Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Friendly Somerset v Gloucestershire
Discussion started by Somerset LaLaLa , 25 July, 2020 15:02
Friendly Somerset v Gloucestershire
Somerset LaLaLa 25 July, 2020 15:02
Starts tomorrow (Sunday), behind closed gates, with a live stream apparently.

Tom Abell (c), George Bartlett, Jack Brooks, Eddie Byrom, Josh Davey, Steve Davies (wk), Nathan Gilchrist, Ben Green James Hildreth, Tom Lammonby, Roelof van der Merwe, Craig Overton, Jamie Overton

Gloucestershire - Chris Dent, Miles Hammond, George Hankins, Graeme van Buuren, Ryan Higgins, Gareth Roderick (wk), George Scott, Tom Smith, David Payne, Matt Taylor, Josh Shaw, Tom Price, Harry Hankins

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/07/2020 12:53 by Grockle.

Re: Friendly Somerset v Gloucestershire
Grockle 26 July, 2020 11:47
Interesting that Craig has taken Pete's number 7 shirt. A mark of respect and passing of the torch?

Also there are side cameras this year so we get the whole pitch.

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/07/2020 12:50 by Grockle.

nelliec 26 July, 2020 12:36
A little background sound over the feed every now and then .Very isolated rain.Hammering down inI Galmington for 10 minutes before reached ground.Sun out again now

AGod 26 July, 2020 14:38
Thoughts, anyone, on Nathan Gilchrist, thus far?

I might be proven wrong, but I rather fancy that he has the sort of slightly slingy action which is liable to allow him to reverse swing the ball quite well at a lively pace.

Reverse swing is not only a very useful skill for a bowler to have, but also not one for which any of our other pacemen are particularly noted (when he first came on the scene, LG was very good at reverse-swing with the white ball, but not really anymore).

So, anyway, I have been encouraged with Nathan's display.

Grockle 26 July, 2020 14:45
Well Brooksie has just speared one in. 138 for 5 so the bowling is moving nicely

(Sm72)

Grockle 26 July, 2020 14:46
Like the bat taps on the fours... at full stretch

(Sm72)

Grockle 26 July, 2020 14:56
Tom A getting a bit of outswing. The ambient mics suggest a 'bit' of breeze but you can never be sure how much from outside mics usually placed an amount of distance above ground.

(Sm72)

AGod 26 July, 2020 15:36
Now that the season is (sort of) underway, I've finally got around to opening my Wisden.

Upon turning to the section on the 2019 CC, I was confronted with the ECB table of merit for pitches.

As we know, we came a cropper with a pitch penalty at the end of the season... but which county, in the opinion of the umpires (who give these grades) had *by far* the worst pitches in the land?

Yep, it was Essex:

CC1 Ratings:

*Essex* 4.00*

Somerset 4.89

Hants 4.38

Notts 5.14

Surrey 4.89

Warks 5.33

Yorks 5.75

Kent 4.78

Interesting, perhaps, to note - too - that Edgbaston, which turned square for most of the season, was given an immensely favourable grade.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/07/2020 15:47 by AGod.

Grockle 26 July, 2020 15:49
Are there criteria for the grades? It always seems to be a subjective measurement which rarely takes into account context if groundsmen's comments are anything to go by.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/07/2020 16:04 by Grockle.

AGod 26 July, 2020 15:54
They do indeed have published criteria, yes. Whether the published criteria are adhered to with sufficient rigour may be another matter.

Grockle 26 July, 2020 16:06
Yep I think I've come across an organisation that operates on something like the same lines if that is the case. We had a thing called OFSTED though I'm going back over a decade now.

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse 26 July, 2020 16:06
Glo`shire batsman Gareth Roderick is moving to Worcestershire on a three-year contract in November. Looks like a good capture on his form at Taunton today.

AGod 26 July, 2020 16:52
I think Cove looks like he's on his mettle. Some of the rest look like they have a few more cobwebs to blow away across the duration of this contest.

