Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cove resigns....
Discussion started by AGod , 06 August, 2020 13:20
Cove resigns....
AGod 06 August, 2020 13:20
... I left out the hyphen to get you you all going!!! hahah

Andy Hurry, unsurprisingly, "delighted," to announce that Craig has inked a new 3-year deal.

The player is "delighted," to say and hell-bent on finally delivering that elusive CC title.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2020 13:22 by Grockle.

Re: Cove resigns....
Bobstan 06 August, 2020 13:39
Surely unanimous pleasure among all followers of Somerset.

Somersetallthewayhome 06 August, 2020 13:40
Boom... Made my dayπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

nelliec 06 August, 2020 13:43
Excellent need for all convened with the club

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2020 13:44 by nelliec.

Sloop John B 06 August, 2020 13:47
The best news!! Three year extension a real commitment to the club . Thanks Craig πŸ˜€

Nailsea_Fizz 06 August, 2020 13:54
Excellent news - Hope all those gnashed teeth mend soon.

Wickham 06 August, 2020 14:10
Fantastic news - not only because it secures the services of our most important player, but also through the message it sends to other ambitious players (who, if Cove had departed, might have doubted whether it was worth staying) and to supporters, at a time when the Club needs our support more than ever.

AG: I had read the news on the Cricketer site, before logging on here, which has spared you from being sued for the omission of the hyphen!

Farmer White 06 August, 2020 14:15
There are days on which the sun shines, whatever the weather. This is one such, and how it is shining now.

And just a thought for Jamie. He has chosen a different path. I wish him the very best of good fortune as he travels along that path. It would be wonderful one day to see him and Craig bowling in tandem for England. I am not a betting man, but I would not advise betting against it.

Farmer

Grockle 06 August, 2020 14:21
A moment of shock and then deep deep Joy. Well done club, well done Craig now let's build around him and get this club a Championship!!

Deep deep relief as well - I wasn't hopeful of this.

(Sm72)

Craig signs 3 year deal
nelliec 06 August, 2020 13:39
Finally some good news!!!
Sorry AG .Missed your post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2020 13:41 by nelliec.

Somerset LaLaLa 06 August, 2020 15:12
Well done Craig for showing his commitment to the club and well done to those involved at Somerset CCC.

Surely the door is always open for Jamie to come back.

I nominate Craig as the 'Hero of 2020'.

And AG for the worst joke

Railboy 06 August, 2020 15:23
What great news. Shows we are clearly committed to spiting Graves and keeping our place at the top table!
We now need to build around him, Lewis, Tom and maybe George a team capable of winning a championship before it or i expire

AGod 06 August, 2020 15:29
Stuff Graves.

And yes, Grockle, Craig's comments about other counties possibly being better for further honours, didn't seem to bode well... perhaps they were a final little negotiating tactic to drive the deal over the line!

Re: Cove re - signs....
Tom Seymour 06 August, 2020 15:32
Yes, even I have to agree that it is good news for 2021 and beyond - news that I had doubts we would receive, so well done.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Grizzers 06 August, 2020 15:34
Thank goodness for that.

Am so relieved to see this news. Such a massive shame that Jamie has left, but securing Craig's services must be a huge relief for pretty well everyone involved with SCCC.

AG - you owe me some indigestion tablets !

Grizzers

AGod 06 August, 2020 17:47
Sorry, Grizz!!

Loyal of Lhasa 06 August, 2020 17:52
Excellent news and splendid hyphen titillation.

Now all I want to read is "Jove resigns from Surrey and re-signs for Somerset."

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Scrumper 06 August, 2020 18:08
Brilliant news. Just get Dom to sign and they can have my membership.

Shepton Paul 2 06 August, 2020 18:31
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Owain Glyndwr 06 August, 2020 18:52
Brilliant news, though I feel sorry for poor old Jamie. Imagine not being able to celebrate the club's first ever County Championship with all his mates. Imagine having to so sit in that drab, dull Surrey dressing room whilst those you grew up with are hitting the town. Hey-ho, the joys of life, and all that malarkey.

