Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
FAKE 2020 CC1 The Finale - Essex at home
Discussion started by Grockles.com , 14 July, 2020 14:57
FAKE 2020 CC1 The Finale - Essex at home
Grockles.com 14 July, 2020 14:57
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/07/2020 16:23 by Grockle.

FAKE 2020 The Finale v Essex @Taunton
Grockle 11 July, 2020 14:36
So we have actually got to the last fantasy CC1 game and it is at home.

It's a bit of an anticlimax in the sense that there is nothing for us to play for other than a 12/1/1 record and as many points as possible. Essex are fighting Notts for the third place so they are keen to win.

We did say we were resting people for the last game and a couple of very Somerset based sides have already been suggested.

It's more a case of who does not play in this one I think

1. Byrom
2. Banton
3. Bartlett
4 Hildreth
5. Abell
6. Davies
7. Gregory
9. An Overton
10. Leach

I think is basically the side with a decision about the second spinner or the third seamer being the only real decisions for this game?

Or have I missed something

If we have the chance I might try a start of the 2020 CC1 season with the actual squad using only Babar and playing the young CC1 side to see how the engine suggests it might do. The only player not available at the start as I think I've said is Banton (IPL I assume) and Babar Azam is the full contract player with Cory as the T20 second one. No mention of Wade - probably not in the frame when the database was updated.

The problem with the programme is that it won't let you simulate - you have to be involved or the lack of guidance goes against the side. I tried a couple of just run the match simulations and we got hammered.

It might be interesting - ish but end of Fantasy land first.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2020 14:37 by Grockle.

Re: FAKE 2020 The Finale v Essex @Taunton
Somerset LaLaLa 11 July, 2020 16:00
I'm going with this: Eddie Abell George Hildy Davies Green Lammonby RVDM Jamie Davey Brooks

Grockle 11 July, 2020 16:15
Why SLLL?

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 11 July, 2020 20:31
This was the team mooted for our forthcoming actual restart. I'm really interested to see how some of these players will fare against the mighty Essex. Everyone we have picked so far has come good, the young Byrom and Bartlett have certainly earned their places in this showdown and surely we have enough bowling firepower without Gregory, Bess, Cove and Leach. Time for a bit of fun in this competition and to go back to reality confident in our lads

Grockle 11 July, 2020 22:16
I'm happy to go with whatever people want but as I posted, I thought about running some CC1 games with the 2020 squad now I have the 2020 version of the game.

The problem with the present versions of the players is that they have the 2019 stats.

If you want to see how this team will do in 2020 I can run a series with them using up to date stuff after next week.

Just info. Happy to play whatever team the selectors pick for next week.

(Sm72)

Grockle 13 July, 2020 11:49
Thanks to everyone who have made this little experiment interesting and a bit of fun during the drought.

I now understand that we have international stuff (and its good international stuff) and moves going on for some live county stuff. That will obviously move attention away from this fantasy stuff.

BUT we have gone this far so I plan to finish this tomorrow. Thanks for comments on the Essex game so far. I intend to go for it as we have so far but if you want to suggest anything related to that then please post today.

I'm presently planning to run it with a side of characters who have been involved in the campaign but with a 'Somerset' emphasis for the 2021 season. That means people playing where they have and using the bowling options we have used.

So
Byrom, Banton, Bartlett, Hildreth, Abell (c), Davies (wk), Gregory, Bess, Overton C, Overton J, Leach

Is my present side for the game supposedly starting in the third week of September at Taunton

(Sm72)

Farmer White 13 July, 2020 13:07
I would be happy with that team. A balance between what has got the fantasy team to where it is and what the real team might look like next year. Hard on Davey and Brooks to be left out, but it would be harder on any of the five bowlers you have included. If the youngsters are good enough they will force their way through when they are the best option for a slot. Better that and them knowing they have earned promotion, I think, or it would be in the real world, than risking one of them getting a drubbing with a winter to dwell on it.

Farmer

Grockle 13 July, 2020 13:50
In a real world I would expect Brooks and Davey to have more part in the championship in the early games than they were in our fantasy version. I'd expect it to be more of a competition between Jack and Dom to be the one spinner. Of course they did have international demands - maybe more of that? Who knows

I also have to admit I've personally become more of a Davey fan than a Brooks one but we also had no real injury aspects from the Overtons - Jamie in particular was fit for most of the season. All those things would have been factors in a reality year I would assume.

