Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Willis Trophy Round 1
AGod 02 August, 2020 10:26
Mr Hemphrey -dearie, dearie me.. I think he started the day on about, what, minus 120 runs following three awful drops at slip?

So he's about minus 117 so far for the game, after being dismissed for 3!

AGod 02 August, 2020 10:41
The difference between CC1 and CC2 is this:

There are bowlers, in both divisions, fully capable of good balls or even good spells.

But, as a rule, CC2 bowling units don't hunt as a pack and apply consistent pressure.

CC2 batting line-ups, therefore, simply don't see concerted pressure like this and are, thus, ill-equipped to deal with it.

In the case of Glamorgan, they are further hampered by the most turgid home tracks in the competition... a track that has some pace and bounce, such as ours, is also largely foreign to them.

wsm fan 02 August, 2020 10:46
Wow, look what happens when you give your England test bowler the new ball 😱😱😱

AGod 02 August, 2020 10:59
Something tells me, WSM, that all of our pace bowlers will enjoy plenty of success against this particular batting line-up.

That said, I don't know why Craig hasn't had the new cherry more often.

AGod 02 August, 2020 11:02
Glamorgan dressing room thought bubble for their batsmen:

"Thank God we didn't get promoted last year, after all."

(They actually came close which says rather a lot, sadly, about CC2)

Grockle 02 August, 2020 11:04
When Josh Davey has the ball moving in, why would you not play a shot when you've seen it happen twice?

Oh dear Glamorgan. They may be back in before lunch at this rate.

(Sm72)

AGod 02 August, 2020 11:59
Ball number 28.3 from Jamie?

Well, Viv or Tendulkar might have nicked it. Not the slightest chance of G G Wagg doing so, of course.

Brooks apart, it's been a terrific bowling display this morning.

Wickham 02 August, 2020 12:32
Yes, great stuff from the bowlers and some very good catches too.

My feeling is that we will bat again, even if we have the opportunity to ask Glamorgan to follow on. That is partly to enable the bowlers (who won’t yet be match-fit) to take a rest and partly to give our batsmen batting practice ahead of our next matches.

Bagpuss 02 August, 2020 12:40
Agree Mr Wickham. If we hadn't had that short delay for rain and Glamorgan had been rolled before lunch, maybe the follow on would have been enforced. But we are only a third of the way through this match and the forecast is fairly good for the remaining time (and as I type a sharp shower arrives on the southern edge of the Blackdowns).

Farmer White 02 August, 2020 12:44
The follow-on has been increased to 200 runs for the Willis Trophy to help protect bowlers because of the lack of full match fitness. Glamorgan only need 22 more runs to avoid it. Like Wickham, and for the same reasons I doubt Somerset will enforce it if they have the opportunity.

Farmer

AGod 02 August, 2020 13:13
Overtons to De Lange.. rich entertainment potential coming up..

Loyal of Lhasa 02 August, 2020 13:28
I simply don't understand this business of making concessions because bowlers lack match fitness. Doesn't that apply at the start of every season?

I assume that the 120 overs per innings applies only to the first innings. Otherwise it would be completely nonsensical.

AGod 02 August, 2020 13:36
It does. It may be that there has been less organised and collective training prior to week one of the CC this season, than there usually is? I don't remember when players were finally able to start collective training again after the enforced Covid hiatus?

AGod 02 August, 2020 13:39
I think it might soon be time to give Roelof an exploratory over or two.

Grizzers 02 August, 2020 18:20
Superb day and some terrific bowling.

Wonder if Mr Gibson will have the spherical objects to ask Craig about his contract ?

Grizzers

Grockle 02 August, 2020 18:58
He may not want to talk to Tregs after taking the proverbial about him opening the bowling for Notts!!

And on the highlights of the first Day from the main Willis Trophy office.... who the hell is "Tom Hildreth"?

(Sm72)

AGod 02 August, 2020 19:18
Mr Gibson could have found a rather less blunt way of expressing his surprise at the news from Trent Bridge.

It is a pretty stunning piece of news, though - hugely unexpected, to put it mildly.... I can't help but imagine that, this time last year, Peter himself would never again have expected to be handed a new ball in first-class cricket.

Notts and Warks are both examples of well-resourced counties who allowed things to get old and stale over a period of time, and now have multiple issues with fielding decent teams.

Grockle 02 August, 2020 21:17
Yes he was a bit 'blunt' then mentioned Sam might be listening! I'm sure that Pete possibly asked for confirmation of the decision and then put his back into it. But it is a point that if Notts are looking to Pete for their new ball attack they have issues or there were very specific conditions that catered to the Trego method.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 22:04 by Grockle.

Loyal of Lhasa 02 August, 2020 21:37
Quote:
Grockle
And on the highlights of the first Day from the main Willis Trophy office.... who the hell is "Tom Hildreth"?

What's the problem. A few years ago all our players were called Craig (Kieswetter, Meschede, Overton, Trescothick, Trego etc); now they're all called Tom.

Following Somerset's splendid progress in this match (since 148/8), I cannot help thinking how well we might have played in a full CC season, with a side that had room for Gregory, two Test spinners and an overseas batsman.

Grockle 02 August, 2020 22:06
True... and a number of years ago they were all called Piran... I remember now.... and they were all wicket keepers

(Sm72)

Farmer White 03 August, 2020 03:40
Here is the link to my Second Day report:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

And in case anyone still wishes to read my First Day report, the link is here:[

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Wickham 03 August, 2020 08:04
Another very enjoyable report, JCW. But posted at 4.40 - you don’t have the excuse that it took you a long time to return home from the ground! I hope that you have time to pack your lunch before the first ball of today’s play.

somexile 03 August, 2020 10:22
Yesterday not mentioned on commentary but picked up on effects mic was one of the Peregrine Falcons calling

Farmer White 03 August, 2020 10:31
Thank you Wickham. I may be at home, but it didn't stop me being late for the start this morning. And missing a wicket ...

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 10:37 by Farmer White.

Wickham 03 August, 2020 10:33
Did the peregrines nest again at the top of the tower of St Mary's?

Sloop John B 03 August, 2020 16:31
Yes Shaun. And fledged at least three young.

Scrumper 03 August, 2020 16:44
Silly Billy!

Is Lammonby just a batsman now?

I assume BG isn't allowed to bowl if he's GB's replacement.

Grizzers 03 August, 2020 17:45
Encouraging performances by Tom A & Ben today.

Hopefully, George's concussion related absence is just a precaution.

Meantime, Messrs. Overton now have 11 of the 16 Glamorgan wickets so far to fall.........

Grizzers

Loyal of Lhasa 03 August, 2020 19:22
Quote:
Sloop John B
Yes Shaun. And fledged at least three young.

Have Surrey pinched them yet?

Wickham 03 August, 2020 21:11
Thanks, SJB. Good to know that the peregrines have been almost as productive as the Overtons (and possibly even speedier - though I’m not sure that even a peregrine could match the final ball thunderbolt from Jamie).

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net