Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Craig Meschede
Discussion started by Sloop John B , 29 June, 2020 15:22
Craig Meschede
Sloop John B 29 June, 2020 15:22
Very sad news from Glamorgan. Craig has had to retire from cricket through injury.
Wish him well for the future.

Re: Craig Meschede
Farmer White 29 June, 2020 15:50
Initially put this on the players old and new thread, but it might more appropriately be here:

I wonder if I saw the origin of that early retirement. I cannot recall the year, but it was early in Meschede's career when he looked to be a rising star. Somerset were at Lord's in a Championship match. I think Philander was playing. Meschede took, or attempted, an astonishing running boundary catch. I cannot recall which. I can recall vividly the outcome. He took the ball whilst running flat out, tumbled full pelt into the ground, landing on his bowling shoulder. It was a sickening blow. He was helped off, took no further part in the match and, I thought, was never the same bowler again. Before the accident he was capable of getting sharp lift, afterwards he was not. I have often wondered if that incident stopped his star rising. Good luck to him in whatever comes next, although these are hard times to be looking for any kind of job.

Farmer

mikeindex 29 June, 2020 17:29
Word to quick bowlers of the Bill Bowes/Fred Rumsey/AA Jones type:
Maybe you had it right all along.

Grockle 29 June, 2020 21:43
I tweeted that we all probably have our 'Meschede' moments. He certainly had some. Sad at 28 but it happens. It must also be affecting his batting capabilities.

(Sm72)

Grockle 29 June, 2020 21:44
Ref job prospects, he may have an opportunity with the German national setup perhaps.

(Sm72)

Railboy 30 June, 2020 13:19
I don't think he was ever meant to be a bowler, i'm pretty sure he had no record at school. As i recall, he couldn't quite nail a regular top 6 batting spot and at the same time we were struggling for bowling. I think both he and the club discovered almost by accident that he could bowl a pretty deceptive away swinger. Whether his body was suited to the task I know not. Schoolmate Alex Barrow was in a similar position, not quite a front line batsmen and hoped wicketkeeping might cement him a spot.

Farmer White 30 June, 2020 14:30
In the same match taht I saw Meschede injured, Barrow played. He opened the innings I think. He came out, drove the ball, along the turf, all around the wicket, scored mainly in boundaries, and was out just short of 50. it was probably the best innings I saw him play.

Farmer

Grockle 30 June, 2020 14:42
That is why I asked about the shoulder injury. He was at odds with the Somerset management about his view and theirs relating to his batting ability and he went to Glamorgan because of the three year contract and the chance to bat further up the order.

So, I assume the injury is more than a bowling one and has affected his ability to bat as well. He did not really push on in that way for the Welsh to be honest once he made the move. One of those players where the assessment of the Somerset staff was probably right.

He could hit a ball though and was exciting when he got it right.

(Sm72)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net