieu of a reduction on next season?
Obviously some may not, hard to guess.

Clearly a very difficult position for ECB and counties alike.
Just seems odd that there is so much planning & cost going into these bio secure international plans with no fans.
Yet there seems semi positive planning about county cricket at the same time/a little later possibly with fans but drastically less tv/coverage/attention

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/05/2020 23:59 by wsm fan.

nelliec 28 May, 2020 14:53
I would imagine membership would be carried over to next year.
Any spectator cricket would probably be on a ballet system due to number restraints, possibly to members only who would pay for ground access or via an online pay per view season ticket

wsm fan 28 May, 2020 15:45
I personally think a holdover of membership to 2021 very unlikely.
Counties arent in a good financial state.
They NEED membership income.
Somerset LOST £200k in last years accounts.

I think best case will be a reduction on next years membership, i really cant see them giving us a freebie next year.

The MCC membership stance i think will be followed by the vast majority of clubs

cricketharris 28 May, 2020 16:56
I can’t see the point of these games if there’s no-one watching them. Might just as well play games on a computer.

nelliec 28 May, 2020 17:02
Although this might be acceptable for a minority, it is very much like holiday companies who have had no option but to refund or provide credit notes,as they have not legally provided the service that has been paid for.
I would rather they increase the cost of membership next year and provide a credit against that.

wsm fan 28 May, 2020 18:08
A membership is different though, i think?

It's not a season ticket as such.
It is not a simple payment for service.
There are membership benefits. Voting rights etc. Many may not recognise these overly possibly.

There is a moral & PR stance regardless AND a future effect on numbers if too many feel wronged.

Really is not going to be straight forward for Gordon & co to manage.....

Grockle 28 May, 2020 19:32
Quote:
cricketharris
I can’t see the point of these games if there’s no-one watching them. Might just as well play games on a computer.

Don't worry CH. Watching the games isn't any more compulsory.

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe 28 May, 2020 19:45
So many things to be considered if Cricket returns say in August, and Social Distancing is still in force, the Oval are talking in terms coping with a 25% capacity of 6000.
So say Somerset were to restrict to 1500 spectators of the assumed PAID UP current members ( around 4K ?) how will the choice of who attends to be made, Sponsors,Corporate Clients, Premium Members, Family Member, Lifetime, etc etc, not sure I will be very happy if after paying my subs last November I am told I am not one of the chosen, having attended most if not all home matches for the last 15 years, plus supported the Club on many of the away matches, as have done so many others also.
Will the return of this Limited Cricket give the opportunity for clubs not to consider any recompense to its members .
The cost of administration to the Clubs to comply with the restrictions if still in place will surely outweigh the financial gains of each particular game, but perhaps the ECB will award Clubs additional financial support
The management have to think very carefully in which direction they go in trying to please all.
Membership fees are inclusive of VAT, so any fees returned to members the 20% VAT element would be reclaimed by the club.
Personally I would like Members to be given the choice of refund/carry membership over to next season, or make a donation to the Club.
Not sure what the rules are concerning Gifts, Donations Tax wise, but fund raising for the Club over the next years should take priority IMHO.

Just hope all is sorted before letters inviting Membership renewals for 2021 are sent out this October.

Grizzers 28 May, 2020 20:20
Agreed Roger.

In the event that some spectator attendance is possible, the ultimate nightmare for SCCC would be to allocate whatever limited number of tickets are available to members, (having regard to the various different classes of personal and corporate membership), and then have people not turn up on the day.

Good luck to whoever has to decide how any such scheme would function.

Grizzers

Grockle 28 May, 2020 21:12
Assuming counties will get ticket allocations. Has that been specified?

(Sm72)

Des Platt 28 May, 2020 21:40
I must admit I’ve written it off for this year. I’m actually missing following the comments on the cricket on here more than I’m missing cricket itself as I only get to two or three first class fixtures a year, generally the whole of each fixture. I am missing my Saturday league cricket, however. I will never get to see Lancashire win at Scarborough on my birthday now. Probably wouldn’t have done anyway but hoping it pours rain June 14th to the 17th.

I just don’t see any fixtures this year having any meaningful context.

Loyal of Lhasa 28 May, 2020 21:50
I actually think that whatever cricket is played it will be more important for the players than the spectators, giving them an important psychological boost through being allowed to demonstrate their talents and do something that at least 99% of them enjoy. I think the same applies to others professionals, such as actors and musicians, but for sports people it is more critical because their opportunity to perform their chosen sport may be limited by seasonal factors and will definitely be limited by advancing age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2020 10:25 by Loyal of Lhasa.

Mike TA1 28 May, 2020 22:58
To keep people apart they would have to allocate seating for each days play.

We all know how well that works T20 matches. confused smiley

nelliec 29 May, 2020 09:03
The problem now is that there are so many different types of memberships.with different price categories it would be impossible to keep the majority happy
Personally cannot see any one day cricket with spectators this year.

Somerset LaLaLa 29 May, 2020 11:02
Richard Gould suggests the county model is best placed to "weather the storm":

[www.espncricinfo.com]

mikeindex 29 May, 2020 17:20
I appreciate the importance of the numerous financial implications and wouldn't wish to disrupt the debate on them, but with regard to the purely cricketing ones -
What kind of a County Championship would this be?
The CC in the past has always been an all-play-all (at least since the 40s), and even before that most-play-most, league system.
It's also always been played over an entire cricket season.
Would a CC played under the proposed new format have sufficient breadth of scope to:
a] count, even in theory, as the same competition and
b] (perhaps more importantly, especially from the Somerset viewpoint) - be worth putting on the shelf even if it were to be won?
I'm all for top-class cricketers having a bit of competitive stuff to keep them sharp, whatever name it's given, but not at all sure that anything that doesn't start till August is worth dignifying as the County Championship. Maybe they could play for some sort of improvised one-off.
The Cummings-and-Goings Trophy?

Des Platt 29 May, 2020 17:52
Quote:
mikeindex
What kind of a County Championship would this be?

I'm all for top-class cricketers having a bit of competitive stuff to keep them sharp, whatever name it's given, but not at all sure that anything that doesn't start till August is worth dignifying as the County Championship. Maybe they could play for some sort of improvised one-off.
The Cummings-and-Goings Trophy?
Fully agree Mike; that’s what I was meaning when I said about lack of context. You’ve put it better

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net