I like the look of this team and if the people in it developed this kind of way (especially George taking that third wicket spot) then the county game is in good hands - especially as Babar Azam would have been the batsman for the 2020 season start. Eddie would have a job on

I am expecting Lammonby and a bunch of others to step up - Goldsworthy, Smeed, Green, Aldridge are all coming to the group looking for places to name some.

(Sm72)

Re: FAKE 2020 CC1 The Finale - Essex at home
Grockle 14 July, 2020 15:03
Essex waive the toss and choose to bowl first - Probably exactly what Tom Abell wanted.

It does not go well. The promise of the 3 'B's Byrom, Banton and Bartlett are all swept away by Porter and Siddle and the straight ball on the stumps and on a length.

19 for 3 after 7 overs.

James and Tom put the batting back together and take us to lunch at 106 with a Hildreth 50 and Abell supporting with 33. 106 for 3 at lunch.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 14 July, 2020 16:28
What is the weather? Any reason Essex wanted to bowl?

Grockle 14 July, 2020 17:12
Weather has interfered in this one. We lost 40 odd minutes before an early tea just after Siddle got rid of James. Then another hour and 20 minutes after Tea before Tom Abell went past 50 to 75 and Steve Davies added 29. Somerset will finish the day on 183 for 4 which is a hell of a lot better than 15 for 3 one has to say.

(Sm72)

Grockle 15 July, 2020 11:33
Rain affecting fantasy like it did the 2019 game. Day 2 will start 47 minutes late.

(Sm72)

Grockle 15 July, 2020 13:57
Play starts just before 12 and Tom finally falls for 88 to Siddle. Steve Davies passes 50 and has reached 73 before the lunch break 253 for 5 and the new ball just been taken.

More rain after lunch. No play expected until at least 2:45pm

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/07/2020 14:09 by Grockle.

Grockle 15 July, 2020 21:37
A rain affected Day 2 with nearly 3 hours lost to weather.

Steve Davies goes just after lunch for 73. No one else really pushes the game forward so Abell declares just before Tea giving Craig just enough time to send Cook back.

Lewis gets Browne when they get back on just before 5 and Essex end at 40 for 2

(Sm72)

Grockle 16 July, 2020 11:28
Bit of a surprise but Essex may not reach follow on target. They'll be close but may be out before lunch Day 3.

Do Somerset enforce in a weather affected game with about 5 sessions left?

May not happen... working ahead.

(Sm72)

Farmer White 16 July, 2020 12:02
Follow-on decision depends on the forecast to my mind. If significant rain expected, then enforce. If not, bat again. It should still give us a day, or the best part of it, to bowl them out again and avoids the possibility of having to bat out against Harmer under pressure on a fourth day pitch.

Farmer

mikeindex 16 July, 2020 13:31
Abell's well-timed declaration is very much in character , computer showing excellent psychological skills.
The follow-on option is extremely hypothetical given the small target and only two wickets down so far, but (to no-one's surprise, especially Bagpuss) I would certainly enforce should it arise.
(edited for typo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2020 14:02 by mikeindex.

Grockle 16 July, 2020 13:55
We enforced according to majority of advice!!

(Sm72)

mikeindex 16 July, 2020 14:16
We bowled them out under 132?? Wow.
We need this computer to play the 2021 Championship (supposing there is one).
The ECB could then deduct 256 points for a substandard computer.

Grockle 16 July, 2020 14:35
Dom Bess bowls 3 in 2.2 overs and Essex are out for 124. Bess 5.2/0/8/3...

Essex 8 for 0 at Lunch 150 behind.

(Sm72)

Grockle 16 July, 2020 16:04
The spinners start their drive to the end of the final game after lunch. Gregory has Cook who contributes 5 in this game. When he fails Essex tend to. Bess is on early after the interval and they have real trouble with him and Lawrence falls to him but it is when Leach arrives that things get hard. He has Bopara and Ten Deschate before Tea.

Essex 101 for 4 still 57 behind looking down the barrel with not a lot to come and the end in sight.

Before the end of the day? It has happened before in this parallel universe.

(Sm72)

Farmer White 16 July, 2020 16:23
Oh dear Grockle. Count ye not chickens until the opposition goose is fully cooked.