Des Platt 06 August, 2020 18:56
Agree with all ; great news.

As was being said on another thread, depth of talent in County Cricket is not that good . There is a general shortage of charismatic players. Craig is one of those players who makes me sit up as I always think there’s something going to happen.

That Bloke With The Dog 06 August, 2020 18:58
If Bess were to leave, that would be understandable. His circumstances are different - still probably the second spinner at a ground where every wicket which falls to a spinner leaves the club worried about being docked points.

But the news about Craig makes a huge difference. It's not something I'm proud of admitting to, but without this development, I don't think I would have donated my membership. I was having serious doubts whether the club as we know it would still be going in 2021, and it would have felt like chucking the money away for nothing.

But this makes such a difference. A massive vote of confidence in the future.

AGod 06 August, 2020 20:03
Yeah, I can't really see Dom staying, to be honest.

Grockle 06 August, 2020 20:31
I mentioned on a twitter comment how significant and brave this decision is from Craig.

He hasn't just stayed at the county, he has confirmed his faith in what Somerset does and is.

Impressed by this as a statement.

(Sm72)

Loyal of Lhasa 06 August, 2020 21:56
Quote:
Owain Glyndwr
Brilliant news, though I feel sorry for poor old Jamie. Imagine not being able to celebrate the club's first ever County Championship with all his mates. Imagine having to so sit in that drab, dull Surrey dressing room ...

... and having to wear that dreary brown cap.

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

AGod 06 August, 2020 22:10
Well Craig certainly gave the lie to the notion that he'd be so upset about his brother leaving, that he'd also insist on upping sticks himself.

Given Craig's abilities and the relative paucity of the much of the pace-bowling landscape around the country, I think we can take it as read that there would have been considerable interest in his services and that he will, thus, have received multiple offers from TMCs etc

That's unless everyone, bar Surrey, is flat broke due to Covid and everyone else is holding off making offers to players from other counties until the ECB have finally offered clarification as to what Covid losses they will and won't be refunding (my suspicion, which wouldn't help Somerset - being as we do so well with non-cricketing income -- is that the ECB may provide compensation for "cricketing income," only e.g gate income, matchday sales etc).

I'd be surprised if Surrey themselves didn't make an offer for Craig. I assume that some of the money that would have been earmarked for Jamie may have been re-allocated to Craig to help persuade him to stay.

Speaking of Jamie, somebody told me that his nose was put out of joint by having been sent to Northants on loan last season. To my mind, he was sent there to find form after injury, and nothing more. But I was told that he took being loaned out as some kind of slight and indicative of a lack of true faith in him.

Somerset LaLaLa 06 August, 2020 22:27
Yes, we mustn't forget that the seeds to all this were sown during those loan periods. And besides Dom, we should hope that Jack can overcome his current difficult spell with England as a Somerset player

Grockle 06 August, 2020 23:37
Jamie does not seem to have been viewed the same way if we look back.

Someone pointed out the fact that three year contracts have not been unheard of in the last few years for bowlers at Somerset and Jamie was overlooked for white ball squads when fit.

It may have been part of a long term plan but it gives a player a perspective of his worth and that can be hard on a player looking to make an impact.

Once you have that impression it's hard to shake I would imagine.

(Sm72)

wsm fan 06 August, 2020 23:37
Quote:
AGod

Speaking of Jamie, somebody told me that his nose was put out of joint by having been sent to Northants on loan last season. To my mind, he was sent there to find form after injury, and nothing more. But I was told that he took being loaned out as some kind of slight and indicative of a lack of true faith in him.

Just a small correction AGod......

Jamie was NOT sent on loan.
Jamie forced a loan move which was very reluctantly agreed by Somerset.
Jamie WAS fit and available for selection from day 1 of last season.
He was not selected for the Kent squad of 15/16 or the Notts away match nor the following 50 over games.
Jamie wanted/needed to play matches.
HE secured a chance to do so ELSEWHERE.

Grockle 06 August, 2020 23:51
The Northampton loan was organised by Jamie's agent I am reliably informed and not by Somerset. He went there at his own request.

(Sm72)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net