Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: FAKE 2020 CC1 Warwickshire @ Edgbaston
Grockle 24 June, 2020 11:32
We won the toss with the side above and we will bat

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 24 June, 2020 12:12
Thanks for the update, Come On Somerset

nelliec 24 June, 2020 12:40
Can you give us a link to the live stream Grockle 😂😂😂

Grockle 24 June, 2020 18:52
Funnily enough I did check that out but the video slows the game play down and the audio is not there. May do it IF we get to a CC1 title game.

Day 1 not wonderful.... report will be there a little later.

(Sm72)

Grockle 25 June, 2020 10:22
Sorry PC and wifi conspired not to allow me to put Day 1 on last night. Will do it this morning

(Sm72)

Re: FAKE 2020 CC1 @Warwickshire Grin and Bear it?
Grockle 25 June, 2020 11:16
238 all out with only Azhar really firing. Miles 5 for 70

But Cove did a little to redress the balance with 2 for 14 before the end of play Bell out first ball.

(Sm72)

Grockle 25 June, 2020 12:36
34 for 2 at the start of play. All out just 1 hour and 30 minutes later for 82!! Cove 6 for 19, 2 for RvdM in his first over and LG takes the last 2

Do we enforce? 156 runs ahead with 2 days and 2 sessions to go? I'll leave it for an hour or so....

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/06/2020 13:08 by Grockle.

Somerset LaLaLa 25 June, 2020 13:47
The weather conditions for the afternoon session of day 2 look bad for batting.

This pitch is going to deteriorate as the game progresses.

Difficult one, I would ask them to follow on, but when we did that against Kent... they made 350+. It wouldn't be nice to chase 200 on this pitch.

However, I don't expect Warwickshire to score that many. Are they bottom in the division?

nelliec 25 June, 2020 13:53
Think they were bottom

Farmer White 25 June, 2020 14:06
Head on block time. Bat again. Teams usually do better second time around following on. We wouldn't want to chase many against Patel given the behviour of the pitch. If we collapse it does open up te risk of Warks being presented with a target they might just see as achievable and concentrate their minds. There is risk either way. but, I think, unless there is any real indication that the pitch might improve, there is less risk batting again.

Ali's innings is interesting. Sounds like a very similar performance to the one against Ashwin last year.

Farmer

Grockle 25 June, 2020 14:20
Hokay people one for one against. Given the nature of the last couple of days and our extra batsman I'm going to bat them out of this one if I can and see how it goes.

(Sm72)

mikeindex 25 June, 2020 14:35
Enforce the follow-on!! We've only spent 24 overs in the field and our bowlers are on a roll!!

Grockle 25 June, 2020 15:01
Too late Mike.

We didn't and we go into lunch at 16 for 0 172 ahead.

I didn't because we have effectively a 4 man bowling attack and we were where we were because of Craig (It was 5 for 20 by the way Lewis got 3 for 30). We also went into this one with an extra batsman and the bats hadn't exactly been pushed first innings.

Also, except for Miles the Warks attack had been pretty toothless as well. Would like something over 300 ahead at the end of Day 2 and then a smash before lunch and put them in for 5 sessions. As long as the weather doesn't play a part we've been pretty good at getting the best of sides in that scenario.

BUT we'll have to see

(Sm72)

mikeindex 25 June, 2020 15:09
Fair enough. I know I am much more of an enforcer (in follow-on terms) than many these days (looking at you Bagpuss) and I'm not saying my philosophy is always the correct one.
I do think that captains who choose not to enforce not infrequently leave their declaration too late, possibly out of a desire not to give the opposition a sniff having already taken the safety-first option; Ponting regularly did this (and was sometimes rescued by the quality of his bowlers), and it was one of several factors in our failure to finish of Warw in the Hannon-Dalby draw (or should I say the Nick Cook draw) the other year.
Do we get to decide when to declare, should the match situation warrant it, or is that in the hands of our virtual skipper now we've taken the major strategic decision?

Somerset LaLaLa 25 June, 2020 15:53
Interesting to look at the Warwickshire bowler selection for the pitch conditions: 4 medium or medium/fast (Miles, Norwell, Woakes, Rhodes) and 1 spinner (Patel)

Grockle 25 June, 2020 16:42
If things go to plan the declaration may come during the first session tomorrow. Or Warks may decide it for us and make a game of it this afternoon. At Tea we are 107 for 1 263 ahead with Azhar on 55 and George on 33.

Mike Carberey back in for Eddie next match perhaps? Or Bants up front?