Farmer

Grockle 16 July, 2020 16:31
Well they are going to have to do well to set us anything and once Cook, Bopara and Ten'Deschate are gone in an Essex innings I'm happier. Browne goes and Essex are pretty much cooked. I think we'll bat again and win sometime before lunch tomorrow. Parallel means different Somerset perception. Somerset have won this one!!!

(Sm72)

Grockle 16 July, 2020 20:36
Essex can't stop this one. Bess and Leach carry on after the tea interval and with a little help from the speed of Jamie Overton they take out the rest of the Essex batting lineup for 145.

Jack Leach ending with 5 for 18 in 16.4 overs and Jamie blasting out 2 for 19 to unsettle the back end.

Somerset win by an innings and 13 runs in what would, if it was real, be true champion style,

As this was a 'dead rubber' in relation to the season, one would imagine that just after the end of play , Tom Abell would have been awarded the trophy and the pendant might already have been flying from the Somerset side of the Caddyshack.

But it isn't so.... we can still but dream.

Thanks for staying with this those who did.

It ended up going much longer than I expected and the result was only predicted by 'Index the Oracle' early on.

I kept expecting the machine to do the dirty on us but I suppose as performances kept coming the data kept making us favourites.

The cynics will laugh as the daftness of it. I think it was a pretty accurate 'possible' season - no one did things that were particularly surprising other than the whole team were consistent BUT at levels of ability that were not surprising.

I've said it online and I'll repeat it here. I did NOTHING to manipulate this result. There was little I could do anyway. I had to play every game but I simply took decisions about bowling changes when people got tired - the only thing I did was decide who would bowl next. EVERYTHING else came from the machine, I could have decided bowlers lengths and whether they bowled around the wicket. I tried that in the first game and it was so time consuming that I didn't do it again.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/59/59_0_1594927438.jpg

It is what fantasy made it

(Sm72)

nelliec 16 July, 2020 20:47
Excellent effort on your part Grockle. Have at least given us something to get our heads round and debate over the last couple of months.Now for the virtual reality of the Bob Willis Trophy , and then hopefully all back to normal.

Farmer White 16 July, 2020 21:09
Yes, quite an effort to stick with that through 14 'matches', whatever you say Grockle.

Farmer

Grockle 16 July, 2020 21:59
Well it did become a bit obsessive in the end. I did expect it to be closer but the end result was satisfying in the sense that we planned things and they worked out - people did their jobs really.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 17 July, 2020 11:21
Terrific entertainment throughout the competition and well done for having the idea during lockdown, running with it and the write-ups.

We found out what most of us knew (and Tom Harrison fears) that Somerset have a very, very good side. This was also a good trial for the software Cricket Captain with the great minds of this site, it seemed to me highly realistic.

The discussion around the matches was a lot of fun and I can return to Taunton one day having a little extra cricket knowledge. Count me in for the next lockdown

Grockle 17 July, 2020 12:18
Cheers SLLL - the fact that we kept doing the business kept it interesting I think - not sure we would have made it to the end of a mediocre season.

I did run the first game of the 2020 CC1 season on the 2020 version with this side with Babar replacing Tom Banton (on IPL duty).

After letting the PC run the University game - win by an innings and 97 runs Hildreth 176 Abell 120 Gregory 10 for 82 in the match Leach 3 for 46

I ran Warwickshire - They won the toss and batted

Day 1 LUNCH 81 for 1 (Rhodes) Sibley 36 TEA 174 for 2 (Bell) Sibley 86
STUMPS 270 for 8 as bowlers get among them Sibley goes for 104

Day 2 All out for 287
LUNCH 66 for 1 (Babar) TEA 171 for 4 Eddie 69 James over 50
STUMPS 267 for 5

Day 3
James 100 (173 balls 14 fours 1 six) goes at 120 All out 328

LUNCH Warks 18 for 1 (Rhodes)
Rain (50 minutes) at 74 for 2
TEA 74 for 3 Hain 50
STUMPS 198 for 3

Day 4 Burgess 83 Hain 99

LUNCH 288 for 7 Declare at 320 for 8 279 ahead about an hour after lunch

TEA 70 for 3
George 100 (153 balls 7 fours 1 six) Tom Abell 50

STUMPS 197 for 3

DRAW
Vernon spell of 25/6/45/2 (Ist innings)
Craig 23.3/2/63/4 (1st)
Lewis 32/3/79/3 (2nd)
Dom 24/4/71/3 (2nd)

Interesting

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2020 12:22 by Grockle.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net