Grockle 26 July, 2020 17:04
It's what its for after all. They are certainly trying them all out which is good.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 26 July, 2020 22:09
Agree about Craig, getting the key wicket of Ryan Higgins. who was averaging 60 last season - Labuschagne territory. Also good for Jamie getting Chris Dent. Weather not looking great tomorrow

Railboy 27 July, 2020 09:49
Thank you AG 15.38.

Railboy 27 July, 2020 09:51
Thank you AG 15.38. It was my belief at the time that we rolled over far too easily, and to me this confirms it. i wonder if we even presented this as evidence? What would Man City have done?

Bobstan 27 July, 2020 12:11
Maybe I'm missing something, but surely a very decent average pitch grade makes the case against us for this one match stronger rather than weaker. This does not imply that I agree with the points deduction for 2021!

AGod 27 July, 2020 12:38
But the table implies that Essex can count themselves fortunate* to have regularly skated (just) on the right side of the line.. and it's also interesting to see that despite a boat-load of turn, Warks pitches graded out extremely highly.

*Or, at the very least, that people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones .... in other words that they shouldn't have whinged so much about the pitch for final game, given how often they prepared their own tracks to give immense help to Simon Harmer).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/07/2020 12:40 by AGod.

cricketharris 27 July, 2020 13:15
Before joining us Scott Hawkins was the deputy head at Chelmsford.

Somerset LaLaLa 27 July, 2020 13:57
Kent v Essex at Canterbury sticks in mind, where Kent were all out for 40. With Cook and Westley, they were always able to make a few more runs

nelliec 27 July, 2020 14:40
Interesting opening partnership Byrom and Lammonby!!Did anyone see that happening?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/07/2020 14:42 by nelliec.

mikeindex 27 July, 2020 15:19
Watching Eddie B's technique when leaving the ball alone outside off - ah, the nostalgia...

Grockle 27 July, 2020 15:46
Before Banton sort of burst out of nowhere last year and while Tom L was being used as a white ball seamer I was being told by more than one about the place that Lammonby was THE batsman in a decent crop. I haven't seen it myself yet I have to say but these didn't seem to be idle musings by the ill informed

(Sm72)

Grockle 27 July, 2020 16:06
With the sounds from the ground, if you did not know better you really would think Taunton was a port on the coast!!

(Sm72)

Grockle 27 July, 2020 16:07
What happened to van Buuren?

(Sm72)

Grockle 27 July, 2020 16:53
100 up Eddie and Tom A going well.

(Sm72)

Tom Seymour 27 July, 2020 17:02
Quote:
Grockle
Are there criteria for the grades? It always seems to be a subjective measurement which rarely takes into account context if groundsmen's comments are anything to go by.

It is IMO very subjective!

Some years ago I was in a frank conversation with a noted individual at the County Ground. He apparently stood in as a locum (if you like) CEO of the club when there was an interregnum before the new chap took up his post.

In that role he told me that the CEO's had to obtain the pitch marking sheets from the umpires at the end of the game and forward them on to the ECB (probably TCCB at the time). After one particular game he was very concerned that the markings from the two umpires were poles apart in their scores, so quickly contacted Lord's to tell them of the disparity. The official to whom he spoke asked him whether the umpire who gave the low mark was by any chance ***** ********, to which he replied "Yes".

Oh, don't worry about it said the official - he always marks much lower than everyone else.

Well, that is how it was told to me.

I don't want to name him because it would serve no purpose, save to say that he was a well respected Test Match umpire and served on the First Class umpire's list for a record length of time. He has now of course retired.

nelliec 27 July, 2020 17:12
Bottle what Toms on at the moment .5 fours in an over square and through cover.Batting practice!!!

Grockle 27 July, 2020 17:32
A couple of years ago a pitch inspector sent to look at a pitch at Taunton for possible problems came up to get info from the scorers. Old professional, asked candidly what his opinion might end up being responded by saying in so many words; 'English batsmen can't play spin but they won't want me to write that'

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/07/2020 22:25 by Grockle.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net