(Sm72)

Farmer White 25 June, 2020 16:55
Unless there is weather about I wouldn't declare too early. It isn't just about keeping the game safe (but we do know all about flattening pitches at Taunton and sides winning with scores of over 400 in the fourth innigngs), but, more to the point, about squeezing the last bit of hope out of the opposition. Unless there is a prospect of rain, I would set them at least 450, especially if we continue to pile up runs. That would still give us five sessions, or very near, to bowl them out.

Farmer

mikeindex 25 June, 2020 17:55
Who decides on the declaration? I'm sure this has come up before but I'm taking two minutes out of cooking supper and don't have time to check it out right now.

Somerset LaLaLa 25 June, 2020 18:21
Usually Farmer, using the JCW Declaration Method.

Is it possible to bring Banton up the order for this innings?

Farmer White 25 June, 2020 19:59
Which, where time and weather allow, is to squeeze the spirit out of the opposition and then to set our bowlers on them. Other methods are available, and probably more likely to have worked if mine is applied!

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/06/2020 20:04 by Farmer White.

Grockle 25 June, 2020 20:42
Nothing really goes right for the Bears!!

Ali gets past 50 before he goes.

George Bartlett also goes past 50 before he goes.

Somerset finish on 182 for 4. 338 ahead with Steve Davies and Tom Abell in for tomorrow morning.

I'd have everyone going for it tomorrow!! Tell Tom to put the anchor down and then have Steve, Lewis, Tom, RvdM and Craig give it the long handle to push this score over 400 by lunch.

Then let the boys loose.

(Sm72)

Farmer White 25 June, 2020 20:51
No need to take undue risk. Just plain positive batting from here should get us to a 450 lead, or close enough, by Lunch. From here 112 in a session is perfectly gettable. In a real match I would simply tell the batsmen we want a lead of 450, but will declare at Lunch come what may. They should be able to sort it out between them from there.

Farmer

Grockle 25 June, 2020 22:15
Yeah. It's not hard from here. Just needs to be done.

Hope Banton gets a few. There's a case to be made that Eddie is not getting runs up front and Mike Carberry and Tom may be making a case for a spot.

(Sm72)

Grockle 26 June, 2020 14:44
We push the score in the first session of Day 3. Mostly because of Steve Davies!!

Tom Abell goes for 22.

We promote Tom Banton but Woakes bowls him for 1.

In comes Lewis ready to fire but Woakes bowls him for 1

So Roelof and Steve takes the score to a lead of 400 (with the sixes coming from the keeper) and then on from there to 450 at the end of the day with Davies on 97 and RvdM goind just before the Lunch break for 10.

I didn't declare. I cam back out to let SD get his hundred. BUT Woakes has him LBW for 97 so we declare with a lead of 454.

Well it was a fantasy game and we didn't really need to declare at a certain point. Not sure Warwickshire would have seen it that way though.

(Sm72)

Farmer White 26 June, 2020 15:06
I doubt it makes any difference to the software, and I don't have any stats, but my impression over the years is that changing the batting order mid-innings usually fails. My heart always sinks when Somerset do it. At first-class level I think so much of batting takes place in the mind, and I wonder if sudden promotion disturbs a batsman's mental preparation, which, at first-class level, I suspect starts sometime before the innings does.

None of that is based on any statistics, so may be wide of the mark, but it is an impression which has built up over the years.

Farmer

Grockle 26 June, 2020 17:28
The only thing in its favour here would have been that Tom would have been aware of his movement up the order by one the evening before and would have been waiting to be the next man in.

As it was it made no difference to him or Lewis as Woakes took them both out while on a roll

(Sm72)

Grockle 26 June, 2020 18:09
So 1 and 3/4 hours before Tea Day 3.

454 needed for a Warks victory

Sibley gone at 19 Gregory

Rhodes gone at 61Gregory

Bell gone at 67 Abell

75 for 3 at Tea

Hain gone 93 Gregory

Pollock gone 105 Overton

Hose gone 134 Brooks

Woakes gone 146 Brooks

Miles gone 146 Brooks

Ambrose gone 168 RvdM

End of Day 3 (no half hour option) 170 for 9

I think this one is done?

(Sm72)

Grockle 27 June, 2020 12:34
It took Lewis 2 balls Patel LBW for 5

170 all out Somerset win by 282 runs

Somerset 215 points

Yorkshire 174

Hampshire into third 147

11 games played 3 to go... NEXT YORKSHIRE @ Taunton!!

(Sm72)

Farmer White 27 June, 2020 13:05
Keep calm and play on.

Farmer.

Grockle 27 June, 2020 13:21
No Spinners again it seems. Banton? Byrom? Carberry? Jamie? Josh?

(Sm72)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net